So youre sitting round a camp fire and someone hands you an acoustic guitar...

Johansolo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Drunken campfire acoustic improvised deathmetal is my specialty! I would do as I usually do, take the guitar and alternate pick off the top of my head for an hour straight. You have to throw in some latin style fingerpicked interludes here and there. And you need some slow held chords when the joints come by or you need to take another drink. Ocassionally a friend will improvise some growling or I will recieve furious hand drum accompaniment. Sadly, I will often reach a point where I am too drunk to continue.

• Members
Originally posted by Sqish

Drunken campfire acoustic improvised deathmetal is my specialty! I would do as I usually do, take the guitar and alternate pick off the top of my head for an hour straight. You have to throw in some latin style fingerpicked interludes here and there. And you need some slow held chords when the joints come by or you need to take another drink. Ocassionally a friend will improvise some growling or I will recieve furious hand drum accompaniment. Sadly, I will often reach a point where I am too drunk to continue.

This man is metal. M/ :mad: M/:D :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Norton666

If there's muff around, ALWAYS start with Saigon Kick "Love is on the way". Tunes dont get much more queer than that one, but if you can pull it off and sing it. They throw their panties at ya.

LMAO! Hey, I love the 80's just like the rest of us, but what age bracket are we thinking of here? Every rose, to be with you, and more than words? If that muff is 36 years old, has {censored} me bangs, aquanet, and a big FUPA, then yes, those undies are flying! But if we're talking 20s crowd, no {censored}ing way.

• Members

A good way to avoid that "showing off" feeling is to get the listeners involved. Songs they can hum or sing along with.

Ignoring that advice, I like to play...

"Hey hey, What Can I Do?" Zep
"She Caught the Katy" Taj Mahal

...or a nice acoustic treatment of "Crazy Train" where I vocally "weedly-weedly" the solo.

• Members

Originally posted by rich78

LMAO! Hey, I love the 80's just like the rest of us, but what age bracket are we thinking of here? Every rose, to be with you, and more than words? If that muff is 36 years old, has {censored} me bangs, aquanet, and a big FUPA, then yes, those undies are flying! But if we're talking 20s crowd, no {censored}ing way.

bwuaahahahha PWNED

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I don't play acoustic at campfires. In fact, I find it very uncomfortable to play in any situation that wasn't set up as a performance. I guess I have such an aversion to "showing off" (my own interpretation of my own motives, not a judgment), or coming off pretentious that I won't play unless I am performing, rehearsing, recording, or by myself. I guess i just don't want to "inflict" myself and my ego on anyone.

Which is odd because I have friends that I love to hear in those situations. For others it's OK, in fact, I like it. But for some reason I just won't do it.

bingo, however when I have been asked to play at get togethers I play a soleas and bularias.

• Members

Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I don't play acoustic at campfires. In fact, I find it very uncomfortable to play in any situation that wasn't set up as a performance. I guess I have such an aversion to "showing off" (my own interpretation of my own motives, not a judgment), or coming off pretentious that I won't play unless I am performing, rehearsing, recording, or by myself. I guess i just don't want to "inflict" myself and my ego on anyone.

Which is odd because I have friends that I love to hear in those situations. For others it's OK, in fact, I like it. But for some reason I just won't do it.

maybe you should think of it as a performance, dont just run over and grab the guitar and start playing, but if someone says "hey Deathmonkey you should play a song?" then its not you showing off or having an ego. its someone asking you to play and you should honor that request

if you are talented and are not delibertly showing off, most people that dont play instruments are very interested and intrigued by people who know how to play, and I think a lot of people appreciate someone who will sit down and share their talent with someone, but most people do not want to hear death metal on acoustic, well most people dont want to hear death metal in general

• Members
Originally posted by rich78

When we do that song all the "under 25" years old gurlz are singing along and know all the words. Same with a lot of the classic rock stuff. Show me a 25 year old female that doesn't know most of the words to TALK DIRTY TO ME or even SWEET HOME ALABAMA.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Whe we do that song akll the "under 25" years old gurlz are singing along and know all the words. Same with a lot of the classic rock stuff. Show me a 25 year old female that doesn't know most of the words to TALK DIRTY TO ME or even SWEET HOME ALABAMA.

good point, why do cover bands still play those songs....well, because people still like those songs

Archived