So I Played a Herbert Today at GC

TexasDeathRide

• Members

I went to the North Dallas guitar center on 75 and was able to plug in and jam on a herbert through a diezel speaker loaded 4x12. I have to say i was impressed, but not $4100 impressed. Everyone who talks about them around here is basically right. The amp sounds like a very produced high gain mesa with rectifierish sag but it still plays tighter than my triple rec. The gain on channel 3 was over the top and the mid cut put chanel three into nu metal territory instantly. I still couldn't hear anything that said, this warrants twice the price of a recto. Maybe I didn't hear it in the right space or at the right distance from the cab but I went home, cranked the recto and my gas for the herbert died.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by Red&Die

TexasDeathRide:

Does the North Dallas guitar center close to Austin??? I might visit USA on July for Summer NAMM, and I need to find some shops where I can test Diezel....
:)

yeah, 4 hours close.....

I used to work at that GC back in '99

• Members

i have a friend who keeps saying "i sell all this {censored} and buy a diezel".

some people think that just because its like the most expensive high gain amp out there that it is automaticly the best.

i'll take my fja 5150 over any other high gain amp.

when i want some other flavor, or premium cleans, i always have my piece of {censored} boogie mark IIC+ :D

• Members

Originally posted by JimAnsell

some people think that just because its like the most expensive high gain amp out there that it is automaticly the best.

...and some people who have owned every other high channel switcher out there (sometimes two or more times) also think it's the best. ;)

I also own a few other amps which are more expensive than my Herbert, so as far as price goes, it's relative.

• Members

Originally posted by TexasDeathRide

It's funny that overseas mesa rectifiers are just as or more expensive then diezel and they give the same "it's better because it's more expensive" response I see abut diezel

I've never seen anyone overseas say that.

I've got a Dual Recto, and I've had two others. A friend of mine has a Herbert, and given a choice, I'd take the Herbert hands down. Nothing wrong with Rectos, but the Herbert has a Stellar Clean, great mid gain, and it kills the Rectos for high gain.

Taste is subjective, and luckily for you, you have the amp you prefer.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by TexasDeathRide

It's funny that overseas mesa rectifiers are just as or more expensive then diezel and they give the same "it's better because it's more expensive" response I see abut diezel

I have never seen anyone post that before ever since I have been posting here or other amp related forums either.

It's cool that you like your Triple Rectifier but, my experiences with the two amps are quite the opposite.

• Members
Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

I have a Recto and Herbert and the Herbert slays the recto. Definitelyworth the money for me.

When I had my '92 Recto, I compared it side by side with a friends Herbert. We played the Recto first and both thought it sounded great. Then we played and Herbert and WOW!! Then we went back to the Recto, and it didn't sound very good at all.:D

• Members

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

...and some people who have owned every other high channel switcher out there (sometimes two or more times) also think it's the best.
;)

I also own a few other amps which are more expensive than my Herbert, so as far as price goes, it's relative.

i'm not putting down the hubert or anything, but you can't deny the fact that for some people "most expensive = best".

i've never played a diezel, so i have zero opinion on them.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

It's no Dual Rectifier; they're very different sounding. It may have as much gain/distortion on tap, but comparing to a Dual Rectifier doesn't make much sense.

+1

Not a fair comparison at all. In fact, there's really nothing out there that you can compare a Diezel to. Like I said, they're in their own league. Nothing quite like them out there.

• Members

One of the horrendous things about the GC/Diezel deal is the fact that countless message boards will now be littered with people that spent 2 minutes at quiet volumes and $500 credit limits that want to bash it and claim how their "X" amp smoked it.

Sorry folks, but this is an amp that takes tweaking and understanding. To simply write it off as a high polished recto is bull{censored}.

And it has nothing to do with the fact I own one. I could easily sell mine and be happy with my JMP... and still have the same opinions. I've lent my Herbert out to a few and everyone seems to agree that it takes a day or two to REALLY understand what it is and how to get what you need out of it.

NO ONE ever said a Diezel was great because of the price. It's great because it reacts like a single channel amp, has an infinite aray of tones in it and is built like a tank.

"It's not for me" posts are fine, but give the amp an honest chance, instead of having a predisposition against it. To me, anyone who simply writes insults on the price, or lame comparisons to manufacturers DOESN'T GET IT.

No one ever posts a real amp review anymore.

S.

• Members

Originally posted by steve10358

One of the horrendous things about the GC/Diezel deal is the fact that countless message boards will now be littered with people that spent 2 minutes at quiet volumes and $500 credit limits that want to bash it and claim how their "X" amp smoked it.

Sorry folks, but this is an amp that takes tweaking and understanding. To simply write it off as a high polished recto is bull{censored}.

And it has nothing to do with the fact I own one. I could easily sell mine and be happy with my JMP... and still have the same opinions. I've lent my Herbert out to a few and everyone seems to agree that it takes a day or two to REALLY understand what it is and how to get what you need out of it.

NO ONE ever said a Diezel was great because of the price. It's great because it reacts like a single channel amp, has an infinite aray of tones in it and is built like a tank.

"It's not for me" posts are fine, but give the amp an honest chance, instead of having a predisposition against it. To me, anyone who simply writes insults on the price, or lame comparisons to manufacturers DOESN'T GET IT.

No one ever posts a real amp review anymore.

S.

I agree 110% and I don't have a Diezel, and I don't want one. A friend of mine has one, and when I played it I was extremely impressed, and thought it was a killer amp, but I'm in the "Not for me" group. I feel the same about VHT's.

I think you're right, now that they're in GC, it's going to be just like the kid with the Agile... "My Agile sounds better, and plays better than my dads friends real 59 Les Paul!!! RAWK!!1!11!!"

• Members

I am so glad you understood my post. At the end of the day, I realllly do not care that someone disliked something I like. Variety kicks ass... and their are certainly amps I have played that I liked or disliked as well. But I give each one a fair shake.

It's all good.

S.

• Members

Originally posted by Marshall Freak

I agree 110% and I don't have a Diezel, and I don't want one. A friend of mine has one, and when I played it I was extremely impressed, and thought it was a killer amp, but I'm in the "Not for me" group. I feel the same about VHT's.

I think you're right, now that they're in GC, it's going to be just like the kid with the Agile... "My Agile sounds better, and plays better than my dads friends real 59 Les Paul!!! RAWK!!1!11!!"

Rest assured you're not alone and we may have similar taste !! VHTs leave me cold and Diezel is OK but not for me.... Gimme a 2203 or a SLO any day !!