Why Don't ALL High Gain Amps Come with Built-in Noise Gates?

Chrisjd

• Members

I think it is silly that amp companies don't build gates/suppressors into their amps?

Many high-gain amps are unusable without a gate, especially live. Why would an amp company sell an amp that you couldn't use out of the box?

Woud a guitar company sell a guitar without strings? Would an automaker sell a car without a battery?

What teh FECK!?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i would not buy an amp with a built-in gate. {censored} gates. i hate them. they eliminate 75% of the feeling out of your tone.

Either A: you're using the wrong gate or B: user error on setting up the gate.

The good gate will have NO effect on your tone until the very end of your note/chord decay. Try an ISP Decimator.

• Members

I don't want any effects built in to my amp that I can't turn off.

Even when I was playing death metal I never had noise issues and wanted to use a gate. I haven't used one since I was a n00b playing through a Valvestate.

Maybe I'm just not playing the right (or wrong) amps or not using so much gain that it would be an issue. :idk:

• Members

Why would an amp company sell an amp that you couldn't use out of the box?

Woud a guitar company sell a guitar without strings? Would an automaker sell a car without a battery?

What teh FECK!?

I had a long answer typed out for how insanely stupid your post is, but it's just not worth it.

I'll just post your statement again:

Along with a :facepalm:

• Members

I had a long answer typed out for how insanely stupid your post is, but it's just not worth it.

Along with a
:facepalm:

That's cool bro, you don't play amps that would need a gate so I woudn't expect you to understand this thread.

• Members

Along with a
:facepalm:

In his defense, look at the 3 amps you own. You'd really have to NOT know what you're doing to need a noise gate with them.

• Members
Either A: you're using the wrong gate or B: user error on setting up the gate.

The good gate will have NO effect on your tone until the very end of your note/chord decay. Try an ISP Decimator.

Noise gate isn't a correct term. Signal Gate is more accurate. Its just a gate that works off of a signal strength threshold. Once a signal is so low, it shuts off any signal. Once it is open, whatever is in the signal chain goes straight through, noise included. The nioise is usually just lower than the actual notes going through as well so the noise gets "shouted out". I find them unnecessary, and many times detrimental even with high gain.

• Members

Noise gate isn't a correct term. Signal Gate is more accurate. Its just a gate that works off of a signal strength threshold. Once a signal is so low, it shuts off any signal. Once it is open, whatever is in the signal chain goes straight through, noise included. The nioise is usually just lower than the actual notes going through as well so the noise gets "shouted out". I find them unnecessary, and many times detrimental even with high gain.

Big +1 here.

I can't stand the way they kill your playing dynamics.

Try to back off your guitar volume and play softly and you get some stuttering mess.

I play a single coil guitar -> Rat and it makes a lot of noise if I don't keep on top of it. I still wouldn't consider a noisegate.

• Members

If your amp is so noisy that you need a gate then:

1) You're using too much gain and your sound is mush.

2) There's a grounding/shielding problem somewhere.

3) Your amp sucks.

4) You're using too much gain and your sound is mush..

You're full of {censored}.

Take a 5150, put the gain on 5, and try playing live with a band. There is so much noise and squeeling going on if your not rolling off the volume constantly it isn't even funny.

I know what I am doing.

• Members

Take a 5150, put the gain on 5, and try playing live with a band. There is so much noise and squeeling going on if your not rolling off the volume constantly it isn't even funny.

I know what I am doing.

solution: don't buy a 5150.

• Members

I know what I am doing.

something's wrong with your amp, then. the other guitarist in my band has a 6505 and he plugs straight in. no feedback issues.

• Members

I know what I am doing.

Are you boosting your 5150 to get that level of noise??

I've played quite a few 5150's and never had this problem. :freak:

Granted you have a LOT more experience with them, and I can't recall the settings I was using. I do remember the gain was set higher than I normally use.

• Members

I've always used/needed a gate with any of the high gain amps I've used over the years, especially at high volume levels.

You can get away with it at lower house volumes, but they all get pretty hissy when they are cranked and set for high gain imo.

Although you need to differentiate background hiss at loud volumes to instant squealing/feedback when you stop playing...both suck imo. :lol:

Archived