OT: The Photography Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mediterranean

View Post

Share your work, knowledge, tricks, tips, etc: the weird, the unexpected, the interesting, and anything you like to share that is related to photography or videography.

Just like with music: you try different things and something interesting comes out sometimes.

In this case, I wanted to know whether the point of focus of a reflected object is the object itself or the reflective surrface it's projected on. So I focused on the object [lamp in my little room] and look what happened. It's as if the lamp is protruding out of the display of my VCR [3D effect]!

lampreflection.jpg

Not related: a few shots. Among other things, this is what my pics will look like if/when I ever sell something on eBaysmile.gif

pan.jpg

head.jpg

53758782.jpg

camfx.jpg

Wow.

facepalm.gif

• Members

View Post

I myself am thinking about getting my first DSLR. But I'm brokefrown.gif

When I do get rich, it will probably be this one [it came out recently and got rave reviews]. I don't know how much importance you reserve to the video mode in your digital camera, but I almost fainted when I saw this. You can shoot a pro movie with this thing.

Switch to HD mode to view this [720p at least, or 1080p if your CPU is really fast]

So Med:

In doing a search on that EOS 550D that is in that video, am I correct in assuming that model is the European version of the Rebel T2i that is sold in America? Damn that video is clean in HD...

And Michael:

Your pics are awesome and well framed. And it's hard to believe that they were shot with a

Carry on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midinut

View Post

So Med:

In doing a search on that EOS 550D that is in that video, am I correct in assuming that model is the European version of the Rebel T2i that is sold in America? Damn that video is clean in HD...

Yes midinut. They are exactly the same. I have no idea why they do that. I think it confuses the hell out of people [i myself thought they were 2 different models until I read and watched videos about it]. By analogy to cars, it kinda reminds me of the VW Golf that's called "Rabbit" in North America and "Caribe" in Mexico.

Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i_01.jpg

canon-eos-550d.jpg

And unlike those "reviews" on youtube where people spend 14 minutes unboxing something they just bought and 1 minute "reviewing" it, here's what I call a true in-depth review of a product such as this camera.

This guy should have his own TV channelsmile.gif

• Members

View Post

Yes midinut. They are exactly the same. I have no idea why they do that. I think it confuses the hell out of people [i myself thought they were 2 different models until I read and watched videos about it]. By analogy to cars, it kinda reminds me of the VW Golf that's called "Rabbit" in North America and "Caribe" in Mexico.

Canon_EOS_Rebel_T2i_01.jpg

canon-eos-550d.jpg

And unlike those "reviews" on youtube where people spend 14 minutes unboxing something they just bought and 1 minute "reviewing" it, here's what I call a true in-depth review of a product such as this camera.

This guy should have his own TV channelsmile.gif

If you go to Canon Japan they often list the regional variations. Search on google and there is bound to be a site that lists them. Its the local marketing departments in most cases who drive this.

Some car names may translate to ''big poo {censored}'' in another language so I guess that's how these departments first justified their existence wink.gif On numbers it's kind of silly although some numbers are unlucky in some countries.

Would you buy an EOS 13 or an EOS 666 facepalm.gif

icon_lol.gif

• Members

i'm jealous of those nice cameras. when i get back from taipei next week, i'm shooting an HD timelapse video on an T2i, should be awesome.

my photos are shot on a canon powershot a700, they sell for about $35 on eBay.

taipei.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Diametro

View Post

These photos ... still ...

''Anabolic Steroids

There are many severe health implications for those who choose to use (and abuse) anabolic steroids. For men, they can reduce your sperm count and can actually cause your testicles to shrink. They can provoke hair loss and can result in the development of breasts. Both a man and a woman

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midinut

View Post

And Michael:

Your pics are awesome and well framed. And it's hard to believe that they were shot with a

Thanks. Some of my photos were also taken using the 3 megapixel still camera built into my Sony camcorder.

A few more:

Vatican City (would love to know who is in the statue standing over the Pope)

PICT1342.jpg

Eton, England

PICT0257.jpg

Cleveland

Oct21%2402.jpg

Eze, France

PICT0123.jpg

Turin, Italy

PICT0211.jpg

New York

zPICT1616.jpg

Roquebrune-cap-Martin, France

PICT0059.jpg

Rome

PICT1218.jpg

Somewhere in England

PICT0108.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

Thanks. Some of my photos were also taken using the 3 megapixel still camera built into my Sony camcorder.

A few more:

Vatican City (would love to know who is in the statue standing over the Pope)

PICT1342.jpg

Statue of St. Paul.

Three things I like about this pic:

1. Shooting angle: you really have to look to see the sword it's holding with its right arm.

2. The 2 statues in the middle of the roof above look like a music duo: one playing a guitar

and the other dancing and singing [look closely at his posture]

icon_lol.gif

3. The Pope looks like he's really sitting therethumb.gif You can color-correct him according to his surroundings using Photoshop and lure your friends into thinking you were really that close to himbiggrin.gif

Somewhere in England

PICT0108.jpg

Is that moss growing on those roofs? Love it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

If you go to Canon Japan they often list the regional variations. Search on google and there is bound to be a site that lists them. Its the local marketing departments in most cases who drive this.

Some car names may translate to ''big poo {censored}'' in another language so I guess that's how these departments first justified their existence wink.gif On numbers it's kind of silly although some numbers are unlucky in some countries.

Would you buy an EOS 13 or an EOS 666 facepalm.gif

icon_lol.gif

Like the Chevrolet Nova which, allegedly, didn't sell well in Latin America because "NOVA" in Spanish means "won't go" or "doesn't go"icon_lol.gif

But I think you may be right about the EOS "550D". It seems any number followed by a "D" in the US refers to the boob size of a woman. Now imagine what a 550D measurement would beicon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by xpander

View Post

i'm jealous of those nice cameras. when i get back from taipei next week, i'm shooting an HD timelapse video on an T2i, should be awesome.

Omg, lucky you xpander! Please share the results when you can. And yes, the timelapse should look great. Nice pic from above. Have a safe tripthumb.gif

P.S: use bizrate.com to find the cheapest Rebel T2i possible. You will save some money.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Diametro

View Post

These photos ... still ...

If you're going to be cranky, you should learn to be amusingly cranky.

statler_waldorf.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill

View Post

I like taking and looking at photos, but it's just a hobby for me. Nothing to get too serious about, unless I was getting paid for it. idn_smilie.gif

Same here. wave.gif

• Members

I had an uncle (now deceased) who sat with pope JP2 in the pope-mobile when he was in Chicago. My uncle was a doctor, our family has a lot of devout and influential (well maybe at one time - dunno about now) catholic doctors, and they always have a doctor with the pope in the pope-mobile.

Anyway I think it is weird that people get bent about people posting photos of their kids here when millions of people do it on Facebook all of the time. Perhaps the difference is that on Facebook there is some supposed control over who can view the photos while here there is not.

I have a Canon Rebel xTI which is an okay entry-level camera. It works just fine for my purposes which are mostly family photos and Ebay with some nature photography and experimentation thrown in. I have a macro zoom lens that I bought that works nicely for portraits. The photo that I posted here was taken using that lens. I just got my wife a Panasonic Lumix LX3 for her birthday, and she is playing with it - again mostly for pictures of our kids.

I should mention that in the research lab I have done quite a bit of photography under various microscopes, mostly with a Zeiss stereoscope and a Nikon research scope and using Optronix CCD cameras. There are expensive pieces of lab gear that are really nice. If I can find anything interesting in my files I will post later. I have done some time-elapsed photography of things like "black spots" eating away at OLEDs in situ while the OLED is turned on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs

View Post

Anyway I think it is weird that people get bent about people posting photos of their kids here when millions of people do it on Facebook all of the time. Perhaps the difference is that on Facebook there is some supposed control over who can view the photos while here there is not.

I don't get it either, and I think it's not only absolutely ridiculous, but also scary [see pic of pyramid I posted earlier on this thread].

The photo that I posted here was taken using that lens. I just got my wife a Panasonic Lumix LX3 for her birthday, and she is playing with it - again mostly for pictures of our kids

I really wish I had seen it, especially knowing that your son is getting into synths thanks to you. Obviously I wasn't quick enough to check back on what pictures people were posting..

Happy birthday to your wife, Gribs. Great gift toothumb.gif

I should mention that in the research lab I have done quite a bit of photography under various microscopes, mostly with a Zeiss stereoscope and a Nikon research scope and using Optronix CCD cameras. There are expensive pieces of lab gear that are really nice. If I can find anything interesting in my files I will post later. I have done some time-elapsed photography of things like "black spots" eating away at OLEDs in situ while the OLED is turned on.

Would love to see that!

• Members

View Post

Omg, lucky you xpander! Please share the results when you can. And yes, the timelapse should look great. Nice pic from above. Have a safe tripthumb.gif

P.S: use bizrate.com to find the cheapest Rebel T2i possible. You will save some money.

cool- i will pick one up, cameras are 100% tax deductible for me. i've already shot a number of time-lapse video experiments by scripting the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) firmware on my Powershot to prepare for the T2i video. the video should be awesome, sort of a cross between a 1960s experiment in time-lapse and a 1970s horror movie. if i like the T2i, i'll buy one.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Found a way to do panning automatically. Now try this with a handheld camera, lolsmile.gif

Next challenge: how to make the motion two-dimensional. Here it's moving in a circular motion only. I need to find a way to have it move in a straight line all while spinning. Motorized track? Any ideas on how I would build one for cheap?

Music made using what you see in the vid.

Select "720p" for clearer audio & video.

• Members

Some guitar photos...

Excuse me, how can I insert images to the post? I've read the FAQ section, but they do not appear in the post...thanks!

[ATTACH]340619[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]340620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]340621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]340622[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]340623[/ATTACH]

Archived