KORG KRONOS

mildbill

• Members

SUre it's by design, but the VJS should have some tension or dare I say, a tension adjustment. After some time, I can definitely see that joystick flopping to the bottom all the time on an angled keyboard stand because it's too loose.

Yah, I haven't seen a Kronos in person yet, so I couldn't comment on that.

I can say that it's never been the slightest concern on the O, though I've always had it on a level stand and they (OASYS) seem to have a higher build spec (than the Kronos).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. This is a small problem.

A power supply problem, screen problem or OS problem -- that's big.

The plastic data wheel is functionally important. Yes. But I don't see it as

a big problem.

Not a "big" problem from a player's point of view. Kind of a biggie from Korg's point of view I would think, because I suspect its going at least delay a lot of people's purchase of the Kronos. You know, "I think I'll wait a few months 'til they sort out the initial problems." Then there's the issue of fixing it on the keyboards already in the field (or the fallout of not fixing it if they elect not to do so).

D7

• Members

Not a "big" problem from a player's point of view. Kind of a biggie from Korg's point of view I would think, because I suspect its going at least delay a lot of people's purchase of the Kronos. You know, "I think I'll wait a few months 'til they sort out the initial problems." Then there's the issue of fixing it on the keyboards already in the field (or the fallout of not fixing it if they elect not to do so).

D7

That's assuming it even needs fixed.

How are these coming off? Was someone disassembling one and found this, or did it just pop off on its own?

Makes a big difference. If they're secure how they are, I'm honestly not gonna worry about it.

If they're flying off, I have no doubt Korg will address it.

• Members

How are these coming off? Was someone disassembling one and found this, or did it just pop off on its own?

From what I've read on other forums, people are stating the knob did indeed "just pop off on its own." The knob is only attached by double-faced tape and not on an actual shaft.

• Members

That's assuming it even needs fixed.

Makes a big difference. If they're secure how they are, I'm honestly not gonna worry about it.

If they're flying off, I have no doubt Korg will address it.

Tape will dry out sooner or later, whether it is after 6 months in a cool temperature studio or 6 days in a warm temperature studio. Not to mention users who gig with this board and discover a missing data knob after they have arrived at their destination. Seriously, you can't have a piece of tape holding a major knob on a $3,000 workstation.

In part 3 of the YellowChops build quality video the reviewer is so concerned about the loose vector joystick that he mentions it again towards the end of this segment. This is certainly an issue. Can the joystick tension be adjusted? If so, then how is it done? Has anyone adjusted it yet?

• Members

The tape looks like a temporary thing - it looks like there's a lip on the the knob and a corresponding flange on the knob body, that's what's supposed to bear the stress I'd imagine.

so maybe the knob will eventually grow into it's surroundings? That certainly would be a game changer...

• Members

I just read about the knob problem - I did a little review of the kronos in a Yamaha moX thread a while back and mentioned how crappy that dial felt. Little did I know just how crappy it was!

They also had a Kronos there.

Sounds fine, didn't quite knock my socks off or anything though. I thought there would be a lot more expression/modulation possibilities programmed in the acoustic instruments using AT/velocity/ribbon/joystick etc...

The screen is ridiculous - the type is in like a 2 point font. It's nearly impossible to tell what is going on - half of the area is taken up by stupid little hi-res pictures of what you're playing (like an electribe!?).

The design/UI overall is pretty bad I think. For instance: sitting down I coudn't read what the knobs are pre-assigned to because they are too tall and close to the type! The board as a whole was awkward to read/navigate around and not very intuitive.

Oh, and the main jog wheel was one of the worst rotaries I've ever used! Hopefully it was just this one.

I wouldn't expect that kind of quality on the budget moX (or a casio) - nevermind a $3000+ flagship. It's insulting really.

I wanted to like it (not love it - because I can't afford it!)... but, something about the Kronos just seemed off for me when I played it - it didn't FEEL like an instrument.

• Members

...In part 3 of the YellowChops build quality video the reviewer is so concerned about the loose vector joystick that he mentions it again towards the end of this segment. This is certainly an issue. Can the joystick tension be adjusted? If so, then how is it done? Has anyone adjusted it yet?

Have you ever used a VJS on a Korg product?

There isn't supposed to be any more tension than enough to hold it in whatever position you leave it in, period.

Jesus, you people will nagg on anything whether you have a clue what you're talking about or not...

• Members
Wow, that took a while to load and I don't like how loose that vector joystick is. I really think I'll reconsider when the EX model comes out.
:(

From the photos, I am guessing the Kronos Vector Joystick is the same one as in the OASYS (minus the LED rings on the outside).

From the video, that VJS appears to work just like the one on the OASYS. There is no problem with it. That is how it is supposed to be.

• Members

From the photos, I am guessing the Kronos Vector Joystick is the same one as in the OASYS (minus the LED rings on the outside).

From the video, that VJS appears to work just like the one on the OASYS. There is no problem with it. That is how it is supposed to be.

I hope your right but the looseness of it just gives me pause. The KRONOS is a fine instrument. Load time can be improved with a software update, and endcaps can be replaced with wood, but I would really feel better about it if the VJS wasn't so loose or one had the ability to adjust the tension with a small allen wrench. Just a thought to Korg. Besides, I still adore my M3. :)

• Members

Hi all,

I'm reposting this from Korgforums:

We understand that a small number of our first Kronos customers have a value dial that can be removed too easily. We are acquiring a supply of newly-designed replacement dials, which will be available for free from your local Korg distributor. If your Kronos has a loose value dial, please do NOT use glue or any other kind of adhesive to attempt to secure it, as this can void your warranty. Please also note that this problem has been fixed for current and future Kronos production.

To find and contact your local Korg distributor, please use this link:
http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/

Thanks,
-Rich :thu:

• Members

Martin / Carbon it appears the knob slides into a ring. The ring on the main board has inward facing dog tags and the knob has a crown to engage these.

It is possible the knob moulding is a tad smaller (mould shrinkage) than designed and so the intended double sided tape which would probably be OK is failing, users report sideways movement before it pops out. This could be the ring unit or the fit. I simply do not know but what I have seen and read suggests this will be an issue for giggers and peeps with kids. Otherwise a fun synth and all who want to buy should not let this put them off.

I agree regarding the joystick. I suspect that uses a friction disk which will probably give years of low friction by design.. clever stuff.

People should try this synth out if they want it..

Those that have it, should stop reading this stuff if it upsets them...

There are allot of Boeing 777's with a bent carbon fibre tail fins due to the Australian contractors not allowing for shrinkage in their design... happens to the best of them...

• Members

Hi all,

I'm reposting this from Korgforums:

We understand that a small number of our first Kronos customers have a value dial that can be removed too easily. We are acquiring a supply of newly-designed replacement dials, which will be available for free from your local Korg distributor. If your Kronos has a loose value dial, please do NOT use glue or any other kind of adhesive to attempt to secure it, as this can void your warranty. Please also note that this problem has been fixed for current and future Kronos production.

To find and contact your local Korg distributor, please use this link:

http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/

Thanks,

-Rich
:thu:

Here's the fire extinguisher.

:wave:

Archived