NAMM 2012

mildbill

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
Does the novelty of something dumb like this from a bunch of Apple fanboy hipsters make up for the uninteresting and rather bland rendition of a song that could have been better a million different ways?
Apple fanboy hipsters would never be caught dead playing Christmas music in Christmas hats, but yeah, that video was dripping cheese.

In practice, the iPad is just a proper Muse Receptor waiting to happen. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more iOS music peripherals this NAMM

• Members

Kinda hoping DSI comes out with a Tetra keyboard. Seems like a logical progression.

Also ditto with Korg's Monotron. I'd also like to see a two oscillator model with either midi or USB.

No Roland countdown yet? They must be up to something.

And I have a scary hunch that Yamaha will officially exit the synth market. They'll likely just focus on epianos and home keys.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bruto

View Post

And I have a scary hunch that Yamaha will officially exit the synth market. They'll likely just focus on epianos and home keys.

I hope that's not true. Yamaha makes good synths, has a very loyal following, and gives other synth makers competition and drive to continue to innovate.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post

....And I have a scary hunch that Yamaha will officially exit the synth market...

They've already done that when they dropped plug-in board support when the Motif XS came out.
Last time I checked, the Yamaha VL-70m was still available. That was their last synthesizer AFAIK.
But I checked again just now, and it looks like you can't get them anymore. So as of right now, Yamaha isn't making any synthesizers.
Maybe they'll get their feet wet again at NAMM 2012. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mildbill View Post
They've already done that when they dropped plug-in board support when the Motif XS came out.
Last time I checked, the Yamaha VL-70m was still available. That was their last synthesizer AFAIK.
But I checked again just now, and it looks like you can't get them anymore. So as of right now, Yamaha isn't making any synthesizers.
Maybe they'll get their feet wet again at NAMM 2012. idn_smilie.gif
This news will upset the interwabs

• Members

Yamaha is due to replace MM6, and give us a new VA (long awaited successor or AN1X) and a new masterkeyboard line, as KX series is not anymore offered.

Korg might replace Microstation with Microstation XL. Microstation is not anymore available at top stores in Germany and it was sold for a about half the price quite long. Also, M50 might be replaced with something containing waveform set from Kronos. There is a rebate offered for M50 currently.

Roland is still pretty up to date apart from top of the line Fantom G. Also, we still await for replacement of JP-8000, and Gaia was not one.

Kurzweil just changed it's line up and is quite up to date, except if they come up with the entry-level synth such as was KME61 in it's time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by marino View Post
Hybrid? I'm envisioning a "Monotron Pro" with three of those oscillators, a couple of filters, two LFOs, three EGs, a delay and little else. ALL ANALOG. No patch memory, not even MIDI. Put it in a box with a three-octave keyboard and wheels, sell it for $600 or so, and you'll have the ultimate fun synth. I'd buy it! smile.gif

All the pieces are just waiting for Korg to take the plunge.
What you describe sounds a bit like the MiniMoog Voyager Old School - at a workingman's price.
I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
M50 might be replaced with something containing waveform set from Kronos. There is a rebate offered for M50 currently.
Well, we should see a replacement for the M3 first if there is going to be any Kronos spin off.

I'm hoping for something with at least 4 or 5 synth engines, KARMA, SSD, and a larger touch screen than the M3 currently has.

thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mildbill View Post
All the pieces are just waiting for Korg to take the plunge.
Exactly.

What you describe sounds a bit like the MiniMoog Voyager Old School - at a workingman's price.
Exactly.

I bet it'd sell like hotcakes.
Exactly!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ View Post
Kinda hoping DSI comes out with a Tetra keyboard. Seems like a logical progression.

Dave himself said that this is not likely.
It's been said before, but hoping that Dave or his minions pop this way every once in a while, I'd love to see an updated P08 with the features of the Tetra, plus an improved multimode filter (although a serial HP/BP into LP would be even more awesome!). Seems more logical to me, too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Conbrio View Post
Well, we should see a replacement for the M3 first if there is going to be any Kronos spin off.

I'm hoping for something with at least 4 or 5 synth engines, KARMA, SSD, and a larger touch screen than the M3 currently has.

thumb.gif
I understood that Kronos is replacement for M3, but Korg has a good habit to keep their old lines alive as long as possible. That's why we, besides M3, still have in offer Microkorg ("replaced" by Microkorg XL), and X50 ("replaced" by PS60). True, PS60 is more performance keyboard than X50, but still, that how the shift is moving.

I might be wrong in my assertions.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
I understood that Kronos is replacement for M3,
I seem to recall one of the Korg reps saying Kronos was the new flagship... like the Oasys had been. I assume that meant the M3 was now second in line with the M50 being third.

I can't see Korg bringing out a replacement for the M50 containing various Kronos features with the M3 still in production with older technology. Could be wrong, but I'd expect an M5 or something like that replacing the M3 first.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Conbrio View Post
I seem to recall one of the Korg reps saying Kronos was the new flagship... like the Oasys had been. I assume that meant the M3 was now second in line with the M50 being third.

I can't see Korg bringing out a replacement for the M50 containing various Kronos features with the M3 still in production with older technology. Could be wrong, but I'd expect an M5 or something like that replacing the M3 first.
A tricky one, the KRONOS goes beyond the OASYS but in a lower cost build. So in some ways it sits between the two as it can be as practical as the M3 but as functional as the OASYS.

I think the M50 is the one that could see a KRONOS lite version as a replacement. Hard to say as they have been churning existing tech with the Micro products so they may still keep some of the M50 sound engine in some format. May be they will replace both the M3 and M50 that way and merge them into a KRONOS Lite

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
May be they will replace both the M3 and M50 that way and merge them into a KRONOS Lite
Yeah... after writing my last post, that came to mind.

Still, Korg offers various price points for workstations and since the Kronos starts at $3000, they may introduce a lite Kronos (with 20% fewer calories) at $2000, and an entry-level one (micro-kronos) at $1000.

icon_lol.gif

• Members

Yamaha come on....
I can not say this enough:

Make a synth... With full FM, VA, VL, and Sample based synthesis, a very smart and hands on control surface with pots sliders and select buttons for as many parameters as possible. And make it 16 part multitimbral, with 16 effects processors, tons of polyphony and total integration with mac or pc.

They can do it, I would sell my Kronos to get one.
I would die of happiness if I got one.

Archived