KORG KRONOS

mildbill

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

was at the korg store to get nanokontrol2 and some cables, and there was a kronos on display. I refuse to test it ! but I aim to get it in 2014 at least. it's blacker than shown in photos. but I somewhat have gas for Jupiter 80 too. am happy now that my keyboards are not under utilized. korg m1 for choirs, wavestation for pads, pc3le for orchestrals.

• Members

Sigh... this is starting to remind me of how I can personally drive the stock market. All I have to do is sell some stock to make the price go up a few dollars per share the next day. Either that or I can hold to hope the price goes up a little more and then the market crashes the next morning.

So far I have no issues with my Kronos knob and if I had not been reading forums I would be blissfully unaware and content. I am just going to try not worry for now, enjoy the board, and trust that will Korg do the best they can to rectify this if it really is an issue. There are always glitches.

There are plenty of trolls on the (unofficial) Korg forums. I don't know the history of peoples' posts there, but to a new person there have been some pretty obvious attempts at destruction of Korg's and the Kronos' image. I do not think that other companies are hiring people to run smear campaigns, but rather there are some people out there who seem to get kicks from doing this.

• Members

There are plenty of trolls on the (unofficial) Korg forums. I don't know the history of peoples' posts there, but to a new person there have been some pretty obvious attempts at destruction of Korg's and the Kronos' image. I do not think that other companies are hiring people to run smear campaigns, but rather there are some people out there who seem to get kicks from doing this.

I agree--it would be better to deal with facts vs. rumor.

Has anyone contacted Korg tech support directly regarding these issues?

• Members

This isn't surprising. The Karma keyboard, for instance, which seems built like a rock (and generally, is), had a persistent problem with the joystick rubbing against some wires that eventually short them out. The Triton's knobs were small and easy to mess up.

The Roland VS-1680 killed itself in the marketplace with its datawheel problem, which turned out to be both mechanical and electrical.

Really, in my mind this is like Weiner's Twitter photos: if this kind of cheese is visible out the gate for the new synth, what else could be crummy in its design and materials? If the mention above of the fan noise is that it's about "like an old computer fan,"..... jeeez.

Yeah, not worth the price at this point, is all I'd have to say. Too bad.

• Members

It isn't just rumor. Read the actual user reports on the Korg forum. View the photos. Watch the videos. No one is faking the photos or videos!

There were pictures on one of the forums that have since disappeared. I didn't know there were any vids.

• Members

This isn't surprising. The Karma keyboard, for instance, which seems built like a rock (and generally, is), had a persistent problem with the joystick rubbing against some wires that eventually short them out. The Triton's knobs were small and easy to mess up.

The Roland VS-1680 killed itself in the marketplace with its datawheel problem, which turned out to be both mechanical and electrical.

Really, in my mind this is like Weiner's Twitter photos: if this kind of cheese is visible out the gate for the new synth, what else could be crummy in its design and materials? If the mention above of the fan noise is that it's about "like an old computer fan,"..... jeeez.

Yeah, not worth the price at this point, is all I'd have to say. Too bad.

As a user of many data wheels, I'd say Kurzweil makes the most infallible ones in the bunch. Even going back to the original K2000, they always had a very solid feel to them. Very metallic in a good way, and smooth and precise. I like the gentle "click" it gives as you turn it. It also stands out more from the panel, and it's BIG for easy grabbing. I have big hands, and rarely ever use the finger depression to spin the dial.

The Triton has my least favorite data wheel. It's small and inset, and ever since I bought the unit new many years ago it never actually turned in a perfect circle. It always rubbed slightly against one edge.

• Members

The overall build quality looks good, but there are obviously a couple issues as already discussed. With problems like these at release date this is a definite "wait and see" purchase, if you are undecided.

What makes workstations like the Kronos and MOTIF take so long to boot? Linux has been available for ages and processors become better every year. Yet the boot up time for workstations keeps increasing even with an SSD inside.

• Members

I agree. This is a small problem.

A power supply problem, screen problem or OS problem -- that's big.

The plastic data wheel is functionally important. Yes. But I don't see it as

a big problem.

If I was about to buy one I would look forward to fixing the wheel... Pimped with vegas effect LEDs .... Yeah

• Members

It isn't just rumor. Read the actual user reports on the Korg forum. View the photos. Watch the videos. No one is faking the photos or videos!

Yes, it seems like a non-trivial number of owners are reporting in with a data wheel issue. However there are also lots of people making big and "LOUD" posts, if you get what I mean. The signal-to-noise is not really large, but it appears to be large enough for detection.

This sort of thing does nibble at the back of my mind, but I am trying to not let it hurt my enjoyment of playing and learning this new board, which has so far been considerable. I spent Saturday evening playing with the board while soft rain fell outside. It was a cool night and the high fidelity sound of the synth and the rain outside provided a very surreal and peaceful atmosphere for me. I played until after bed time and I was falling asleep in my chair.

• Members

What makes workstations like the Kronos and MOTIF take so long to boot? Linux has been available for ages and processors become better every year. Yet the boot up time for workstations keeps increasing even with an SSD inside.

Wow, that took a while to load and I don't like how loose that vector joystick is. I really think I'll reconsider when the EX model comes out. :(

• Members

I don't think I've ever really used the data wheel, and I've had Korgs since the X2/X3 came out.

Not a problem here.

I've never had a problem with my Korg keyboards either. Some people just gorilla their boards!

• Members

Wow, that took a while to load and I don't like how loose that vector joystick is. I really think I'll reconsider when the EX model comes out.
:(

Yeah, these (Oasys/Kronos) aren't crappy ROM-based boards. If you want one of those, you're really shopping a completely different segment.

As for the VJS, they're supposed to be feather-light. It's not a pitch wheel...They're not spring-loaded, don't return to position and are super-easy to adjust...That's all by design.

• Members

Yeah, these (Oasys/Kronos) aren't crappy ROM-based boards. If you want one of those, you're really shopping a completely different segment.

As for the VJS, they're supposed to be feather-light. It's not a pitch wheel...They're not spring-loaded, don't return to position and are super-easy to adjust...That's all by design.

SUre it's by design, but the VJS should have some tension or dare I say, a tension adjustment. After some time, I can definitely see that joystick flopping to the bottom all the time on an angled keyboard stand because it's too loose.

Archived