OT: The Photography Thread

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Diametro

View Post

BTW, Bonso ... You have my permission to ignore me ...

And you have my permission to ignore this whole thread altogether and stop clogging it the {censored} up with your bull{censored} posts. Take your PMS elsewhere.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave106

View Post

Ah, okay. You are correct there. In practice, the big distinction is commercial applications. You really don't need a model release form for photographic exhibits or even if you sell prints of a photograph ("art" applications).

You *do* need a model release form the instant you slap that photo on an advertisement, album cover, commercial web site, kiosk, or any "business" application -- at least, if you are making money. Elsewise, the person could sue for a piece of the profit that comes from using their likeness. (If you are not making money from said image, no one is going to sue, of course. icon_lol.gif)

I have found a good resource which covers that in detail:

http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html

Section 8.5 Art, Books, Exhibitions, Presentations, Etc.

It's funny while looking for that to support what you say re art I found one site that kind of weaseled towards saying ''well actually to be safe here is a copy of a model release form to use in case'' icon_lol.gif

Other art forums where also concluding to stay out of court do a release even for art. Especially given you may be the unlucky one a judge suddenly decides to rule against...

My personal feeling is yes to model release as it means the subject is also agreeing for you to use their image. It is a bit risky and imoral to rely on the art clause. In an extreme case an individual could find a way of getting even with you if the courts failed them on the grounds of art work... eek.gif

Having said that the law is the law and if your allowed in the states, then it is your choice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

Two red original VW Beetles in one pic?

I want one of those, by the way. smile.gif

Nice photos, Grumphh.

Thx, yours too - and btw, i too was intrigued by the Santa Monica photo. At first glance i would have guessed some arab country.

And the beetle seems to be the mexican national car - although they are not all red - there is one in almost every picture of a mexican city street that i took. biggrin.gif

• Members

The veedubs are probably all over Mexico because they were still being produced there until fairly recently.

Michael: I'm guessing that shot was taken sometime around winter...? There's usually far more people there than that at that time of day. That must have been a real long lens, too, those mountains in the background are farther away than they appear in your shot.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

Michael: I'm guessing that shot was taken sometime around winter...? There's usually far more people there than that at that time of day. That must have been a real long lens, too, those mountains in the background are farther away than they appear in your shot.

Actually, it was taken on a weekday last June. I zoomed in on a relatively small part of the beach... Going back to the photos I took that day, I found this un-zoomed photo looking northward toward Malibu... You can see the little cluster of palm trees I zoomed in on:

100_1283.jpg

From the same spot, looking southwest toward the Santa Monica pier, you can see where most of the people are on the beach:

100_1282.jpg

My camera is a cheap (

kodak_z812_1.jpg

• Members

So while I'm at it, this is one of my favorite photos of all time....

I had recently moved to Berkeley, California... It was a gorgeous day in May of 1987, so I took off prowling the City with an old Canon camera (film, obviously) that my father had handed down to me. I was somewhere just off Lincoln Blvd, near the Sea Cliff area, when I spied this awesome schooner heading in from the Pacific toward the Golden Gate.

!BOATBR.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

My camera is a cheap (

Like Yoozer once said referring to synthesizers and their users, "It's the chef, not the kitchen". By analogy, I think your photos are a testimony to that.

What I like most about most of the photos posted on here so far [including yours] is how they are composed*. I can relate a theme to each one of them [they can even be musically inspiring]. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody proved scientifically that one's music composition talent is tightly linked to their visual/photographic skillssmile.gif

*Included for learning/reference purposes only [theory, rules, definitions, etc. are always beneficial], but if you just shoot without "too much thinking" [i.e, instinctively, or semi-instinctively] and get those kinds of shots, do not restrict your innate ability by going by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by synthesia

View Post

I'm looking for a new DSLR, since my old one got pawned by a junkie, any recommendations in the $300-400 range? a used Canon rebel xti looks tempting

I myself am thinking about getting my first DSLR. But I'm brokefrown.gif

When I do get rich, it will probably be this one [it came out recently and got rave reviews]. I don't know how much importance you reserve to the video mode in your digital camera, but I almost fainted when I saw this. You can shoot a pro movie with this thing.

But if I may, one important advice assuming video is important to you: get a DSLR that has a microphone input [such as the one below]. So far, I haven't heard of any digicam that provides a decent audio capture quality through its onboard mic.

Switch to HD mode to view this [720p at least, or 1080p if your CPU is really fast]

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TropicThink

View Post

And you have my permission to ignore this whole thread altogether and stop clogging it the {censored} up with your bull{censored} posts. Take your PMS elsewhere.

+1

Every else seems to be enjoying this thread.......if you are not, run along...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Plink Floyd

View Post

That Canon T1i is awsome! I wonder if my Tamron lenses will work with it...

But NO! Must...resist...need...Leslie...

lol PF.

But yes, that cam is incredible [the Rebel T2i]. What are the specs of your lenses? I can check for you online and see if you can use them on it.

I haven't done photography in a very long time but have had a sudden and renewed interest in it lately [especially videography]. I think it has something to do with the loss of my job, but who knows..

My main technical interests in photography are the 2 extremes of depth of field: macrophotography and telephotography in both photo and video modes. My cam's video mode is very limited compared to today's digicams. The Canon PowerShot S60 for example [pic at top of thread] can only record 30-second-long vids at a time. Not only that, the video is very jittery even at the cam's highest frame rate setting, and the optical zoom [only 3.6x] cannot be set once the recording starts. In picture mode, however, the performance of this cam is excellent for its age [5.0MP] and for what I use it for.

With the HD resolution/revolution and its relative affordability at the consumer level, this cam [and the other one I used to take the pics up there and the vid below] are good for the museum. When I first saw kids using HD cams on youtube [thanks mommy/daddy!] for the chit they use them for, it kinda "pissed me off" lol [hint: see my sig]: I have to get a Canon HD DSLR and/or a SONY HD camcorder [Canon is the king of photography; SONY the queen of videography] sooner or later because I have so many ideas, projects, etc (I also want to incorporate my music with video). Life is short..

Here's a silly little vid I recorded in my neighborhood. I mounted the cam on my tripod to do some timelapse photography when this happened! I now believe in the possibility of believing that we're not alone in this world!icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

Like Yoozer once said referring to synthesizers and their users, "It's the chef, not the kitchen". By analogy, I think your photos are a testimony to that.

Thanks.

For anyone who is interested in more of my travel photos, I've got a smattering of them on my site at:

http://web.mac.com/mwalthius/Site/Travel.html

I occurs to me that about the only time I pick up my camera is when I am going on vacation somewhere. smile.gif

• Members

here's some of my boring ass {censored}. apparently all i do now is take photos of my gear:

s640x480.jpg

i used to do more, back when i actually hung out with people. here's Donald Crunk:

8.jpg

and i caught a flash here, i was very proud of that:

blindinglightofkendra.jpg

here's a timed shot i did at the same piano bar:

stg_and_the_return_of_the_curse_of_senri

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Suit & Tie Guy

View Post

and i caught a flash here, i was very proud of that:

That is neat! You can see the 'cone' of light on the wall...

I can't stop thinking about how that DSLR has such good video specs. There are lots of people like me who already have good SLR lenses. If you can now mate them with what is essentially a very good HD video camera that out-performs many high priced, dedicated vid cams ( and also happens to be a very good DSLR), for $600, that's big!

But NO! Get thee behind me!

btw, if you all don't have the B&H Photo/Video catalog, you should request it. It's the size of a phone book. It's not just photo stuff; there's also around 200 pages of pro audio/music goodies. The published prices are a little high, but they have sales...

• Members

Oh, this is suddenly exciting. I have some photos I took a few years ago with a Nikon 950. I did a whole lot of "texture shots." These were shots that deliberately avoided a subject and were simply interesting small-scale patterns. I use them as desktop photos. I'll start with three:

DSCN1246.JPG

DSCN4840a.JPG

DSCN9869.JPG

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

Did someone delete my post of my photo of my son? Geez it was just a kid blowing bubbles in our back yard. Is it against the rules to post pics of our kids?

KBW also posted some nice pics, looks like they are gone too.. oh well

• Members

well, thanks for sticking around though. It wasn't my attempt to throw you in any light. Im trully sorry if i did.

I was just venting at the post web 2.0 mess. Obviously all the people that said "live like today is your last day" never stuck around long enough to see the mess they left.icon_lol.gif

Archived