Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I gave bestbuy a call, but their system just has it as "coming soon" (like the website). I asked what this usually meant in terms of time, he said typically stuff will just change to being available :facepalm: In other words, they have no idea when they are getting these.

I also noticed you can't really pre-order from their site, only add to wishlist, so I consider it very possible their prices will change to match everyone else's. GC had never even heard of these, their sales guy was like "hey, you are right, a new Peavey amp is coming" after he looked at GC's web site :rolleyes:

I may just roll with the 15, I doubt I'll miss the stompboxes much with all those amps (clean/dirty for each). No looper, but I don't think I'd use that anyway. Question though: typically how much difference do you get with 8" speaker vs 12"? (I'm a longtime keyboard player, new guitarist, so pardon the amp ignorance ;))

• Members

A pretty substantial difference in its ability to handle low end, but not as pronounced as moving from a genuinely tiny speaker (4") to an 8". And 8" speaker can physically handle the reproduction of bass frequencies, while the 4" couldn't possibly do it. A 12" speaker moves more air and will have an easier time with lower frequencies in general.

However, these are all probably going to pack Peavey in-house speakers, which are pretty much universally {censored}, and one of the first things I'd do if I were to get a combo would be to swap the speaker. That might not be so easy to do with an 8" speaker, because I don't know of many companies that make an 8" for guitar?

• Members

A pretty substantial difference in its ability to handle low end, but not as pronounced as moving from a genuinely tiny speaker (4") to an 8". And 8" speaker can physically handle the reproduction of bass frequencies, while the 4" couldn't possibly do it. A 12" speaker moves more air and will have an easier time with lower frequencies in general.

However, these are all probably going to pack Peavey in-house speakers, which are pretty much universally {censored}, and one of the first things I'd do if I were to get a combo would be to swap the speaker. That might not be so easy to do with an 8" speaker, because I don't know of many companies that make an 8" for guitar?

Weber is suppose to make a decent one....

But still, for me 12" only...

• Members

the blue marvel is peavey's made by eminence i think but i agree with agreed they are {censored} i had one in a classic 30 and blew it at first rehersal

• Members

Why doesn't Peavey put better speakers in it's gear? I mean, I know I would have paid extra to have real speakers in my 6505 combo. I had to buy new ones anyway so...I just don't get it. Speakers MAKE the product. Somebody send them a memo...

cuz these speakers are cheaper. modeling or full range speakers are different from traditional voicings so be careful what you try to use. I seen guys with Cel Century speakers or Vin 30's in spider combo and it sounds worse than the L6 speaker did.

Ever buy a really good loaded cab for $199 new? me either. hell, I can't find a good one for less than $500 new

• Members

Every Peavey in-house speaker I've ever heard sounded just fine replaced with a V30. Hell, the Sheffield 1230 is supposed to sound like a V30. Although, honestly, I don't mind the Sheffield so bad, it's dark but has a good sound to it with the right amp...

I'll be running the head into my usual V30/Vet30 X-pattern oversized cab, seems to make everything plugged into it sound good.

• Members
cuz these speakers are cheaper. modeling or full range speakers are different from traditional voicings so be careful what you try to use. I seen guys with Cel Century speakers or Vin 30's in spider combo and it sounds worse than the L6 speaker did.

Ever buy a really good loaded cab for $199 new? me either. hell, I can't find a good one for less than $500 new

I bought my 2x12 mesa boogie cab for 160 local pickup.:lol::cool:
Best deal ever!
This amp does seem promising though....

Archived