Hey Maz !

The power tube sockets on the Herbert are

made of ceramik.

They are chassis mounted and the pins are

soldered into the PCB.

Best,

Peter
;)

Thanks for the info, Peter. Yes, the pic in the GP review shows that clearly! I was just going by what Rufus Leaking said. I should have looked.

For the sake of argument, why did you choose cermic over some type of plastic?

• Members
Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1251194

So, what's the point? It looked like they were mounted to the PCB and I didn't even look closely enough to observe the ceramic sockets through the holes in the PCB. Also, you couldn't tell from the picture whether the tubes were mounted to the chassis or PCB because the mounting hardware was obstructed from view by the PCB itself.

But, you were wrong on both counts. I just took what you said as fact instead of challenging you as I should have!

You said Herbert had, "...PCB mounted plastic tube sockets and ribbon cable vs chassis mounted ceramic tube sockets [on the Mako]..."

But, as Peter has clarified:

1.) Herbert uses cermic sockets, not plastic,

2.) Herbert power tube sockets are chassis mounted.

Who's spreading rumors here? :freak:

Shouldn't you be apologizing right about now for spreading falsehood?

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

So, what's the point? It looked like they were mounted to the PCB and I didn't even look closely enough to observe the ceramic sockets through the holes in the PCB. Also, you couldn't tell from the picture whether the tubes were mounted to the chassis or PCB because the mounting hardware was obstructed from view by the PCB itself.

But, you were wrong on both counts. I just took what you said as fact instead of challenging you as I should have!

You said Herbert had, "...PCB mounted plastic tube sockets and ribbon cable vs chassis mounted ceramic tube sockets [on the Mako]..."

But, as Peter has clarified:

1.) Herbert uses cermic sockets, not plastic,

2.) Herbert power tube sockets are chassis mounted.

Who's spreading rumors here?
:freak:

Shouldn't you be apologizing right about now for spreading falsehood?

My point was I took the info about PCB mounted tube sockets on the Herbert from your thread and your observations which were confirmed by other posters. After all, you're an EE - you would know.

I think you owe Peter Diezel a big apology. :D

Besides if the tube pins are sitting directly on the PCB how is that any better then if the sockets are mounted to the PCB? Shouldn't there be flying leads so that the PCB isn't flexed when a tube is inserted?

I don't remember the Herbert I had having ceramic sockets - if it did then I was wrong. But ceramic is actually worse then plastic according to you - right?

• Members
Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

My point was I took the info about PCB mounted tube sockets on the Herbert from your thread and your observations which were confirmed by other posters. After all, you're an EE - you would know.

I think you owe Peter Diezel a big apology.
:D

Besides if the tube pins are sitting directly on the PCB how is that any better then if the sockets are mounted to the PCB? Shouldn't there be flying leads so that the PCB isn't flexed when a tube is inserted?

I don't remember the Herbert I had having ceramic sockets - if it did then I was wrong. But ceramic is actually worse then plastic according to you - right?

The socket pins will not move because the socket to which the pins are fastened is secured to an object (the chassis) which will not move. Having shorter lead lengths (with the pins connected directly to the PCB could be argued to be better than the flying leads due to lower probability of EMI and human error in the wiring process.

I don't recall ever saying that Herbert used plastic sockets. YOU said that and I took it as Gospel because you owned one! I should have distrusted your observation and looked more closely at the Herbert pics to verify this before assuming you were correct.

Lastly, *I* never said one socket style was necessarily better than the other. I only said that many *builders* prefer plastic and then gave *their* reasons. Since we don't design with tubes here at Kodak, I have never thoroughly researched the issue. However, based on the little reserach I did for this thread, it appears that both Peter and Andrew should check into it. Plastic may indeed be better than ceramic.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Diezels are amazing amps and have a signature sound, either you like it or dont...i personally dont like them as much as other amps, but they do sound spectacular for the right people. I much prefer the tightness and stretched saturation of a Cobra for metal.

• Members
Just skimmed through the whole thread, holy {censored} 2/3s of the posters are long gone
:eek:
Gerlock as electric slide
:cop:

MAn those flame war days were awesome
:lol:

I did, too, and man, it really was a different scene back then. I liked the general list of players better than today.

Makes you wonder whatever happened to those folks. People like 666Dave666 :confused:

• Members

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I wonder whatever happened to Ass master... er, I mean Maz master.

As I recall he waited a year for the Diezel (all the while touting it as the best amp on the planet before he'd ever played or even seen one). Then finally threw in the towel and switched over to a Fuchs. Then he became Fuchs master and that became the greatest amp on the planet... :lol:

Threads like this are why I stopped posting :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Good to see this thread come back years later. I regret the way my post was first worded. All respect to Peter for his amps. I highly enjoy the flaming that went on though. Fighting about stupid {censored} is always fun. In retrospect, every amp talked about in this thread is top-notch and as Peter said its all in the ears of that player to which the sound makes him happy with an amp. I still love my recto, perhaps now more than ever. Four years of tweaking will do that to you.