Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

uuuugh. i assumed the "WYSIWYG" interface WAS the USB interface.

"WYSIWYG" is What you see is what you get. The knobs on the amp all have lights all around them. When you change a patch the light will go to where the knobs on that patch are set so you always know what the treble, bass, mid, gain, etc. are set to. As to the midi in, the one on the Transformer had more than the 5 standard pin but worked with just a regular midi anyhoo. Might be the same here but I dunno.

• Members

Guys, I can't begin to tell you how cool this little amp is. I have had more time to fool around with it, and I keep finding really cool tones. It is so easy to experiment with, do to the fact that the major effects have just a few paramaters to tweak. At least for me, this is one of the first "plug & play" modeling amps that really delivers the goods.

I am really impressed by the fact that each amp model has both a Clean version and a Dirty version. For this amp, that is really the secret in getting a huge range of usable gain sounds from the same model. There is no problem in dialing in a medium crunch sound. Basically, the lowest gain setting on the "Dirt" channel leads off from where the highest gain setting on the Clean channel stops (which makes sense). The Tube Screamer and XR Wild stompboxes sound fantastic in front of an amp model that is set for just breaking up. Or, to send a high gain amp model off the charts.

Another observation is the quality of the distortion sounds. I never had a Peavey "TransTube" amp, so I can't compare this Vypyr to the earlier Transtube generations. But I can say that Peavey hit a home run with the Vypyr series...especially in terms of the "Bang for the Buck" metric. There is none of the digital artifacts and weird note decay that many of the digital modelers have. The Vypyrs all analog distortions sound warm and creamy. On most of the digital modelers I have owned or tried, the tube-like "illusion" breaks down on the high E string, high fret position. They always end up sounding very thin towards the higher frequencies of the guitars range. This is definitely NOT the case with the Vypyr. I was just doing a bit of wood shredding, and was bending on the 21st fret, high E. The note just sustained and sustained, and then gradually decayed into harmonic feedback. The sound is very organic, and very unlike the response from a digital modeler.

I hope those of you who are going to be getting a Vypyr, get 'em soon. I will be interested in hearing your feedback and impressions.

• Members

Guys, I can't begin to tell you how cool this little amp is. I have had more time to fool around with it, and I keep finding really cool tones. It is so easy to experiment with, do to the fact that the major effects have just a few paramaters to tweak. At least for me, this is one of the first "plug & play" modeling amps that really delivers the goods.

I am really impressed by the fact that each amp model has both a Clean version and a Dirty version. For this amp, that is really the secret in getting a huge range of usable gain sounds from the same model. There is no problem in dialing in a medium crunch sound. Basically, the lowest gain setting on the "Dirt" channel leads off from where the highest gain setting on the Clean channel stops (which makes sense). The Tube Screamer and XR Wild stompboxes sound fantastic in front of an amp model that is set for just breaking up. Or, to send a high gain amp model off the charts.

Another observation is the quality of the distortion sounds. I never had a Peavey "TransTube" amp, so I can't compare this Vypyr to the earlier Transtube generations. But I can say that Peavey hit a home run with the Vypyr series...especially in terms of the "Bang for the Buck" metric. There is none of the digital artifacts and weird note decay that many of the digital modelers have. The Vypyrs all analog distortions sound warm and creamy. On most of the digital modelers I have owned or tried, the tube-like "illusion" breaks down on the high E string, high fret position. They always end up sounding very thin towards the higher frequencies of the guitars range. This is definitely NOT the case with the Vypyr. I was just doing a bit of wood shredding, and was bending on the 21st fret, high E. The note just sustained and sustained, and then gradually decayed into harmonic feedback. The sound is very organic, and very unlike the response from a digital modeler.

I hope those of you who are going to be getting a Vypyr, get 'em soon. I will be interested in hearing your feedback and impressions.

Thanks for the updates! I got a store to match Best Buy's price on the 75 watter to $209 so I guess I'm gonna get that one instead of the 60 watt tube I had on order. As long as it makes a decent bedroom practice amp I'm happy. I was wondering though, did you see the other thread about the guy who got his and it died right away? (uh-oh)

• Members
Thanks for the updates! I got a store to match Best Buy's price on the 75 watter to $209 so I guess I'm gonna get that one instead of the 60 watt tube I had on order. As long as it makes a decent bedroom practice amp I'm happy. I was wondering though, did you see the other thread about the guy who got his and it died right away? (uh-oh)

One of the Peavey designers was asked about the difference between the SS and Tube models as far as tone is concerned. He said that the SS models will sound better for low volume playing and the tube models for high volume. Not sure how accurate this is, but based on his suggestions, the SS would suit my needs better. No need to spend more $$ if I don't have to.

:thu:

• Members
One of the Peavey designers was asked about the difference between the SS and Tube models as far as tone is concerned. He said that the SS models will sound better for low volume playing and the tube models for high volume. Not sure how accurate this is, but based on his suggestions, the SS would suit my needs better. No need to spend more $$ if I don't have to.

:thu:

IMHO if you get the 120 watt tube version you're prolly not gonna get much advantage from the power tube distortion unless you dime it. The Transtube power amps are quite realistic and the SS models should sound good even at high volumes.

• Members

Hi folks,

Fed X just dropped off my Peavey Vypyr 75 that I ordered from Sweetwater.

I should start off by mentioning I was not happy with the packaging. It came in a single cardboard box, with friggin' pieces of bent cardboard used on each of the eight corners as bumpers. No molded styrofoam...no peanuts...I expect there will be MAJOR problems with shipping damage if this is in fact the way Peavey is packing these for shipment.

Now, it is possible that someone from Sweetwater had pulled out my amp to check out out. I was told I was the first order, and my unit was first to arrive and ship out. Perhaps they lost the original packing material. I kind of doubt that, however, because I have ordered other gear from Sweetwater, and everything has always been double-boxed...with extra attention given to protecting the equipment for shipment.

LUCKILY, the amp made it through in one piece, and everything works. Miraculously, there was no damage. There also was no instruction manual, however. WTF ?? No big deal, it is online at Peavey...but still, this did not give me the warm and fuzzies, nor did it make for a good first impression.

Okay, so enough said about that.

The amp is extremely simple and intuitive, and I had it hooked up and started playing within a couple of minutes. It is an open back combo, of course...and feels pretty solid. The actual amp chassis takes up a relatively small section of the total volume of the amp. The stock speaker on the 75 is a 12" Peavey Blue Marvel. I will post pics later tonight. My wife has our digital camera in her car, and she is out and about.

It has a very clean looking front panel. However, the rotary dials used for the controls feel rather cheap and fragile. I connected one of my Fender YJM Strats and powered it up.

The first preset that comes up when you power on is based on Peavey's 6505 model...and it is very impressive. I set the "Power Sponge" setting at 50%, and had the master volume quite low. I was getting a ton of sustain, and very natural tube-like feedback despite the low volume. The model is very warm and thick, with excellent response to picking attack and playing dynamics. I really can't comment on how close the 6505 model sounds to the real deal...but I also don't really care. What I was looking for was a plug & play practice/bedroom amp that could be played at a wide range of volume levels (including very low) and have an authentic tube tone, interaction and dynamics. IMHO, Peavey delivers on this score.

Another feature that impressed me, upon further playing, is how the analog stompbox models interacted and complemented the amp models. Placing a Tube Screamer in front of a very high gain amp (e.g. the Diezel or 6505) resulted in way too much distortion, producing a muddy tone. The distortion stompboxes work best in front of the average to low gain amp models, or switching the high gain amp models to their Clean setting. The fact that each amp model has a "Clean" and "Dirty" setting is another nice feature, and provides a lot of flexibility in dialing in a wide range of tones.

The Bad Cat, Classic and Plexi models are ideal for getting that medium, just-breaking-up, "crunch" tone, that seems so difficult to achieve with the other digital amp modelers currently on the market. I only spent a little time, so far, on the clean amp models...but I can attest to the fact that the Fender Deluxe model is very sweet. Adding a bit of post-amp chorus to this model yields a wonderfully lush, glassy tone.

I think that people will be quite happy with the amount of massive, high gain tones that can be dialed in with this amp. I personally prefer a more classic, '80s lead style tone...but this amp can definitely deliver on any of the modern, over-the-top distortions, if desired.

So far I am quite impressed with the Vypyr. Is it going to replace my beloved Marshall Vintage Modern? Of course not. But for $299 this sucker delivers just what I was looking for. I wanted a nice, small practice amp that I could keep in my bedroom...to be used for working out the guitar parts on the transcriptions I make (Guitar Pro 5). I had previously been using a Roland Cube 30 for this purpose.

Some of the features of the new Peavey VYPYR series, that I liked, which made me decide to upgrade from my Roland Cube 30 are:

1) All the distortions/amp modeling is done in the fully analog realm, using their latest TransTube technology. They use a high powered SHARC processor, dedicated exclusively to the digital FX (e.g. reverbs, delays, etc.).

2) The ability to have both Reverb AND Delay operating at the same time. This was one of the pet peeves I have with regards to the Roland Cube, baby Vox Valvetronix units, and the Line 6 spiders. You could choose reverb or delay, but not both. Guess they just don't have the processing power to handle both at the same time.

3) USB out. Unit acts as a USB sound card, allowing direct recording via my Laptop and recording software. Of course, I am going to have to learn how to use Reaper. I have never done any recording, before.

4) A bunch of stombox/distortion models, which are separate from and prior to the amp models.

Well, that is about it for now. I just wanted to post a short article giving my very first impressions.

Thanks for the review. I'm a little leery of some of the comments you made about boosting the high gain models and that you don't like rectifiers. I get great tones out of boosted high gain amps myself........as do many other recording artists........but who knows you may be correct that this amp doesn't do that correctly. I know the line 6 stomp box models of OD/Distortion units are not among my favorites. I'll have to check one out in the future....

• Members

Thanks for the review. I'm a little leery of some of the comments you made about boosting the high gain models and that you don't like rectifiers. I get great tones out of boosted high gain amps myself........as do many other recording artists........but who knows you may be correct that this amp doesn't do that correctly. I know the line 6 stomp box models of OD/Distortion units are not among my favorites. I'll have to check one out in the future....

Hi Shred-o-holic:

Check out my later post(s). I did some more experimenting with the Tube Screamer and XR Wild stompbox pedals, in front of the high gain amp models. I previously had the OD pedals level and drive settings at noon...and that was a bit too high for the really high gain amp models (6505, Diezel, XXX, Krank). However, when I lowered the drive setting on the "pedal" and kept the "level" around noon, this made a big difference, and changed what had previously been a much too mudddy tone into a more articulate, yet still extremely crazy over-the-top gain monster.

With that said, I think you will find that you probably will not need or use the stompbox OD/distortion pedals in front of the high gainers...as they sound fantastic, and have more then enough gain, all by themselves.

Cheers,

Deuterium

• Members

That's what a lot of the owners of those amps say about other owners who prefer to boost: "WTF, why are you using an OD in front of your recto, it has plenty of gain on its own?"

The answer is that it gives a different sound than just having the amp's own gain cranked, one which users describe as "tighter." But purists have every right to use what they want, too, not trying to start a fight here, just remarking that I'm glad that you can boost if you want to.

I am so going to buy a Vypyr.

• Members

I just got home with my 75 and I've played it about an hour. You really have to take some time to experiment with the eq's, effect, and stompbox choices. I have gotten some KILLER clean and high gain tones out of it already. I like the thing. For $200 I don't regret buying it at all. Hope everyone else is happy with it.

• Members
Deuterium, how's the bass response?

A lot of 112 combos seem to struggle to produce good low end.

:cool:

Jds22,

Bass response is just fine, IMHO. Especially on some of the high gain amp models. I think the Vypyr 75 has more then enough power for my intended use, and I am impressed with the low end frequency response despite playing at low to moderate volume levels. I will defer to Esupremecy as to his impressions of the Bass response at higher volume levels. I haven't had the opportunity to really open her up, yet. My wife has some errands to run this coming Saturday, so that is when I will have the chance to really crank it.

Again, please keep in mind that all of my very positive comments must be considered in light of the quality versus price quotient. Quite simply, this amp is delivering tones that exceed my expectations for $ 300 combo. That is also why I don't get hung up too much over the stock Peavey Blue Marvel 12" speaker. As I mentioned previously, it is nothing special...but it gets the job done just fine, IMHO.

Cheers,
Deuterium

• Members

I opened her up for a second, the bass response is good, it increases with the volume just as it should. NO DISTORTION through the speaker @ high volume, it'll max out and sound perfect, and it gets LOUD. I think the speaker sounds great for a budget modeling amp. This thing absolutely SMOKES the Spider III in effect(s) quality. The tones really are truely amazing for a budget practice amp. If you are GASn for a practice amp, I highly suggest you print the Best Buy ad I left in a link in my thread and go get one @ GC for $209. It's really worth it. Peavey is really gonna sell a bunch of these things.

• Members

I opened her up for a second, the bass response is good, it increases with the volume just as it should. NO DISTORTION through the speaker @ high volume, it'll max out and sound perfect, and it gets LOUD. I think the speaker sounds great for a budget modeling amp. This thing absolutely SMOKES the Spider III in effect(s) quality. The tones really are truely amazing for a budget practice amp. If you are GASn for a practice amp, I highly suggest you print the Best Buy ad I left in a link in my thread and go get one @ GC for $209. It's really worth it. Peavey is really gonna sell a bunch of these things.

Even though the speaker sounds good I think I will still try my Celestion Sidewinder in it. I am going to gig with it and the Sidewinder is so much more efficient (6 db more) that I am sure I'll get oodles more clean headroom.

• Members

Even though the speaker sounds good I think I will still try my Celestion Sidewinder in it. I am going to gig with it and the Sidewinder is so much more efficient (6 db more) that I am sure I'll get oodles more clean headroom.

So did you get yours?? Did they pricematch for you?

• Members

So did you get yours?? Did they pricematch for you?

I posted in the other thread but basically they didn't have it so I payed in advance and yes, $209 plus 9 bucks shipping. I have to wait till it arrives in the next 2 days or so. What OHMs is the speaker?

• Members

I posted in the other thread but basically they didn't have it so I payed in advance and yes, $209 plus 9 bucks shipping. I have to wait till it arrives in the next 2 days or so. What OHMs is the speaker?

Oh, ok, that's cool. Glad you got it @ that price, sorry they didn't have it in stock yet. Speaker is 8 OHMS. Looks super easy to swap out too. For a open back amp, it has suprisingly good bass response. Post back when you get yours. Don't forget to install Reaper software and get the update for it. It looks like a cool program for it.

• Members

Oh, ok, that's cool. Glad you got it @ that price, sorry they didn't have it in stock yet. Speaker is 8 OHMS. Looks super easy to swap out too. For a closed back amp, it has suprisingly good bass response. Post back when you get yours. Don't forget to install Reaper software and get the update for it. It looks like a cool program for it.

What is Reaper software?

• Members

How many ohms is the Blue Marvel in case I want to swap it out?

You don't even have it yet and you're swapping the speaker? It's a good idea to keep in mind they tuned all those amp models through the stock speaker. That's an important point that a lot of swappers ignore with modeling amps. I get the feeling there are a lot of guys on here who just can't help themselves when it comes to tweaking, and especially speaker tweaking. Get addicted to that and you're never happy for long with what you've got. I'm happy I'm too lazy. And by the way, all the Marvels I have are 16 ohms.

• Members

You don't even have it yet and you're swapping the speaker? It's a good idea to keep in mind they tuned all those amp models through the stock speaker. That's an important point that a lot of swappers ignore with modeling amps. I get the feeling there are a lot of guys on here who just can't help themselves when it comes to tweaking, and especially speaker tweaking. Get addicted to that and you're never happy for long with what you've got. I'm happy I'm too lazy. And by the way, all the Marvels I have are 16 ohms.

I think the stock speaker sounds great. Mine does NOT appear to be a Blue Marvel though. In fact, it just says Peavey VYPYR on it, and it is 8 OHMs. Says so right on the speaker.

• Members

You don't even have it yet and you're swapping the speaker? It's a good idea to keep in mind they tuned all those amp models through the stock speaker. That's an important point that a lot of swappers ignore with modeling amps. I get the feeling there are a lot of guys on here who just can't help themselves when it comes to tweaking, and especially speaker tweaking. Get addicted to that and you're never happy for long with what you've got. I'm happy I'm too lazy.

Dude, relax. I did the same on my Peavey Transformer modeling amp that came with Blue Marvels. When you use a more efficient speaker you get more clean headroom. Every 3db of increased sensitivity is like doubling the amps wattage. The Sidewinder is 6 db more efficient than the Blue Marvel.It also stresses the amp less which means the little Chinese amp may actually last longer. The Transformer greatly benefited from the change, I am sure this won't hurt the little amp at all and may actually do just what I said it will do, turn a nice practice amp into a giggable monster. If it doesn't do what I think it will do, I'll swap it back! Ta da!

Archived