Who needs Les Pauls . . .

worldoftone

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, what price range are pre CBS strats in (in the US)?

... tried googling but didn't find anything

The old saying goes " If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it."

I had a 1962 hardtail that I got off of my dads friend in 1994 for a mere

pittance. My wife and I had a child in 1995 and I sold it for $5,500.00 because money was tight. I regret that decision twice or more daily.

• Members

I sure love the sound of Les Pauls, but I do have to say that I've always played poorly on them. I haven't analyzed it down to the nth degree, but it has something to do with the high profile of the bridge and strings off the body...my hand never feels comfortable. I always keep one in the stable, but I'm never able to rip off leads on them because my picking hand just can't get comfortable and always feels like it's "floating" for some reason. Definitely my weakness for learning to play on too many superstrat type guitars.

• Members

I sure love the sound of Les Pauls, but I do have to say that I've always played poorly on them. I haven't analyzed it down to the nth degree, but it has something to do with the high profile of the bridge and strings off the body...my hand never feels comfortable. I always keep one in the stable, but I'm never able to rip off leads on them because my picking hand just can't get comfortable and always feels like it's "floating" for some reason.

Some LPs are worse than others on the high profile thing. It's hard to find a new one anymore without waaaayyy too much angle between the neck and the body, making the bridge sky high :mad:

• Members

I had a 1962 hardtail that I got off of my dads friend in 1994 for a mere

pittance. My wife and I had a child in 1995 and I sold it for $5,500.00 because money was tight. I regret that decision twice or more daily.

you sold your own child in 1995 for $5500? that's a big price to pay for a guitar...

• Members

Some LPs are worse than others on the high profile thing. It's hard to find a new one anymore without waaaayyy too much angle between the neck and the body, making the bridge sky high
:mad:

Hmm...that's interesting. Mine is a 99 Custom Shop Deluxe and I've kicked around selling it for a long time based on this issue. So what you're saying is perhaps an older one or different one wouldn't have had the issue. Great...sure wish I would have known that when I picked it up. Been playing a long time but that was my first Les Paul...so I just figured that was the nature of the beast. The only other one I played was the same way. I'll have to play some at my local shop and see if I can find one that isn't uncomfortable, but I have a feeling that it might be my shortcoming and not the guitar.

• Members

Hmm...that's interesting. Mine is a 99 Custom Shop Deluxe and I've kicked around selling it for a long time based on this issue. So what you're saying is perhaps an older one or different one wouldn't have had the issue. Great...sure wish I would have known that when I picked it up. Been playing a long time but that was my first Les Paul...so I just figured that was the nature of the beast. The only other one I played was the same way. I'll have to play some at my local shop and see if I can find one that isn't uncomfortable, but I have a feeling that it might be my shortcoming and not the guitar.

I'm not sure so much that older=better, but they just seem so damn inconsistent. Four out of five of the Les Pauls I pick up in stores have that issue....but it's one most people don't seem to notice. That single problem is why I'll never buy a Les Paul without playing it first.

I guess I wouldn't buy any guitar that way, but especially not LPs.

• Members

I'm not sure so much that older=better, but they just seem so damn inconsistent. Four out of five of the Les Pauls I pick up in stores have that issue....but it's one most people don't seem to notice. That single problem is why I'll never buy a Les Paul without playing it first.

I guess I wouldn't buy any guitar that way, but especially not LPs.

You speak wisdom...that Les Paul and my Carvin are the only guitars I ever bought without playing them first as both were custom ordered, but the Les Paul has always been disappointing to play for that reason. Luckily my Carvin worked out perfectly; I rarely touch my other guitars.

Tell you what...your response to this made me feel a lot better though...at least I now know of one other person that is bothered by this. I'm guessing that the only way to fix this would be to have a tech unglue (steam) the neck pocket and change the angle. That sucks, but luckily I do know of someone that is superbly good at that exact job here in my town. However, I may just sell it rather than go through with it. For someone who isn't forced to solo as often as me...it would be a good guitar.

• Members

No, having 11 strats is like having a refrigerator full of nothing but different flavors of lean quisine.

Actually its more like owning nothing but vintage porsches in your garage because you love the way they look, sound and feel, and they're only going to appreciate in value. :idea::idea::idea:

• Members

Having 11 period seems like overkill to me. I have 6 and I know that at any given point theres always at least 2 that don't get played. But hey, some people like to collect...I just don't like watching guitars go to {censored} as they inevitably do when they're not being played (where I live the changes in humidity will devastate a guitar if you're not regularly playing it/upkeeping it).

• Members

That is a stupid saying :D

I have to ask because i live about 3000 miles (and an ocean) away from your country so i wouldn't know which websites are actually good reputable shops/dealers, and which not...

And with the dollar falling like it does, the point is that more people from here could afford it.

1962 hardtail $5,500.00 '95 price

That still doesn't tell me much about current prices. :cry:

60's CBS strats here go for around 15 - 20K US (before bargaining) - and more often than not they are refinished. I have no idea what they would be in the US

• Members

That still doesn't tell me much about current prices.

Check eBay completed auctions for some starting points.

There is a lot of "wiggle room" when determining the value of any vintage instrument, amp etc. Originality and condition are most apparent.

- WOT

P.S. For the uneducated, every single one of those guitars sounds different, especially the early ones.

Last night I A/Bed my '58 against a new '57 CS Inca Blue "Daves Guitar Shop" Limited Edition Strat. While the CS guitar was decent at lower levels, with the volume cranked up, the weaknesses of that guitar started to become very apparent. Pickups didn't have anywhere near the clarity or spank that the my original did. The CS also sounded kinda thin and compressed as well, whereas the '58 was more open and dynamic. I play my stuff LOUD for the most part, and so far, my vintage guitars that I have kept (I sold many that didn't make the cut) are really kick-ass.

And yeah, if you think my guitars just sit locked up all the time, think again. All of them get used regularly on stage. Many of my friends have used them on stage as well.

• Members

Check eBay completed auctions for some starting points.

There is a lot of "wiggle room" when determining the value of any vintage instrument, amp etc. Originality and condition are most apparent.

- WOT

Sorry to say i have not signed up for ebay so that i cannot search for "completed auctions" - at least last time i tried i couldn't...

(and i would never use ebay for instrument buying anyway - i need to actually hold the thing before deciding)

Then there is the problem with shill bidding - ebay prices might actually not reflect the prices you might get in "the real world" accurately.

But thx for the suggestion :)

And obviously vintage "value" is subject to market forces, i.e. what you are willing to pay for any given instrument, but i am sure that there must be a price range into which the majority of '62-'64 Strats fall. Or CBS 60's strats for that matter.

• Members

LPs are muddy?

never heard that... i've heard dog pauls before that WERE.. but it's like any guitars.. there's crap and there's good, i s'pose..

not much use in arguin'... some like the light hammers, some like the heavy ones... all that matters is that you get the nails drove...

The ones I've used were. Well, they had too much congestion in the lower mids and a lack of upper mids / high end. Maybe that's why V30's go with Marshalls and Les Pauls.

Either way, when I plug in an SG, it's got a lot of air to it, but still has some chunk. Like a Les Paul, but more definition.

Archived