Peavey VYPYR 75 just arrived -- first impressions

Deuterium

• Members
Dude, relax. I did the same on my Peavey Transformer modeling amp that came with Blue Marvels. When you use a more efficient speaker you get more clean headroom. It also stresses the amp less which means the little Chinese amp may actually last longer. The Transformer greatly benefited from the change, I am sure this won't hurt the little amp at all and may actually do just what I said it will do, turn a nice practice amp into a giggable monster. If it doesn't do what I think it will do, I'll swap it back! Ta da!

Honestly, take a listen to the stock speaker first. It really does sound very good for this amp, I do NOT believe this speaker is a Blue Marvel, but I do not know, it just says Peavey VYPYR on it and it is 8 OHMs. But, I like to mod stuff too so let me know if you do it and how it works out for you. :thu:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To suggest they tuned it to that speaker is a bit of a mistake, I think. Besides, you'd be surprised how little the fundamental frequency response characteristics of different guitar speakers vary. There's sort of a "guitar speaker" curve that most of 'em follow for the most part, with differences in nuance and in the methods of construction, doping, etc.

• Members
Honestly, take a listen to the stock speaker first. It really does sound very good for this amp, I do NOT believe this speaker is a Blue Marvel, but I do not know, it just says Peavey VYPYR on it and it is 8 OHMs. But, I like to mod stuff too so let me know if you do it and how it works out for you.
:thu:

Well, as stated, it won't be about changing the sound at all just about increasing headroom. I'll prolly do a gig with it before I make that call. If I put in a Sidewinder or an EV and it doesn't sound as good as the stock speaker, no matter how efficient, I'll go stock.

• Members

To suggest they tuned it to that speaker is a bit of a mistake, I think.

Actually, I read somewhere that Peavey DID specifically tune this amp for this certain speaker. I tried to find the story to post the link but I didn't have any luck. But, overall I'm sure you're correct in your theory.

• Members

There are several Celestion-Vox modeling 10" speakers for sale at a local shop, I'd love to make a 4x10 for 'em out of blue tolex and park a VYPYR head on them :lol: But even those really aren't nearly as neutral as would be demanded of a FR/FR system.

Look at the frequency response curves on Celestion's site for all their different speakers. The shared similarity of the overall curve speaks volumes more than the minor differences here or there - the V30, the Greenback, and the cheap 70/80 all have a startlingly similar response curve. Yes, it does have an effect on the sound, but really a lot of other things that aren't measured well in a frequency response sweep come into play there, mostly in the handful of variables that go into the speaker's construction that determine its behavior under stress.

But, all that said, if it turns out a speaker replacement craps up the sound I'll be the first to put the speaker back in ;) Heck, that'd probably end up being cheaper, since Peavey's speakers are usually pretty cheap to buy from 'em and it'd be a small matter to outfit a 2x12 to sit under the head. But that calls into question the idea of the head, too - is it only going to sound right into Peavey's cab? That's certainly not the case with other modeling heads that I've used. Different cabs have the usual impact on the sound.

I mean, we can probably just use our heads here. So the VYPYR models a specific sound, based on the Peavey speaker - so what? Peavey's other amps are presumably voiced with their own cabs, but you hardly ever see a 5150 going into a 5150 cab, it's usually into a Marshall or a Mesa or a Bogner cab... I predict that the preamp models preamps, and the power amp has its say in the matter, and then whatever speaker and cab you use just has the usual effect of changing the sound accordingly. :thu:

• Members
There are several Celestion-Vox modeling 10" speakers for sale at a local shop, I'd love to make a 4x10 for 'em out of blue tolex and park a VYPYR head on them
:lol:
But even those really aren't nearly as neutral as would be demanded of a FR/FR system.

Look at the frequency response curves on Celestion's site for all their different speakers. The shared similarity of the overall curve speaks volumes more than the minor differences here or there - the V30, the Greenback, and the cheap 70/80 all have a startlingly similar response curve. Yes, it does have an effect on the sound, but really a lot of other things that aren't measured well in a frequency response sweep come into play there, mostly in the handful of variables that go into the speaker's construction that determine its behavior under stress.

But, all that said, if it turns out a speaker replacement craps up the sound I'll be the first to put the speaker back in
;)
Heck, that'd probably end up being cheaper, since Peavey's speakers are usually pretty cheap to buy from 'em and it'd be a small matter to outfit a 2x12 to sit under the head. But that calls into question the idea of the head, too - is it only going to sound right into Peavey's cab? That's certainly not the case with other modeling heads that I've used. Different cabs have the usual impact on the sound.

I mean, we can probably just use our heads here. So the VYPYR models a specific sound, based on the Peavey speaker - so what? Peavey's other amps are presumably voiced with their own cabs, but you hardly ever see a 5150 going into a 5150 cab, it's usually into a Marshall or a Mesa or a Bogner cab... I predict that the preamp models preamps, and the power amp has its say in the matter, and then whatever speaker and cab you use just has the usual effect of changing the sound accordingly.

Once again, you make very valid points. You have now made me curious about looking into the Vox and Celestion modeling speakers as an upgrade. Although I got this amp so cheap I'd hate to spend a penny more on it as I feel I got TOO good of a deal on it as it stands. :lol:
Also, I think this has a 12 inch speaker in it, not a 10, but I think you just said 10 inch in your post as an example...

• Members
Once again, you make very valid points. You have now made me curious about looking into the Vox and Celestion modeling speakers as an upgrade. Although I got this amp so cheap I'd hate to spend a penny more on it as I feel I got TOO good of a deal on it as it stands.
Also, I think this has a 12 inch speaker in it, not a 10, but I think you just said 10 inch in your post as an example...

He's talking about building a cab for the head version , if there ever is a head version. If you like the way it sounds now don't worry about a speaker swap. If you gig with it and it breaks up at loud volumes, then maybe consider a more efficient speaker. I will do at least a couple of gigs with it first. If it works out, I won't swap.

• Members
He's talking about building a cab for the head version , if there ever is a head version. If you like the way it sounds now don't worry about a speaker swap. If you gig with it and it breaks up at loud volumes, then maybe consider a more efficient speaker. I will do at least a couple of gigs with it first. If it works out, I won't swap.

I was told by a Peavey rep that there will be no head version of this amp. I assume he knew what he was talking about. I've also heard someone say that there WILL be a head version of this amp so now I don't really know what to think. :confused:

• Members
I was told by a Peavey rep that there will be no head version of this amp. I assume he knew what he was talking about. I've also heard someone say that there WILL be a head version of this amp so now I don't really know what to think.
:confused:

If this amp sells, there will be all kinds of spin-offs. If it doesn't sell, it will stop here. Peavey had a bad experience with the Transformer and the Trans Efx series of amps as they didn't sell well. They will tread more cautiously this time around.

• Members

$200 dollar amp,special design speaker,me just don't think so.classic 30 stock blue marvel,put any other speaker in that amp and it will sound better.and i think the same will hold true with the vypyr.i just don't see peavey going that far with it imo.i'll most likely buy one and throw me a evm12l in it and it will rock,provided there's enough room.

• Members

Yeah, I've had mixed signals as well. When I spoke to a Peavey rep recently, I was told there will be a tube-powered head, so that's what I'm going with until I hear something more.

I don't need a combo amp, I need a head, so here's hoping I get to go with the VYPYR instead of the Black Diamond (wait, do they even have a Black Diamond head? Oh, lord, tell me I don't have to go with a Spider Valve!... I kid, I kid. Sort of.).

• Members

If this amp sells, there will be all kinds of spin-offs. If it doesn't sell, it will stop here. Peavey had a bad experience with the Transformer and the Trans Efx series of amps as they didn't sell well. They will tread more cautiously this time around.

+1:thu:

• Members

This amp is going to sell BIG TIME. You will understand what I mean as soon as your get yours. Every kid on the planet who has started playing guitar is looking for a do-it-all-high gain amp that is capable of doing "metal" tones, and the VYPYR is a beast AND affordable when it comes to that. This is gonna be a go to amp for starters. Watch. Now @ least we won't be tortured with Spiders and Marshall MG's anymore. Thank you Peavey!!

• Members
Honestly, take a listen to the stock speaker first. It really does sound very good for this amp, I do NOT believe this speaker is a Blue Marvel, but I do not know, it just says Peavey VYPYR on it and it is 8 OHMs. But, I like to mod stuff too so let me know if you do it and how it works out for you.

That's weird about the speaker labeling. Here is a pic of mine, which shows the Blue Marvel tag/label.:

P1010006.jpg

Here is a front view of the Vypyr 75, with one of my YJM Strats next to it, for scale:

P1010001-2.jpg

• Members
That's weird about the speaker labeling. Here is a pic of mine, which shows the Blue Marvel tag/label.:

P1010006.jpg

Here is a front view of the Vypyr 75, with one of my YJM Strats next to it, for scale:

P1010001-2.jpg

Man, I wish I could post pictures. My speaker looks NOTHING like that. That is wierd. Its design is different, and it has the Peavey VYPYR logo (like what's on the box it came in on it). This is STRANGE...:confused: My magnet seems bigger (or flatter) and it's black...

• Members
And you both like the amp. There, I think we've just handily disproved the "Only sounds good with the special speaker" theory.
:D

I want one I want one I want one I want one

Yup, we have. My speaker is definately different than his. Now I'm super curious as to what mine is. I would think they would all be the same Blue Marvels but mine is some other kind. Or maybe just a redesign of the same speaker. VERY wierd...

• Members
I just brought mine home ($199) and so far, I like it a lot. It has a lot more tubey spank than I thought it would. I've been really enjoying the clean "Plexi" mode. The amp really bites back when you dig in!

I've been sayin'!! :lol:
Helluva practice amp ain't it?
Where did you get a 75 watter for $199 @?
That's $10 cheaper than what I paid! (no big deal tho, just curious).
I was under the assumption that the prices of these amps have already been set and that the 75 watter was to be $299 EVERYWHERE.

• Members
I've been sayin'!!
Helluva practice amp ain't it?

Where did you get a 75 watter for $199 @?

That's $10 cheaper than what I paid! (no big deal tho, just curious).

I was under the assumption that the prices of these amps have already been set and that the 75 watter was to be $299 EVERYWHERE.

You really need to start reading both threads. He got it at GC and he mooched another 10 bucks off the Best Buy price. :poke::)

• Members
You really need to start reading both threads. He got it at GC and he mooched another 10 bucks off the Best Buy price. :poke:
:)

Actually, I did very little mooching. The guy at GC called his manager and asked if he could take another $10 off it as a "{censored} you" to BB. :lol:

• Members
And you both like the amp. There, I think we've just handily disproved the "Only sounds good with the special speaker" theory.
:D

I want one I want one I want one I want one

Something tells me it's the same speaker with a bit of re-labeling and a slight design change to help with the marketing.

Archived