Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Members
I have played my new Vypyr 75 enough to pick a few favorites. The only amp model that Peavey seriously could have left off (or substituted with something different) is the Krankenstein. Also, the XXX is a bit redundant, given you have both the 6505 and the JSX. My top five favorites, currently, are the Diezel Hebert, the 6505, the Bad Cat, the "Brit" (AC 30 Brian May) and a tie between the Plexi and the Fender Deluxe.

For the stompboxes, the Tube Screamer and XR Wild (MXR Distortion) models are KILLER ! I also love the Phaser and BC Chorus.

I have to give Peavey a lot of props for the excellent Delay and Reverb effects. While they can't really be tweaked, the core sound of these digital fx are right on the money. The reverb is nice and lush. It even sounds good when the reverb level is relatively high. Usually, too much reverb causes your tone to get lost...but somehow the Vypyr's reverb perfectly complements the amp tones, even at high settings. The delay fx likewise is limited to just tempo, feedback and level, but sounds very analog and organic.

I really am having fun with this amp, and it's the best $ 299 I have spent on a piece of gear, probably ever. It is just perfect for the use I intended, which is to have a versatile, plug & play bedroom/practice amp.

Just a quick question about your thoughts on the VYPYR. Sounds like the higher gain sounds are good on this amp but what quality are the Cleans on this amp? Is the Fender model really a spot on Fendery clean sound or just sort of? Does it have that Fender type tone? Trying to avoid cleans that are thin sounding. Also in your opinion will the upcoming tube model offer any advantages in sound over the SS 75w model? Apparently the tube models will have an external speaker out on them.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a quick question about your thoughts on the VYPYR. Sounds like the higher gain sounds are good on this amp but what quality are the Cleans on this amp? Is the Fender model really a spot on Fendery clean sound or just sort of? Does it have that Fender type tone? Trying to avoid cleans that are thin sounding. Also in your opinion will the upcoming tube model offer any advantages in sound over the SS 75w model? Apparently the tube models will have an external speaker out on them.

The cleans are amazingly good. Especially the Fender and Plexi models. You'd have to hear 'em to believe it, seriously...

• Members
The cleans are amazingly good. Especially the Fender and Plexi models. You'd have to hear 'em to believe it, seriously...

Stop ! You alone have given me serious GAS. I'd normally wait for the honeymoon to be over but that $209 price match ain't gonna last.:rawk:

• Members

Called my GC - Sadly they are out of the 75w, but I'm definitely going to go pick up one of the 30w models. Been waiting 4 years to find something cheap but really looked like extreme bang-for-your-buck to replace this piece of {censored} practice amp that came with my first guitar.

On top of sounds I'm hearing about, I love playing with knobs. I believe this thing'll have all the knob fun I'll ever need.

• Members

i had the 30W on order from MF..got a great price on it with a coupon ($165)...but it was delayed until 9/8...so i went out to see the vypyrs at the local GC. well the 75 is bigger in size, but surprisingly weighs about the same as the 30W ( i was looking for a very portable amp for small gigs I play and walk to the venue from parking lot -often 6 or more NYC blocks!)..so the argument that the 30W would be more portable was losing traction! Also, they said no prob..you can have the 75W for the best buy proce of 209.99 + tax... so i couldn't resist.

Def need the pedal to use this live, but no one seems to have the pedal...so

the deal continues

good luck

Byron123

• Members
Do you guys notice a background "hum" or noise for the first 20-30 seconds of operation on your 75w? I thought I had it too near some power cables, but moving it didn't make the hum go away. Then I thought it was because I was sitting too close to it (sitting right infront to play with the different modes), but nothing I did affected it, until it just stopped after about 30 seconds and didn't come back turning off & on until I'd let it sit for 20 mins (maybe it cooled down), then it did the same.

Dunno why a non-tube would have a "warmup" time like that, curious if others have a similar experience.

Wow, yes I did, exactly as you described. I didn't post about it because I just figured something around it was causing it. After a short time, I plugged my guitar in, and about that time it went away. It sounded like a 60hz or so hum.

Btw, as I posted in the other thread, the amp (75) sounds great to me; I'm no player yet but I'm really having fun with it. It's extremely loud for my bedroom, I can't turn it over 1 without causing marital discord and screaming kids :)

I also mention this in the other thread, here goes again: I'm noticing a weird "stepping down" of volume when I sustain a note or chord while using the tube screamer stompbox. I turn it off and I get a much longer, smooth volume fade. Unless that is how tube screamers normally behave? I've never used one so...

Fyi, my GC matched, although they seemed a bit shocked by the bestbuy price :)

• Members

Also for you 75w'ers (and maybe 100w too):

Does the Power Sponge knob do ANYTHING for you? I've tried playing at various volume levels, from barely-on below 1, to "wtf 0 to Deaf in 0.01 seconds" loud and the power sponge doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on the overall volume level. I was counting on the PS to be able to practice at night, maybe I'm not using it right?

• Members

Also for you 75w'ers (and maybe 100w too):

Does the Power Sponge knob do ANYTHING for you? I've tried playing at various volume levels, from barely-on below 1, to "wtf 0 to Deaf in 0.01 seconds" loud and the power sponge doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on the overall volume level. I was counting on the PS to be able to practice at night, maybe I'm not using it right?

You won't notice it much on distorted sounds but put it on a Fender model then crank the amp. Back the power sponge down all the way and you'll hear your clean break up.

• Members
You won't notice it much on distorted sounds but put it on a Fender model then crank the amp. Back the power sponge down all the way and you'll hear your clean break up.

Thanks! I'll have to give it a shot.

I'm still overwhelmed by all the modes/models/effects, I hadn't thought about it working that way. :thu:

• Members

I just posted that I think the BB $209 deal is over. The vypyrs are not showing up on the BB site and they removed it from my wishlist.

Congrats to all that were able to take advantage of the deal.

Ya bastids. :mad:

• Members
I just posted that I think the BB $209 deal is over. The vypyrs are not showing up on the BB site and they removed it from my wishlist.

Congrats to all that were able to take advantage of the deal.

Ya bastids.
:mad:

Was just going to print it off & bamm-o - not even listed.

Iceholes!

:mad:

• Members

Just got back from GC - I knew they were out of 75w's, but I had to get the floor model of the 30w. These things are definitely selling.

This thing is definitely heavy, if you want portability the 30w isn't for you, can't comment on the 15w, I didn't see it there. Loud. My guitar isn't in playing condition right now (sadface), but I put my MP3 player in the Aux in and about 1 and 1/2 master volume is the point where it turns into the neighbor house hearing me with my windows open upstairs and me in the basement.

No doubt the 30w is more then loud enough for any practice amp application if you're curious about volume. Sadly I can't comment on anything other then the aux in and volume, I'll try and make one of my friends play through it later today. My 30w has the Blue Marvel speaker, 8 ohms.

• Members

Deuterium,

How do the models, and feel, compare to your GSP1101?

I know this is sort of apples and oranges since the Vypyr has an amp attached. But I wonder what your take on it is since you own both.

Thanks!

Aortizjr:

I have to say I would put the Peavey Vypyr 75 ahead of my GSP1101, in terms of the feel, dynamics and tone of the distortions and amp models. I use my GSP1101 strictly for the post-amp digital effects, and have it connected in the FX loop of my Marshall Vintage Modern.

I am truly impressed with Peavey's implementation of their latest generation, all analog "TransTube" technology. IMHO, it sounds better then any other modeling combo amp in it's price category, and in current production...which includes Line 6 Spider series, Vox Valvetronix Chrome and Black series, Roland Cube series, and Marshall MG series. In fact, I would go so far as to say the only other modeler that can hold its own versus the Vypyr would be the original Vox Valvetronix "Blue" combo and heads. The original Vox Valvetronix AD60 "blue" combo was like 3 times the cost of the Vypyr 75, however, and is no longer in production...so I am not sure how fair a comparison that would be.

The only potential downfall or drawback of the Vypyr series, I can think of at the moment, is the cheap construction and components, and questionable road worthiness and longevity.

• Members

hi everyone:

i need an answer: deutorium: does your valvetronix sounds better than the peavey?

and: does the tube versions sound a lot better?

thanks

It is not quite a fair, apples to apples comparison, given the difference in price between the Vypyr 75 and what I paid for my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTH. They also have different roles within my gear arsenal. The Valvetronix remains one of my primary lead amps. I bought the Vypyr for the singular purpose of using it as a relatively portable practice/bedroom amp.

Nevertheless, if was forced to choose...I would place my AD120VTH above the Vypyr. There are some things the Vypyr does better (such as very high gain), but the AD120VTH is such a great all-around amp, and my favorite of all the modelers I have ever owned or played.

• Members

still want to know how much lag there is when switching channels???

I don't have the Sanpera 1 or 2 footswitches, so it is a bit difficult to tell how quick the patch changes occur. I have to stop playing in order to manually switch to another bank or channel. However, it sounds pretty instantaneous to my ears. I forgot to check about the the delay spill-overs. I will check that tomorrow evening and post back. I would be surprised if it didn't support delay/reverb spillover, given that they are using a relatively powerful SHARC processor for the digital effects.

• Members

It is not quite a fair, apples to apples comparison, given the difference in price between the Vypyr 75 and what I paid for my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTH. They also have different roles within my gear arsenal. The Valvetronix remains one of my primary lead amps. I bought the Vypyr for the singular purpose of using it as a relatively portable practice/bedroom amp.

Nevertheless, if was forced to choose...I would place my AD120VTH above the Vypyr. There are some things the Vypyr does better (such as very high gain), but the AD120VTH is such a great all-around amp, and my favorite of all the modelers I have ever owned or played.

but, i'm comparing it to the new valvetronix (black and crome)

and does the tube version sound better? if you ever have tested one

• Members

but, i'm comparing it to the new valvetronix (black and crome)

and does the tube version sound better? if you ever have tested one

I didn't care for the Chrome AD Vox's although they don't sound bad at all. Lots of people use 'em and love 'em. I think the Peavey is better for what it is. As far as the tube version of the VYPYR's they are still a month away.

Archived