Why Don't ALL High Gain Amps Come with Built-in Noise Gates?

Chrisjd

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't get that argumentative often, but was ripe for it today at work. No big deal, really.
:thu:

As far as confrontational HCAF exchanges go, that was actually pretty light by this forum's standards imo.
:)

All I asked is that you be right on at least ONE of your argumentative assumptions. Hit a home run for a change, not keep hitting foul balls (actually you would have struck out, but...meh) Not too much to ask for, is it?:poke:

• Members

I would never want a gate built into my high gain amps/ Not even if it was the Prorack G knowing full well that's the only gate that's ever even come close to being a great gate. Even then, Why would I want it built in?

Some people just want to plug striaght into the amp...with nothing else to worry about? :idk:

I know...there always a tuner to worry over. How the {censored} do you work that in? I'd like wah/volume too. And a "clean boost". But...I want my noise gate built in!

• Members

I personally dont like noise gates and i play with a large amount of gain.

If the problem is inbetween songs or with noise in the breaks of the song there is a very simple solution.

Switch your amp to the clean channel. No squeel, no noise, no feedback.

At least thats always worked for me????

• Members

i would not buy an amp with a built-in gate. {censored} gates. i hate them. they eliminate 75% of the feeling out of your tone.

What?

I have a huge rig with multiple amps and even with the guitars volume knob down you will get some "air" noise if the amps are cranked.

I have an ISP inbetween my guitar and the rig, and the ProRackG in the high gain loops... no lost "feeling" and you won't even know my rig is on till I play. :thu:

• Members

I think it is silly that amp companies don't build gates/suppressors into their amps?

Many high-gain amps are unusable without a gate, especially live. Why would an amp company sell an amp that you couldn't use out of the box?

Woud a guitar company sell a guitar without strings? Would an automaker sell a car without a battery?

What teh FECK!?

because then the base retail price would have to be higher,

which doesn't look good when you're trying to sell something,

especially if not everyone feels a noise gate is a good or necessary thing

• Members

Some people just want to plug striaght into the amp...with nothing else to worry about?
:idk:

I know...there always a tuner to worry over. How the {censored} do you work that in? I'd like wah/volume too. And a "clean boost". But...I want my noise gate built in!

That's all fine and good but I know that the ONLY gate that has done what it should do is the Decimator. Period.

I wouldn't even use or want to pay for some hack gate that the company is packaging.

The powerball's gate is a great example..that things almost unusable for the people who actually need a gate.

It never works out right that way. It's too idealistic.

Same thing applies for amps that have built in effects:rolleyes:

It's never better than a stand alone unit that is using processing power for that purpose alone;)

• Members

because then the base retail price would have to be higher,

which doesn't look good when you're trying to sell something,

especially if not everyone feels a noise gate is a good or necessary thing

+1

That's pretty much it right there..Price point and then on top of that how good is this gate?

Ever notice that amp companies don't make gates?

• Members

Feedback and squealing to me would indicate just too much gain, and/or too hot of a signal into the input.

Probably the latter...Not that you can get away from that if you like a boosted tone.

Which brings us back to the point of why a gate is so important in the first place:idea:

problem>>>>>solution

Archived