Axe-FX clip: doing Eventide-ish effects... spacey/ambient stuff

JoshuaLogan

• Members

if you don't want the amp models just get an eventide eclipse imo.

then click the media tab, there used to be a bunch more don't know why they got rid of them....

I was considering it, but after a few more hours of research today, I think I might just grab a Verbzilla (to use the Octo setting...it's a "shimmer" effect) and Nova Delay. I'm only after the Edge sound and $2000 is more than my amp cost! I can get a verbzilla and Nova for like $300 together. I think they will do a really good impersonation of the Edge sound together.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Doesn't the Edge just use 1 or 2 DMM into AC30s?

no:

[YOUTUBE]a107MOXhuCk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]U_2Q7DYujEI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0EIorYx-Pjo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Q5ax1t-ZpBg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well no, I know he uses significant amounts of other equipment, but I was pretty sure I saw several videos where the core of his original recorded tone and early stuff before building a monster rig was just DMM -> AC30.

Maybe I'm thinking of Brian May.

• Members

Can the G-force do sounds like that?

I've never really tried with mine. Weird.

Really? I didn't think people would even bother with the big time rack effects unless they were really using them... if I just wanted a few simple delays/reverb/chorus and that's it I would just use a few pedals....

• Members

Really? I didn't think people would even bother with the big time rack effects unless they were really using them... if I just wanted a few simple delays/reverb/chorus and that's it I would just use a few pedals....

I've never took like a full day to just sit and tweek with it, I'm too busy with work and social life too really mess with it. I should really do that soon.

And that's weird you mention getting pedals, I've been wanting to sell my G-force and just buy a few pedals because I felt I didn't use a G-force like it should be used.

• Members

I've never took like a full day to just sit and tweek with it, I'm too busy with work and social life too really mess with it. I should really do that soon.

And that's weird you mention getting pedals, I've been wanting to sell my G-force and just buy a few pedals because I felt I didn't use a G-force like it should be used.

ah, word. See, I LOVE this stuff. technical progressive metal is what I'm into the most, but other than that my favorite kind of music is really effects-heavy prog rock. spacey, ambient, atmospheric kinda stuff..... I love it. I don't know why. I just do. I think it's a whole separate art from being able to play guitar (and I'm really into shred... technical stuff)... It's just something about being able to create those dense soundscapes that trail off and really give a psychedelic feel to it and with well structured songs can really give a certain feel and mood to the music.

I don't know. I guess I'm an effects nerd or something :o

:p

• Members

There is a lot of talk about the Axe's ability to do way out there stuff, and it can, but the unit can also do just normal stuff like add a dab of delay..or a hint of reverb, and it does it WORLD CLASS !!

There are Axe owners who have had the digital leaders in delays and reverbs, like the TC 2290 or Eclipse, or H3000 Lexicon, etc. and they like the Fractal equal or better. They shelf or sell their stuff. That is what talks to me.

Just a TC2290 is probably, what ? Around 1500 bucks used ?

I am not sure, but I know they are not cheap.

I don't use a lot of effects, but I hate cheesy sounding stuff, and the time I have spent with the Axe, I have not found any crappy sounding stuff. I have found a lot of stuff I wouldn't use, but stuff like delay and reverb have to sound good for me to like it, and the Axe does sound good.

• Members

There is a lot of talk about the Axe's ability to do way out there stuff, and it can, but the unit can also do just normal stuff like add a dab of delay..or a hint of reverb, and it does it WORLD CLASS !!

There are Axe owners who have had the digital leaders in delays and reverbs, like the TC 2290 or Eclipse, or H3000 Lexicon, etc. and they like the Fractal equal or better. They shelf or sell their stuff. That is what talks to me.

Just a TC2290 is probably, what ? Around 1500 bucks used ?

I am not sure, but I know they are not cheap.

I don't use a lot of effects, but I hate cheesy sounding stuff, and the time I have spent with the Axe, I have not found any crappy sounding stuff. I have found a lot of stuff I wouldn't use, but stuff like delay and reverb have to sound good for me to like it, and the Axe does sound good.

Truth.

• Members

Is there any unit that adds effects post power amp?

The axe-FX is compltely routeable, so you can add effects post poweramp, or even post cab/mic.

Actually, I find that for presets I use for direct recording, I'm usually putting time based FX after the cab/mic.

You can also have multiple instances of the same effect. So, say you want a phaser in front of the amp input and another in the loop, you can do that just fine.

-W

• Members

The axe-FX is compltely routeable, so you can add effects post poweramp, or even post cab/mic.

Actually, I find that for presets I use for direct recording, I'm usually putting time based FX after the cab/mic.

You can also have multiple instances of the same effect. So, say you want a phaser in front of the amp input and another in the loop, you can do that just fine.

-W

I think he means after an actual poweramp and before actual cabs.... and I don't think anything like that exists

• Members

I have seen diagrams of rigs that used a device such as a Palmer speaker emulator or similar to soak the PT and then you add fx and go to a Clean power amp ...ala EVH

that is FX between the power amp and cab,

You can also mic your cab in an iso booth go to a mixer to add time based effects then to a clean amp in to a flat cab.

I prefer the Axe over either of these scenarios :thu:

• Members

I think he means after an actual poweramp and before actual cabs.... and I don't think anything like that exists

Correct. In line between my amp output to speaker. Too much of my sound is dependent upon some power amp tube breakup. It'd be interesting to go back to running some {censored} post-distortion again, though I'm ok how I am, but I realize that speaker level signal is not ripe for working with.

• Members
I have seen diagrams of rigs that used a device such as a Palmer speaker emulator or similar to soak the PT and then you add fx and go to a Clean power amp ...ala EVH

You can also mic your cab in an iso booth go to a mixer to add time based effects then to a clean amp in to a flat cab.

I prefer the Axe over either of these scenarios
:thu:

Yeah... too complicated. I was pretty sure that it's not really possible but thought maybe something was out there.

• Members

I prefer the Axe over either of these scenarios
:thu:

Hmm cool. I wouldn't have thought of those ways.

• Members

Correct. In line between my amp output to speaker. Too much of my sound is dependent upon some power amp tube breakup. It'd be interesting to go back to running some {censored} post-distortion again, though I'm ok how I am, but I realize that speaker level signal is not ripe for working with.

No you'd wreck your line level gear running a load level signal into it.

You could mic your middle "dry" cabinet, and send that signal to a mic pre, into a mixer and feed your effects that way then run your miked signal of your amp and speakers into a recording console like Landau does, or run that signal into a separate stereo power amp and run two "wet" cabs for your stereo effects.

Archived