NAMM 2012

mildbill

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Robbins

View Post

It would be logical to think that the price difference between the mopho module and the mopho keyboard would be the same as between the tetra module and the tetra keyboard. If there was to be a tetra keyboard, it would be the same keyboard case as the Mopho keyboard, but in black.

If we are imagining a product called the Tetra keyboard let's see. It would have to be 4 voices with the ability to polychain a second Tetra box for 8, it would need 37 keys and a keyboard design like the MEK, aftertouch, knobs, knobs, and more knobs, good software, and a price tag of around $1,700US. For the record, I would pay this for a DSI with the Tetra sound and keyboard in one, plus portability, the cool black color, the sub OSC, and a half dozen other things that make the Tetra great.

Please Dave reconsider. I don't think I am alone here.

• Members

As stated earlier, why not just buy the Mopho keyboard and polychain it to the Tetr4? That was the whole point (from the DSI perspective). However, I think you'd much prefer the form factor that you suggested? A Mopho keyboard and a Tetr4 can be had for less than $1700 USD. It would be portable, have 5 voices with sub-osc, and be tweaked/edited with all the knobs from the Mopho keyboard. In fact, this is most likely what I am going to do. I'm a big fan of my Tetr4. I'd love to have that one extra voice and the knobs from the Mopho keyboard for editing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ

View Post

If we are imagining a product called the Tetra keyboard let's see. It would have to be 4 voices with the ability to polychain a second Tetra box for 8, it would need 37 keys and a keyboard design like the MEK, aftertouch, knobs, knobs, and more knobs, good software, and a price tag of around $1,700US. For the record, I would pay this for a DSI with the Tetra sound and keyboard in one, plus portability, the cool black color, the sub OSC, and a half dozen other things that make the Tetra great.

Please Dave reconsider. I don't think I am alone here.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Palaver

View Post

As stated earlier, why not just buy the Mopho keyboard and polychain it to the Tetr4? That was the whole point (from the DSI perspective). However, I think you'd much prefer the form factor that you suggested? A Mopho keyboard and a Tetr4 can be had for less than $1700 USD. It would be portable, have 5 voices with sub-osc, and be tweaked/edited with all the knobs from the Mopho keyboard. In fact, this is most likely what I am going to do. I'm a big fan of my Tetr4. I'd love to have that one extra voice and the knobs from the Mopho keyboard for editing purposes.

I would do it, because Dave was pretty clear about his vision of the Tetra desktop and the Mopho keyboard as the answer to knobs and a keyboard for the Tetra. This is a great combo for the studio guy who will hook this up and leave it.

I would make it work live as well by racking the Tetra with a line mixer and have them hooked together. Just add the Mohpo keyboard and any other keyboards to the line mixer and be done. Oh yeah and the polychain cable.

• Members

What I am dreading is an Octatrack update to the MIDI implementation that actually allows realtime looping from any MIDI foot controller (some pieces are in there, but all from what I understand), as well as an update that finally adds the Looper machine (with full functionality).

I dread it because I'd be compelled to buy one if it happens.

• Members

View Post

Are we officially off topic?

Sorry about that. Happens from time to time.

Did I mention I want Yamaha to make a Synth Based on AWM2, AFM and VA synthesis with a smart and easy Nord like control surface? It is what my day-dreams are all about before every NAMM. I hope they will add a synth into their lineup, any at all really. More to confirm that they haven't quit doing synths, except for Motif workstations.

If Korg would make a Synth based on MOD-7 engine from Oasys/Kronos, it would be interessting too.

Access should come up with something soon I hope.

Tom Oberheim may have a Project X going on. http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/05/new...erheim-in.html

Can't wait for NAMM.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Fulton

View Post

Yes cop.gif

BTW there is one thing you do lose with polychaining Mopho + Tetra...combo mode doesn't work frown.gif

I own a desktop Evo and a PE rack and it's the same story with that rig horse.gif

That is a bummer. So it is more like a polyphonic Mohpo keyboard than a Tetra with a keyboard and knobs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey

View Post

IMO don't expect too much from the big 3 this year. The release of the Jupiter 80 and Kronos last year will be it for a couple of years.

You forgot to mention Yamaha. They only have outdated workstations and Stage pianos. A synth with pots and sliders is missing.

• Members

View Post

Plus the XF is not really that old.

True, and it may take another year or so, but I'd like to see Yamaha come up with something truly innovative (and I'm sure many others here agree). The Motif has always sold well over the years with its upgrades and improvements, but it's still "more of the same". If Yamaha produced something like the Kronos--including Karma and drum riffs--it would definitely be the next "game changer."

We can only hope.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Conbrio

View Post

True, and it may take another year or so, but I'd like to see Yamaha come up with something truly innovative (and I'm sure many others here agree). The Motif has always sold well over the years with its upgrades and improvements, but it's still "more of the same". If Yamaha produced something like the Kronos--including Karma and drum riffs--it would definitely be the next "game changer."

We can only hope.

idn_smilie.gif

If Yamaha was to make gamechanging workstation, they should go all the way back to EX 5 and SY77 and start from there:

EX 5:

AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory) Synthesis, AN (Analog Physical Modeling) Synthesis, FDSP (Formulated Digital Sound Processing) Synthesis, Virtual Acoustic (VL) Synthesis.

SY77:

6 operator AFM synth with 45 algorithms, 3 feedback loops and 16 waveforms.

Now put this together into a nice keyboard with huge touch display. And upgrade specs up to todays standards, you would have the new Gamechanger from Yamaha. Edit: And sequencer and total integration with a computer.

Then make a synth based on the same specs, but with a nice frontpanel for programming and without sequencer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Conbrio View Post

We can only hope.

idn_smilie.gif
I think Kronos and Jupiter-80 make Motifs even more appealing to certain segment. There's lots of people who want quality bread&butter sounds out of the box and Motif has always fullfilled that need. Kronos and JP-80 are heavenly synths for tweakers, but I don't think multiple synth engines, gigabytes of piano samples or 512 oscillators really appeal to somebody who plays country in the band. KSS and Gearslutz aren't the only marketing segments...

E: Despite that, I would really like to see todays version of EX5. But no touch display, please.

• Members

The worst thing on that EX5 is that AN part could only be 2 note polyphonic... whereas AN1x is 10 voice polyphonic. It's a shame Yamaha didn't have dynamic voice allocation back then. It's also limited when using AN, FDSP or VL in Performance mode, and chops off insertion effects from 3 out of 4 parts if you use any of those...

Now if Yamaha would bring the EX5 concept in 2012, it would surely mean a lot more polyphony and DVA, and more FX power so you don't ever lose any effects. Along with SY77 FM power, it would really be amazing, I reckon!

Archived