NAMM 2012

mildbill

• Members

VST to me is limited in lack of good copyright protection and on board DSP processing. I would think that a DSP based USB box would act as a dongle and still allow for higher quality VSTs to made, but no one cares apparently. icon_lol.gif they all need their wub cheap and fast.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been wondering recently about the possibility of using an FPGA in an analog circuit as a sort of re-wireable analog synth. Not sure if that's actually possible (I do have a "cd" that demonstrates the concept in a way -- Tristan Perich's "1-Bit Symphony"), but at the end of the day an FPGA outputs voltages on pins. Amplification and modulation of those voltages seems to be the main task, plus perhaps stabilizing them (are the signals coming out of the chip too noisy to use as analog sound sources?). Also, I'm not sure if any of the pins can output continuous voltages (i.e. perhaps you can only get a square wave, although that could be modified to create other waveforms). And then, of course, coming up with different "programs" that are useful that reconfigure the chip in ways that make sense. Almost like a SID but you could rewire the analog and digital parts of it, say, to implement more filters or more oscillators (depending on your needs at the time). Anyways, thinking out loud.

Adding, after some googling what I probably ought to play with is an FPAA -- Field Programmable Analog Array.

Edit: like this -- http://servenger.com/products/ordernow.html

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

Truly. cry.gif

I think the days of fantastic leaps in instrument technology are behind us. Now it's just increments in price or minor features. Whoop-ti-doo.

The KRONOS has been released. It will be "catch up" for the other synth makers for years to come. Everybody can go home now.

• Members

My wish for 2012 is for manufacturers to put much more emphasis on quality keybeds. M-Audio is the poster child, of course, but I've demoed cheap, lousy feeling actions recently on Yamaha, Korg and Roland, also. I thought the Korg M50 61/73 was atrocious for an over-$1000 board. And the cheap Yamaha synth is also awful (MO6?).

If they are only going to concentrate on great sounds and electronic wow, just make modules. They seem to forget that people have to play these things, and love doing so.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic

View Post

My wish for 2012 is for manufacturers to put much more emphasis on quality keybeds. M-Audio is the poster child, of course, but I've demoed cheap, lousy feeling actions recently on Yamaha, Korg and Roland, also. I thought the Korg M50 61/73 was atrocious for an over-$1000 board. And the cheap Yamaha synth is also awful (MO6?).

If they are only going to concentrate on great sounds and electronic wow, just make modules. They seem to forget that people have to play these things, and love doing so.

+1

It's ridiculous to charge $1000+ for a keyboard that has the keybed of a $99 Casio.

mad.gif

• Members

Modules and software both helped me to evaluate actual keyboard capabilities separately from their sound generating capabilities.

IOW - it's possible to have a great keyboard with not so great sounds - and vice-versa. It's a rare board that gives you both acceptable features and sounds.

• Members

If building a VST host box was simple or cheap then we would all happily own a V-Machine or Receptor. Both are customized PCs under the hood and they still have issues.

It would be better to define a new open-source plugin standard that was designed from the ground up with hardware hosting in mind.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Conbrio

View Post

+1

It's ridiculous to charge $1000+ for a keyboard that has the keybed of a $99 Casio.

mad.gif

+1000

All three of my dirt cheap synths from the eighties (Esq-1, Alpha Juno 1, and D-50) have nicer keyboard feel than any modern chinese-made mid level keyboards from Korg, Yamaha, Roland etc...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic

View Post

I thought the Korg M50 61/73 was atrocious for an over-$1000 board. And the cheap Yamaha synth is also awful (MO6?).

I thought that it's a general consensus that MO6 has better Keys than Korg M50-61.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by liliththekitten

View Post

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

It's like a Moog Dark Energy. DO WANT.

I will sneak it past home security... Lay low... say very little.. try not to smile... act normal... they won't notice... LOL

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scenicsquare

View Post

awesome new moooooooooooooog!

New wave shape (square) and audio in. Less LFO shapes.. Full ANA/Bull circuits. It will be interesting to here the new waves at those frequencies and power characters... More than I could wish for as the T3 is too big and pricey for my needs, this thing is perfect...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

New wave shape (square) and audio in. Less LFO shapes.. Full ANA/Bull circuits. It will be interesting to here the new waves at those frequencies and power characters... More than I could wish for as the T3 is too big and pricey for my needs, this thing is perfect...

Probably won't be long till everyone wants a Moog Minitaur. wink.gif

icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme

View Post

Gaul, it does. M50's keys feels so much "air", as horrible as alesis QS

although, I think it is intended to keep the weight down. 7+kg vs MO6's 10+ kg.

when I disassembled my Korg 01/w, I find the heaviest part is the keybed

Makes me wonder. How much would modern cheap keybeds improve if you glue a weight under each key?

edit: apparently some people have done this with succes:

http://www.butoba.net/nordlead/nl2weight.html

http://forum.ukpianos.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1708

Archived