Axe-FX clip: doing Eventide-ish effects... spacey/ambient stuff

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Just wanted to make a thread for this for the guys that love effects and spacey, ambient, atmospheric music. Some people were asking for some more Eventide-like effects on the Axe-FX and the designer tried to add a bunch of similar effects patches for the new firmware update.

Check out this clip. It's a preview of the new 5.0 firmware update and showing off some new Eclipse-ish patches.

Completely awesome...

Josh...what is the difference between the standard and ultra? I really don't dig the amp models much, but this unit is a consideration purely for an effects unit for my Mark IV. How does it do in a loop? Is it very clean and transparent to the amp's tone?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Josh...what is the difference between the standard and ultra? I really don't dig the amp models much, but this unit is a consideration purely for an effects unit for my Mark IV. How does it do in a loop? Is it very clean and transparent to the amp's tone?

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

That's exactly what you want to know. It shows what the Ultra has that the Standard doesn't.

And about the loop..... if your loop is good, you won't hear any difference whatsoever. The same is true of good pedals too, man... you'll rarely find anything this high-end that changes the tone at all in the fx loop unless your fx loop itself is not that great.

• Members

That "Axe-FX" stuff is bull{censored}. I bought that, body wash, body spray AND deodorant and I didn't have any chicks at all chasing me down the street. I tried returning the products due to false advertising but the bitch at the customer service counter just laughed at me. :confused:

• Members
That "Axe-FX" stuff is bull{censored}. I bought that, body wash, body spray AND deodorant and I didn't have any chicks at all chasing me down the street. I tried returning the products due to false advertising but the bitch at the customer service counter just laughed at me.
:confused:

lol. I like the green kind. smells pretty good. :p

• Members
That "Axe-FX" stuff is bull{censored}. I bought that, body wash, body spray AND deodorant and I didn't have any chicks at all chasing me down the street. I tried returning the products due to false advertising but the bitch at the customer service counter just laughed at me.
:confused:

Awesome mang!

• Members

I just picked up an Axe FX Ultra. I like what it does so much that I am clearing out much of my rack stuff. I have sold my pod, pod xt pro, tc electronic g-force system mix plus and I am getting ready to sell my ada mp-1. I'm really liking the axe-fx just wish I had more time to play with it.

• Members

For those of you after the Axe Fx...are you playing in bands, recording, or using it in Live situations?

How Practical and durable will they be in the long run?

It seems to be pretty bulletproof. Short of going swimming with it, seems pretty roadworthy. I just using mine for recording right now.

• Members

Maybe, but you're rather heavy handed in every thread you post in, and I'm often surprised how taken aback you are by people's responses...

That being said, nothing I've personally played feels quite like the Deluxe Memory Man. I wish I still owned a Memory Man and will buy one again.

I prefer the H&K Replex to the DMM. The DMM is for people who read the interwebs more then they play guitar.

-W

• Members

For those of you after the Axe Fx...are you playing in bands, recording, or using it in Live situations?

It seems pretty durable, but it's a computer so it's not like you can go in there and swap out a few components like an amp if it breaks.

There is only one moving part, the CPU fan. It can be run without the fan for a long time if you want. I actually swapped out the fan in mine for a much quieter fan (standard CPU 60mm fan) and now I can't hear it at all, even with my ear to it.

The creator recently gigged with the 2nd prototype, and his trailer leaked and got full of salt water. He poured out a few cups of salt water from the axe-FX, dried it out, and fired it up.

All the buttons were hosed, but the unit worked and got through the gig (midi controller still functioned to change presets).

It's always a good idea to have a backup, no matter what you use.

-W

• Members

I REALLY want to get an effects unit that can do that "shimmer" sound to run in the loop of my Mark IV. I've heard the Digitech DHP-33 can do a VERY close version to the Eventide, so I'm thinking about picking one of those up.

I have not used the Eventides, though of course I know they are the elite, with TC Electronics.

But as far as affordable guitar delays, Rocktron makes a niceone in the Voodu Valve (and other units). But I think Digitech makes the best one...possibly not QUITE as "shimmery" as what you might want, but I think it sounds more..."natural" as opposed to "studio". I think their firmware and parameters just fit very nicely in guitar applications.

• Members

I have not recorded with mine yet (we go into the studio for our next CD in a month or 2), but have been gigging with it for about 6 months now. We gig at least 6 times/month, so it's probably seen almost 50 gigs. Not a problem.

• Members

There is only one moving part, the CPU fan. It can be run without the fan for a long time if you want. I actually swapped out the fan in mine for a much quieter fan (standard CPU 60mm fan) and now I can't hear it at all, even with my ear to it. -W

Where did you get your replacement fan? That would be the only issue I have with my unit is that the fan is a bit noisy.

• Members

I have not used the Eventides, though of course I know they are the elite, with TC Electronics.

But as far as affordable guitar delays, Rocktron makes a niceone in the Voodu Valve (and other units). But I think Digitech makes the best one...possibly not QUITE as "shimmery" as what you might want, but I think it sounds more..."natural" as opposed to "studio". I think their firmware and parameters just fit very nicely in guitar applications.

When you say that Digitech makes the best one, are you referring to the DHP-33?

• Members

When you say that Digitech makes the best one, are you referring to the DHP-33?

Um...well no...not really.

I've used Boss, Korg, Vox, Behringer, Rocktron and Digitech delays (the usual "affordable" suspects) , and though the Rocktron prolly has an edge in "Studio" shimmer, the digitech delays really fit nice in guitar applications. The parameters are usally excellent. One digitech delay, in the GSP21-Pro...had a 4-tap delay....excellent, and had an easy to use faux looper.

I can't say that I have used the DHP-33, but if it conforms to the delays they have produced in the past, it will serve you well. I will go have a look at it.

• Members

Just wanted to make a thread for this for the guys that love effects and spacey, ambient, atmospheric music. Some people were asking for some more Eventide-like effects on the Axe-FX and the designer tried to add a bunch of similar effects patches for the new firmware update.

Check out this clip. It's a preview of the new 5.0 firmware update and showing off some new Eclipse-ish patches.

Completely awesome...

Wow...very nice stuff....I'm going to give this a listen again when I get home on my good headphones.

• Members

if you don't want the amp models just get an eventide eclipse imo.

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/Harmonizers/Eclipse.aspx then click the media tab, there used to be a bunch more don't know why they got rid of them....

• Members

I think some of the AXe fx models are very good .

but while those sounds are kinda quirky .I honestly cannot think of one use for them unless you are doing commercial for Asia Garden Buffet or your name is VAI.

Kinda like having an elephant for a pet cool and impressive at first but then what do you do with it .

• Members
I think some of the AXe fx models are very good .

but while those sounds are kinda quirky .I honestly cannot think of one use for them unless you are doing commercial for Asia Garden Buffet or your name is VAI.

Kinda like having an elephant for a pet cool and impressive at first but then what do you do with it .

The levels of creativity are definitely NOT equal among everyone. I'd rather have more and not need it, than need more and not have it. :idea:

This is an Eventide H8000FW, but a similar algorhythm is available in the Axe-FX:

[YOUTUBE]IeroDKOR2BI[/YOUTUBE]

Archived