Axe-FX clip: doing Eventide-ish effects... spacey/ambient stuff

JoshuaLogan

• Members

That sounded pretty slick. Not something I would ever want/need but the sounds are impressive.

^this coming from an fx forum guy
:)

Thanks, but the FX forum guys nowadays tend to be {censored}tards that wouldn't know how to route their signal efficiently if you drew them a picture, which I have, only to be met with hostility, and the kind of BS that would have people believing that you could take this:

PedalBoard03.jpg

and get the same results as this:

NAMM%20pics%20cropped%20020.jpg

Total denial, there in the fx forum, with VERY few exceptions.

EDIT: After re-reading my post, it seemed to me that you were referring to yourself as an fx forum guy. Initially I took it to be meaning, that I was an fx. forum guy. I didn't mean to offend you in any way, so I hope you didn't take it that way.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great clip! My GAS for this has increased yet again.

Thanks, but the FX forum guys nowadays tend to be {censored}tards that wouldn't know how to route their signal efficiently if you drew them a picture, which I have, only to be met with hostility.

Yeah, I have to agree to a degree. I think there are a lot of older analog-only cats there that are still resistant to change. They really seem to dislike multi-FXs of any sort and hate rack gear. Ironically, I bet every studio they record in has the exact same pieces of gear they despise and call "digital" as if thats some sort of bad word. They would love and worship an Axe-FX if you put it in a big pedal housing, took away the display and added a bunch of knobs. I think for many of them, its appearance over performance with a lot of the gear. If it looks vintage and hand-painted, its good. If it looks like it was made anywhere near a factory, its cheap or bad. I don't care what anyone says, I'd take an AXE-FX over a bunch of noisy stomps in a chain any day.

• Members

No you'd wreck your line level gear running a load level signal into it.

You could mic your middle "dry" cabinet, and send that signal to a mic pre, into a mixer and feed your effects that way then run your miked signal of your amp and speakers into a recording console like Landau does, or run that signal into a separate stereo power amp and run two "wet" cabs for your stereo effects.

Way too complex, the advantages for me come nowhere near worth that effort.

My real question was is there a load level effects unit, and the answer seems to be no.

• Members

Way too complex, the advantages for me come nowhere near worth that effort.

My real question was is there a load level effects unit, and the answer seems to be no.

Correct- the answer is no, not that I'm aware of, unless you count an attenuator as an effect device.

• Members

Great clip! My GAS for this has increased yet again.

Yeah, I have to agree to a degree. I think there are a lot of older analog-only cats there that are still resistant to change. They really seem to dislike multi-FXs of any sort and hate rack gear. Ironically, I bet every studio they record in has the exact same pieces of gear they despise and call "digital" as if thats some sort of bad word. They would love and worship an Axe-FX if you put it in a big pedal housing, took away the display and added a bunch of knobs. I think for many of them, its appearance over performance with a lot of the gear. If it looks vintage and hand-painted, its good. If it looks like it was made anywhere near a factory, its cheap or bad. I don't care what anyone says, I'd take an AXE-FX over a bunch of noisy stomps in a chain any day.

yup, and a lot of younger indie guys that don't know {censored}, as well as more trolls per capita.

You are correct that EVERY major studio in the world uses rack gear, and the pedal Nazi's and purist Nazi's are totally closed off to the fact that: players are individuals and have different requirements than their simple/pedal-only or purist Nazi requirements/preferences.

• Members
yup, and a lot of younger indie guys that don't know {censored}, as well as more trolls per capita.

But they're cool and indie! :eek: You're just mad because you're a CONFORMIST! :mad:

Everyone knows that you have to listen to the same kind of music as the indie kids, and only use ehx effects or else you're a conformist. Duh :rolleyes:

• Members
But they're cool and indie!
:eek:
You're just mad because you're a CONFORMIST!
:mad:

Everyone knows that you have to listen to the same kind of music as the indie kids, and only use ehx effects or else you're a conformist. Duh
:rolleyes:

Isn't that hilarious... They all use the same off the shelf pedals and I am the conformist. :rolleyes::lol:

{censored} them.... I say, let them have their ignorance.

• Members

Isn't that hilarious... They all use the same off the shelf pedals and I am the conformist.
:rolleyes::lol:

{censored} them.... I say, let them have their ignorance.

Good try but you failed to get the south park reference :cop:

But yeah they don't know {censored}. I brought my small clone to a jam and they were worshiping it. I mention that I also have an RMC 3 and how I was planning on replacing the small clone with an analogman or SCF and they went :confused::freak::mad: The kicker was when I said I was going to get a Nova delay, or maybe a Timefactor if I could afford it. Of course they go "No way, what you should get is a M-E-M-O-R-Y M-A-N. Its ALL a-n-a-l-o-g so its not like those crappy pedals you see everyone with"

But I should note none of those people were actually indie kiddies. Most of them listened to jam bands and a few were prog fans. EHX just has some magical charm to young guitar players that don't know any better. Not that EHX or memory man's are bad. But lets get real, analogman is higher up on the chorus pedal food chain the a straight outta GC small clone

• Members
Good try but you failed to get the south park reference
:cop:

But yeah they don't know {censored}. I brought my small clone to a jam and they were worshiping it. I mention that I also have an RMC 3 and how I was planning on replacing the small clone with an analogman or SCF and they went
:confused::freak::mad:
The kicker was when I said I was going to get a Nova delay, or maybe a Timefactor if I could afford it. Of course they go "No way, what you should get is a M-E-M-O-R-Y M-A-N. Its ALL a-n-a-l-o-g so its not like those crappy pedals you see everyone with"

hehehe ya southpark reference went right over my head. :lol:

They are operating like 90+% of the guys that I hear speaking rhetorical bull{censored} in guitar center, using the buzzwords like they have a clue as to what they really mean. (True Bypass, Analog, Buffered loops, hi impedance, lo-impedance) It's understandable when it's kid, that is honestly trying to learn something, but when they do it- :rolleyes: it's like they are trying to pass themselves off as some sort of expert authority, and it cracks me up.

• Members

As true as that is, you should probably chill with the rack pics, zach. you post them in almost every thread I see you post in. It's getting kinda annoying now even to me...

ok... :thu:;) The next time I see, or have a request for info re: a scenario requiring explanation as to cutting cables to length vs wrapping them, securing walwarts, routing cables, pedal trays, fastening and making tidy audio signal cables, midi cables, Rack switching systems, line mixers, amp switchers etc... I'll PM you, or forward them to you, so you can post pics as an example.

• Members

Most pedal users just want simplicity. They can turn a knob and get something different from their Rig as is. Problem with rack efects are coloring issues since pedal guys run them into the instrument input or don't even have an amp with an effect loop.

I'm not real keen on menus, but after the GSP, I'm used to it. I want the AFX since it just has better processing and handling of complex sounds. No other device does unless I buy an eventide :cool:

My mates AFX through the PA is unbe{censored}inglievable

• Members

Most pedal users just want simplicity. They can turn a knob and get something different from their Rig as is. Problem with rack efects are coloring issues since pedal guys run them into the instrument input or don't even have an amp with an effect loop.

I'm not real keen on menus, but after the GSP, I'm used to it. I want the AFX since it just has better processing and handling of complex sounds. No other device does unless I buy an eventide
:cool:

I agree that that is true, though I would also acknowledge that a lot of the guys that protest, have no idea what they really want, hence they're constantly changing their pedals, amps etc...

A lot of the arguments are: racks are whack, 80's etc... (bogus red herring) arguments, made by guys who claim they're looking for the best Delay, Reverb, Ring Modulator, Fuzz, Overdrive, Distortion, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Noise Suppressor, Wah, tone etc... and those who have 10+ pedals on their pedal board, c'mon looking for simplicity... I don't think it could be more complicated for them, in particular w/ their huge pedal boards and running all those pedals in series.

Of course there is a learning curve with using menus, but for those who know what they're after, it doesn't have to take that long, though like I said, I think part of their issue is that they don't really know what they're looking for in the 1st place other than a label and a brand name, with a pretty paint job- for status' sake.

• Members

Zach, do you have an AFX??

What I like about rack gear is the stereo apps. Sounds so sweet. Plus you can blend direct sounds and your amp sound micd up live for a really cool mix.

Not yet... I agree they are WAY cool though. I can't wait to get mine, for a small gigging rig.

• Members

Of course there is a learning curve with using menus, but for those who know what they're after, it doesn't have to take that long, though like I said, I think part of their issue is that they don't really know what they're looking for in the 1st place other than a label and a brand name, with a pretty paint job- for status' sake.

There is a learning curve to using a computer and it has menus and a big screen but they seemed to have gotten over that in order to find a message board and complain about racks. ;):lol:

• Members

Since I've been on this site, I've found that surprisingly ironic, too. How can you say you want "the best" and then condition it to the restraint of putting it in a pedal? I think that's the purpose of Eventide releasing their pedal line. They realize the idiocy of it all and they just decided to give the people what they think they want in an asthetic package that appeals to them - knobs to turn and no complicated screens. Dumb it down for the crowd.

There is a learning curve to using a computer and it has menus and a big screen but they seemed to have gotten over that in order to find a message board and complain about racks.
;):lol:

FANTASTIC point. The one thing I can deal with, as a 'con' point of contention is that the high end rack stuff tends to be expensive, but think about it- the H8000FW has 1600 presets in one box (not that you'd ever use all of it just in a guitar rig) but... how many pedals to do just what that box does and do it that well...(NOT likely) IMO, there isn't a pedal out that can do anything as well as the Eventide (barring OD types of tones), but I am not going to try to convert them. I will never forget the 1st time I heard what a huge difference an Eventide made. It was an H3000SE, and I had NEVER heard such an amazing sounding guitar rig and the spatial 3D tones were as eye opening as to what was possible as feeding a guy who's only ever eaten soda crackers, a 5 star meal. Perspective, I think is lacking from the point of the naysayers. That being said, I think using what is appropriate is truly the key, to getting the results.

• Members

if you're playing live (or recording, really) could just get something like this, send the signal to an FX unit (or several) and then out to the board.

actually, wait... you already have a MASS with a line-out, right?

• Members

Since I've been on this site, I've found that surprisingly ironic, too. How can you say you want "the best" and then condition it to the restraint of putting it in a pedal? I think that's the purpose of Eventide releasing their pedal line. They realize the idiocy of it all and they just decided to give the people what they think they want in an asthetic package that appeals to them - knobs to turn and no complicated screens. Dumb it down for the crowd.

i don't think that's the case w/Eventide at all. for most (IE the vast majority), there's no need for a rack. even two spaces. their pedal is essentially a "rack" processor... but in a pedal, why does that mean it's restrained? there are probably way more people around taking pedalboards everywhere than with racks, and just throwing another pedal on the board is much simpler than building a rack. nothing dumber about it.

• Members

i don't think that's the case w/Eventide at all. for most (IE the vast majority), there's no need for a rack. even two spaces. their pedal is essentially a "rack" processor... but in a pedal, why does that mean it's restrained? there are probably way more people around taking pedalboards everywhere than with racks, and just throwing another pedal on the board is much simpler than building a rack. nothing dumber about it.

I agree when it comes to having huge racks with various different rack units doing different things, but with something like the Axe-FX, it can replace literally every single pedal you'd have and make things a lot simpler. You have everythign you want in the one box and just use a midi foot controller to access it, without all the hassles that come with setting up and using a pedal board.

• Members

I agree when it comes to having huge racks with various different rack units doing different things, but with something like the Axe-FX, it can replace literally every single pedal you'd have and make things a lot simpler. You have everythign you want in the one box and just use a midi foot controller to access it, without all the hassles that come with setting up and using a pedal board.

Well, to some extent, for me, it's creativity. It may take me a real long time before I really know how to discover new sounds in a rack rig. I know how to twiddle with knobs, I'm comfortable with that. It's easy to switch individual effects, etc., to find the right kind of sound with pedals.

The rack thing-- it's unbelievable for fast switching live. It gives you unparalleled control. But I can't help but feel that it's a lot easier to use and program a rack when you know what sound you're going after, and for me, because of my comfort, it's a lot easier to find a new sound out of a board.

That's why even if I were touring, I'd likely be using a board in the least when writing. For fast switching on stage, etc, the rack is king. But for finding what I want to do with my sound, because of my comfort, for me, pedals are supreme.

But if I were approaching anywhere near the 1600 dollars the Eventide costs, plus the cost of wiring, the rack itself, power units, various other things that I'd want to throw into a rack if I'm gonna lug that sucker, etc, in pedals, then I'd begin to seriously consider whether I'm getting my money's worth.

Again though, if I could afford both, there is no way I wouldn't have both.

• Members

You basically just defined exactly what I was saying, the Eventides are "racks in a pedal", which make sense for them from a sales standpoint. Note that I said they are a rack in a pedal, not an Eclipse in a pedal or an H8000FW in a pedal because they are not. You seem to imply that Eventide has historically geared their market towards guitarists but this is actually newer territory, an expansion of their market. Most guitarists don't buy H8000FWs but STUDIO OWNERS DO.

In most of the rack vs. pedal confrontations of guitarists, Eventide comes up. They really are at the top of the food chain when it comes to certain things and now guitarists, bassists and "everyday musicians" can have affordable access to the Eventide product line. That still doesn't detract from their rack line. If somebody came into my studio and asked me "What's the best pitch shifter I can get?", I'd still point them in the direction of an H8000 rather than a POG or HOG, not because I have anything against EHX (I like them, too) but because its the truth. Eventide makes better pitch shifters.

That's why the Axe-FX Ultra is so appealing to me as a guitarist. Its basically everything I'd want in a box for the price of a pedal board full of "boo-teek" stomps but with much more capabilities.

Archived