Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm thinking about getting an Orange Rockerverb 50 head with a matching closed back 2x12 cab.

I looked at the specs and noticed that it uses 6v6's for its output stage. Does anyone know if those are pedal friendly?

The reason I ask is because I recently played through an amp with 5881's with one of my fuzz pedals in front and it was horrid. It sounded like a pack of angry bees.

I felt that it took pedals really well, but I never used a fuzz pedal with it. I suspect the clean channel would do a really good job with them, provided you can turn the amp up loud enough to smooth out the fuzz (all fuzz boxes sound like bees into too clean an amp IMO).

• Members
Whose band is this? That's {censored}ing awesome. I own a Sound City 120 it's {censored}ing tits.

Gear1.jpg

The band is called The Worship of Silence. They're pretty cool and have some good tunes. I'd post links, but I'm at work and can't link to the sites.

The dude's known as Clockwork Green on the Stoner Rock forums.

• Members
Just curious... why selling?

And how does the OR50 compare to the Electric or OR120?

Give me the honest review... not the "please buy my amp" review.
:)

It's seems more like an 80s amp than the Electrics which are more late 60s or early 70s. TONS of gain and way smoother.

• Members

blackhive i dig your BYOC content in sig. the triboost is awesome. hows the ESV fuzz?

got some RI mullards for the orange today. review in a sec...

The ESV is fun. It's a very high gain fuzz though. Even with the fuzz turned all the way down, there's plenty there. It's the first fuzz I've used that interferes with my own amp's gain. This sound really weird but they almost cancel each other out so that the fuzziness disappears until I turn my amp's gain all the way down. WEIRDEST thing.

It's hard to say exactly how it sounds since the characteristics of the fuzziness can be changed drastically by adjusting the bias pot inside of it. I've considered thinking up a way to make that wired to an external knob so I can adjust it on the fly, even. It also works much better with lower output pickups or the volume knob rolled down a little bit. It gets super compressed and kind of muddy with both of my guitars' volume knobs at 10. It clears up and growls a lot more with the volume between 5-8. Here's the only short clip of it I threw on Youtube

[YOUTUBE]uDx3QdSUfQg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

my fuzz factory does teh same thing. has to be used on the clean channel or have the gain turned down. nature of the beast i guess, as fuzzes are inherently square wave generators. interesting to see how square waves actually get smooother as they are clipped through tubes.

the FF is a strange beast. the BYOC one sounds great for sotner/doom stuff. like a slightly heavier BMP.

• Members

It's seems more like an 80s amp than the Electrics which are more late 60s or early 70s. TONS of gain and way smoother.

Yeah... that's more or less how I feel about many of their modern amps. The RV50 kept making me feel like I should be playing NWOBHM.

• Members

Yeah... that's more or less how I feel about many of their modern amps. The RV50 kept making me feel like I should be playing NWOBHM.

Don't get me wrong.. the OR50 is currently my favorite sounding modern Orange amp from what I've heard. It just isn't a modern 50W version of the OR120, that's all.

• Members
:o

Those GTLs are so brutal. They should really resurrect that model and continue selling it.

I haven't had a chance to try the GT1 yet. I wonder how the 'GTL' channel compares to an actual GTL?

• Members

I haven't had a chance to try the GT1 yet. I wonder how the 'GTL' channel compares to an actual GTL?

Well they say the GT1 has "an extra gain stage for modern styles" over the GTL so I'm guessing it's not EXACTLY the same.

• Members

• Members

I'm going to post this in here as well since it fits with the thread. Recently, 'pir' posted this in his own thread but I wanted it archived here too. Here's a clip from his Matamp GTL:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7627668

Heavy like whoa. I attempted the same song on my Electric and ended up with this:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7630241

• Members

Hey all.. I've recently played a Matamp for the first time.. It's a custom GTV Twin Channel. Here it is:

74daf4963c2b.jpg

I bought this amp for my friend. Had it for a couple of days and it totally blew my mind. The amp has two channels. The first one has more gain, the second one is more of a vintage vibe. I play post-metal/sludge mostly, so oversaturated distortion with tons of low end - that's my sound. The amp's boosted Maxod OD-9 to add more chug.

As you might've guessed I spent more time playing it rather setting up the stuff for making proper audio samples. So please forgive me for the quality. Also, I'm a very {censored}ty player LOL, and I've NEVER had such sustaining artificial harmonics. Usually they die on me in about 4-5 secs! This amp is wonderful and I already miss it

Some day, an another Matamp will be mine for sure.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7610255

• Members

Hey all.. I've recently played a Matamp for the first time.. It's a custom GTV Twin Channel. Here it is:

I bought this amp for my friend. Had it for a couple of days and it totally blew my mind. The amp has two channels. The first one has more gain, the second one is more of a vintage vibe. I play post-metal/sludge mostly, so oversaturated distortion with tons of low end - that's my sound. The amp's boosted Maxod OD-9 to add more chug.

As you might've guessed I spent more time playing it rather setting up the stuff for making proper audio samples. So please forgive me for the quality. Also, I'm a very {censored}ty player LOL, and I've NEVER had such sustaining artificial harmonics. Usually they die on me in about 4-5 secs! This amp is wonderful and I already miss it

Some day, an another Matamp will be mine for sure.

That's really awesome. You'll probably regret not hanging onto it somehow.. haha. GTVs are suuuuper rare and hard to find.

• Members

yeah I bet.. The economy's tight right now though..

This particular amp also has a downgraded 50 Watt output transformer (140W stock), but it's still ridiculously loud!

One thing I didn't figure it is how you are supposed to use delay pedals with it? There's no FX loop.

Also, what other Matamps are in the high-gain territory? LX?

• Members

yeah I bet.. The economy's tight right now though..

This particular amp also has a downgraded 50 Watt output transformer (140W stock), but it's still ridiculously loud!

One thing I didn't figure it is how you are supposed to use delay pedals with it? There's no FX loop.

Also, what other Matamps are in the high-gain territory? LX?

I don't think any of them could be considered truly "high gain" like a 5150 but the higher gain ones are the Roadster, GTL (and GTO if you can work with a non master volume amp), LX, GTV, the RED/GREEN (only two in existence, JoshuaTSP is currently selling his btw) and tons of one-off custom jobs.

Archived