So youre sitting round a camp fire and someone hands you an acoustic guitar...

Johansolo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by HungPhat

and your allowed to play one song...(theres other guitarists sitting round too) ...

plus theres plenty of available babes around

what do you play?

Depends on the day. maybe.......

WILD HORSES

DEAD FLOWERS

HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY

ROCKY RACCOON

MR. JONES

TANGLED UP IN BLUE

IT AIN'T ME, BABE

BLUE EYES CRYING IN THE RAIN

MR. BOJANGLES

LET HER CRY

ALLISON ROAD

DIAMONDS AND RUST

Who knows

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I don't play acoustic at campfires. In fact, I find it very uncomfortable to play in any situation that wasn't set up as a performance. I guess I have such an aversion to "showing off" (my own interpretation of my own motives, not a judgment), or coming off pretentious that I won't play unless I am performing, rehearsing, recording, or by myself. I guess i just don't want to "inflict" myself and my ego on anyone.

Which is odd because I have friends that I love to hear in those situations. For others it's OK, in fact, I like it. But for some reason I just won't do it.

Good point.

I play at churches a lot and that is my biggest struggle. Well put.

• Members

Rain Song is great, but can be annoying to tune to and pisses off someone else there who doesn't know guitar very well and doesn't want to have to tune it back up.

I like to play things that hte people around me know, so a few I picked up because my friends like them:
Incubus-Pardon Me
Disarm/1979 -- Smashing Pumpkins
Everlong-- Foo Fighters
All Along the Watchtower-- Bob Dylan

• Members

Well I play acoustic quite a bit, so I'd probably lay down some soulful spanish influenced acoustic lines (ala Al DiMeola). I love playing that stuff... played a small gig doing that a few years back and actualy had people crying by the end.... so I figure that should (and has) work with the ladies:)

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

You really hit the nail on the head here.

I was never able to really express why I felt so uncomfortable when people would just tell me to "play something".

Best explanation I've heard yet.

I love to show off, but I always think that it's pretty much terrible when I do, so I don't do it very often.

I have somewhat the same reasons as Deathmonkey though; I'm really uncomfortable playing if it's not a planned performance.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Well I play acoustic quite a bit, so I'd probably lay down some soulful spanish influenced acoustic lines (ala Al DiMeola). I love playing that stuff... played a small gig doing that a few years back and actualy had people crying by the end.... so I figure that should (and has) work with the ladies:)

I've been dying to actually learn how to play like that.

• Members

Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

I've been dying to actually learn how to play like that.

Its called loving shred, but being too lazy to actualy plug into the amp and setup the processors.... so I just started doing it on acoustic and eventualy it stuck haha:D (granted this has been for like the past 10 years, now I dont really differentiate between acoustic or electric, its all the same to me).

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Its called loving shred, but being too lazy to actualy plug into the amp and setup the processors.... so I just started doing it on acoustic and eventualy it stuck haha:D (granted this has been for like the past 10 years, now I dont really differentiate between acoustic or electric, its all the same to me).

I think there is more to it than that. There is a certain acoustic style of play that you can tell a player spends most of their time on one side or hte other. I still play acoustic as though I am playing electric and the two don't translate right to my ears...

• Members

i agree with whoever said they wouldnt play anything ...im not a "jukebox" guitarist myself...i prefer to write my own stuff.

but i started this thread with an alteria motive...
i need to know songs... as im teaching a friend acoustic guitar but he hasnt told me what songs he wants to learn...only "songs on the radio and songs to get chicks"

so em yeah...i taught him "im the one who wants to be with you..." and i dont even know who sings it.

thanks for the replies guys...keep em coming.

• Members

Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

I think there is more to it than that. There is a certain acoustic style of play that you can tell a player spends most of their time on one side or hte other. I still play acoustic as though I am playing electric and the two don't translate right to my ears...

Yeah, I can see where your coming from. I guess when it comes down to it, my playing has an all around latin influence to it. So my acoustic playing has electric flare, and my electric playing has a bit of acoustic flare. I guess I'm just somewhere in the middle, but it works for me:)

• Members
Originally posted by yabba

Angel of Death

babes love the slayer! m/
:mad:
m/

I was hoping you'd say Weedthumb. :thu:

Slayer actually worked for me. My girlfriend was all over me when she heard me play Reign in Blood all the way through. She's a bigger Slayer fan than I am. Hot too.

• Members
Originally posted by rockstrongo

I was hoping you'd say Weedthumb.
:thu:

Slayer actually worked for me. My girlfriend was all over me when she heard me play Reign in Blood all the way through. She's a bigger Slayer fan than I am. Hot too.

bongzilla would make a good encore! :)

congrats on finding a slayer loving woman! (my girlfriend isn't much of a fan; she does like the fuzzed out stoner/doom stuff though :thu: )

• Members

If you can't play anything or won't play anything in this sort of situation people will think you suck.

Most guitarists should have at least three simple acoustic songs that everyone can sing along to in this situation. Play #1, if people like it play #2 and #3. After that pass the guitar on and talk to the chicks. You should have them all over you by now. Playing Killswitch engaged or Judas Priest licks on acoustic will not impress, nor get you chicks in this situation.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Brady

If you can't play anything or won't play anything in this sort of situation people will think you suck.

Most guitarists should have at least three simple acoustic songs that everyone can sing along to in this situation. Play #1, if people like it play #2 and #3. After that pass the guitar on and talk to the chicks. You should have them all over you by now. Playing Killswitch engaged or Judas Priest licks on acoustic will not impress, nor get you chicks in this situation.

Even if you aren't trying to impress gurlz, you still look like a dork playing that stuff in a solo situation on an acoustic especially!

• Members
Originally posted by HungPhat

and your allowed to play one song...(theres other guitarists sitting round too) ...

plus theres plenty of available babes around

what do you play?

I break a string on purpose right off the bat so I can't play anything because I suck on an acoustic.:D

• Members

I enjoy playing acoustic, mostly nylon string though. I enjoy flamenco more then straight classical but mixing the two is nice, so long as it's not "classical shred".

In this situation though, I'd probably play an acoustic version of the Misfits "Last Caress" though. Seems fitting.

-W

Archived