Axe-FX clip: doing Eventide-ish effects... spacey/ambient stuff

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Wow - really nice sounding clips! I wasn't familiar with that unit before. I'm very into ambient guitar and that Axe-FX sounds amazing. A friend of mine has an Eventide Eclipse and I've run my guitar through it and it did remind me of some of the sounds you were getting there. Thanks for posting.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you going to be using the AxeFX for its amp modeling as well, Josh?

I'm pretty sure I am. I wasn't too interested in it at first, but I've heard so many recordings of it in so many styles (from death metal, to jazz, to clean, ambient effects-heavy stuff) that have completely blown me away... I'm pretty confident I'm going to be very happy with it. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of yet is how much I'd like using powered monitors with it. I normally wouldn't even consider it, but so many people are raving about how good the QSC HPR122i's sound with it, and if I liked them a lot it'd make things so much easier.... could use them to play in stereo, easily transport them in my car, play other instruments through them (bass, synth, digital piano, etc.), use them as monitors when recording/mixing, using them as a high-end stereo for listening to music at home, in the car, and for parties.... I'd put them to good use. haha.

BUT I'm not sure how I'll like them. If I don't like them, I'm going to use the axe-fx as a preamp into a VHT 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 poweramp into 2 guitar cabs. I really want to play in stereo, because I love how the effects sound for more spacey stuff... so I want either 2 of those monitors or two cabs....

• Members

I'm pretty sure I am. I wasn't too interested in it at first, but I've heard so many recordings of it in so many styles (from death metal, to jazz, to clean, ambient effects-heavy stuff) that have completely blown me away... I'm pretty confident I'm going to be very happy with it. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of yet is how much I'd like using powered monitors with it. I normally wouldn't even consider it, but so many people are raving about how good the QSC HPR122i's sound with it, and if I liked them a lot it'd make things so much easier.... could use them to play in stereo, easily transport them in my car, play other instruments through them (bass, synth, digital piano, etc.), use them as monitors when recording/mixing, using them as a high-end stereo for listening to music at home, in the car, and for parties.... I'd put them to good use. haha.

BUT I'm not sure how I'll like them. If I don't like them, I'm going to use the axe-fx as a preamp into a VHT 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 poweramp into 2 guitar cabs. I really want to play in stereo, because I love how the effects sound for more spacey stuff... so I want either 2 of those monitors or two cabs....

Yeah. Almost everything I had read until this thread was all about the amp modeling. In theory, the powered speakers shouldn't be that different, but in practice things are always flung all over the place. Powered speaker cabs would simplify a lot.

• Members

Yeah. Almost everything I had read until this thread was all about the amp modeling. In theory, the powered speakers shouldn't be that different, but in practice things are always flung all over the place. Powered speaker cabs would simplify a lot.

Yeah, theoretically, they SHOULD sound really good because they are full range and have a flat response.... which means they should sound just like a direct recording (and I've heard many direct recordings that were awesome)... but it'd still feel really weird playing with out a 4x12. I dunno... it's definitely worth a try.

• Members

Jus played a final gig last week with my Gsp. The group loved it and so did the crowd. Sounded sweet! Stereo bliss! Can't wait to try afx

I went dirct to sound board, and used a powered wedge. Nothing heavy to carry and no stage clutter. May be a new way. I dunno. The majority of the people there said they liked it more than raw amps. maybe cuz no micing problem or walking in front of the amp blocking its sound during a show.

never thought about that one. That's one someone told us a few weeks ago. People near the stage or dancing say the guitars and instruments sound fades out. Then we figured must be us moving around the stage and block the direct amps or drums or something. The PA at this place is high and facing way out.

• Members

Yeah, theoretically, they SHOULD sound really good because they are full range and have a flat response.... which means they should sound just like a direct recording (and I've heard many direct recordings that were awesome)... but it'd still feel really weird playing with out a 4x12. I dunno... it's definitely worth a try.

My only piece of advice is be patient if/when you do try the monitors.

I have said many times that I really didn't care for them when I tried tweaking the patches I used with my Power amp and cabs. ALmost decided to return them.

Once I started from scratch and really got my head around the fact that EVERYTHING in the signal chain may need to be tweaked (including things like how hard I am driving the cab, power amp sag, etc), I started getting where I want to be.

As you know, I am a big fan of the powered monitor setup now. Couldn't imagine using anything else. But it was a huge, scary leap for me.

I learn something new every time I tweak.

Oh yeah..I have also learned I don't like to be directly in front of the monitors at close range (such as when I am tweaking)...I prefer to be at least 5 feet away or on the side)...not that the sound it bad when close, it is jnust better from a slight distance.

With all that said...I was happy as a clam with my Power amp/cab setup as well. If I hadn't discovered the powered monitor thing, I would still be happy with the unit. Just like this better.

• Members
My only piece of advice is be patient if/when you do try the monitors.

I have said many times that I really didn't care for them when I tried tweaking the patches I used with my Power amp and cabs. ALmost decided to return them.

Once I started from scratch and really got my head around the fact that EVERYTHING in the signal chain may need to be tweaked (including things like how hard I am driving the cab, power amp sag, etc), I started getting where I want to be.

As you know, I am a big fan of the powered monitor setup now. Couldn't imagine using anything else. But it was a huge, scary leap for me.

I learn something new every time I tweak.

Oh yeah..I have also learned I don't like to be directly in front of the monitors at close range (such as when I am tweaking)...I prefer to be at least 5 feet away or on the side)...not that the sound it bad when close, it is jnust better from a slight distance.

With all that said...I was happy as a clam with my Power amp/cab setup as well. If I hadn't discovered the powered monitor thing, I would still be happy with the unit. Just like this better.

Yup, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be tough to dial in heavy sounds I like through a 4x12, but I think I'd be able to get nicer cleans through powered monitors... because while the v30 can do pretty good cleans, it definitely isn't the best, and most likely couldn't compare to the fender 4x10 and open back 2x12 models & particular speaker models and things like that...

Maybe when you get a midi interface setup for upgrading your firmware you could also post some of your patches dialed in the for the QSC's up on the axechange.net website for me to try out to have a good start point when using the QSC's?

Also, completely unrelated here... but I was realizing yet another value this thing has.... even if you used a tube preamp with it, you could use the axe-fx power amp/cab/speaker/mic models to shape the sound for direct recording..... meaning it can easily replace something like the Palmer DI units that some people use for direct recording..... just another one of the many things it can replace.... :)

• Members

I have a completley different set of patches between what I use live (through a poweramp and 4x12 cab) and what I use for recording (direct).

You can globally turn off poweramp and cab simulators, but you're best off just building a patch from scratch for whatever scenario you need it for.

-W

Archived