Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Members

I have never done any recording, so clips will have to follow. I have to learn the USB interface, and I have downloaded the free "Reaper" recording software. But this will take some time to study before I can make a few clips. And by that time, someone else will have a Vypyr who already knows the ins and outs of laptop recording...and will have already posted clips.

Thanks for posting again. I was waiting all day for you to get back. I am getting the 75 but may swap out the Blue Marvel for my Celestion Sidewinder but not for tonal reasons. The sidewinder is rated at 103 sensitivity and the BM is at 96.something. The extra 6 db's of sensitivity will give me gobs of clean headroom for loud sparkly cleans.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds cool. I'll probably pick up the 75 if best buy keeps them at $209, otherwise it'll be the 30 for me.

So you can't use the TS9 sim with the gain on zero and level at half to tighten the amp models? That sucks, and means their TS9 model is inaccurate.

:facepalm: It's solid state. Solid State = tighter than teh VHT.

• Members

Thanks for posting again. I was waiting all day for you to get back. I am getting the 75 but may swap out the Blue Marvel for my Celestion Sidewinder but not for tonal reasons. The sidewinder is rated at 103 sensitivity and the BM is at 96.something. The extra 6 db's of sensitivity will give me gobs of clean headroom for loud sparkly cleans.

You sure the speaker change won't mess with the amp sounds? Those amps are spec'd at the speaker in use characteristics. Sometimes a new Vintage 30 or diff speaker might make one of those amps sound worse.

• Members

:facepalm:
It's solid state. Solid State = tighter than teh VHT.

It's modelling in some way, witness the PODxt. The Vox amps aren't boosted amp tight either. :lol:

Because obviously everything solid state is tight, right(Hello, Tech 21 Trademark 300, loose gain). :facepalm:

• Members

Actually, Toshiro, to be honest, I didn't test that. I typically had the Level and Gain controls at noon for the Tube Screamer stompbox model. And this was bit too much for the high gain amp models. I am pretty sure that you could back off the gain on the Tube Screamer, and just use it as a clean boost (although there already is a "Boost" model in the stombox options) in front of the high gain amp models. In fact, I am sure this would work just fine.

I think my favorite high gain amp models are the Diezel Hebert, and the 6505. I don't like the Rectifier very much...which is not too surprising, as I don't like the sounds from a real Dual Rectifier. But I'm sure others will love the Rectifier amp model.

And the Bad Cat is just an all-around utility player. I couldn't get a bad tone out of the Bad Cat.

I already mentioned this in my original post...but the amount of sustain coming from this amp is really quite special.

All in all, I am seriously impressed with this Vypyr 75, especially considering the price point.

Thanks for the info. Gonna have to buy one of these.

Will the power soak bring it down to manageable volume, or should I really go for the 30 for a quieter amp? Seems like it would be worth it for the soak and USB connections to upgrade to the 75....

• Members

get this ...bestbuy has the 75 vypyr for $$209...unbelievable..the MF site has it for $$299

i have never shopped for anything musical at bestbuy (had no idea they had anything of interest)..guess that will need to change!

BCY

• Members

get this ...bestbuy has the 75 vypyr for $$209...unbelievable..the MF site has it for $$299

i have never shopped for anything musical at bestbuy (had no idea they had anything of interest)..guess that will need to change!

BCY

I heard a rumor that Peavey has gotten into bed with Best Buy. That means Best Buy, because of their buying power, is going to buy a TON of Peavey gear, meaning Peavey will be giving them a BIG discount. Reason it's hush hush right now is because all the CURRENT Peavey dealers are going to be PISSED because their prices will be remaining the same. We'll have to see how this goes. By the way, the VYPYR is a very good amp for the price. It's Peavey's new pride and joy. Ask anybody who works there. They believe they are going to sell a TON of these. I have a 60 watt VYPYR tube combo on order. The tube versions are the ones that are delayed a month.

• Members

I went to Peavey's site -- I didn't see a head. Link? Also, they'd be nuts if they don't make a preamp only version. Anyone hear any rumors?

True. I wonder if they are kind of testing the waters first before they spend any more on product development.

Archived