Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Members

. Certainly don't blow your head off like the EMI's. IF I had to choose though, I prefer the Eminence.The manowars are just vicious in every register. Tonkers are pretty balanced, SwampThangs are very thick, somewhat scooped and the highs are pretty smooth.

Is Celestions Darker sounding than ????? . . . than Emi's ????

Which Celestions are you referring too ?

If i want to build/buy a 1x12 over-size closed back encloser (big enough for the head to sit on), for my Bassman AB165, and want a spearker for max low end thump, is there any unit that comes to mind ?

Thanx

:thu:

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha I just have to post this here as well because it's making me chuckle. I thought I'd get a quick tryout of the Boss FZ-2 that showed up today. Because the camera shook so badly during my last clip and this one was at an even higher volume, I actually taped the camera down this time. Nope... no luck. Still looks like I'm playing during an earthquake. Doh.

yG5JB9aiAIc

I still have to figure out how to dial in this FZ-2. That was with the gain all the way down and it's still suuuuuper high gain. Sludgiest, nastiest pedal I've ever owned for sure.

• Members

I still have to figure out how to dial in this FZ-2. That was with the gain all the way down and it's still suuuuuper high gain. Sludgiest, nastiest pedal I've ever owned for sure.

I was about to post this in the Doom thread but I'll post it here, sounds AWESOME man, I really dig it. I need to get my hands on a FZ 2 soon :evil:

• Members
no vintage here
:(
late model Orange TV50. still sounds GREAT though

The Thunderverb series intrigues me, though. I have yet to hear a really good clip from them. I should search Youtube again now that they've been out a while....

• Members

just found an older picture

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/BlackHolesAndRevelations/gear/random/misc/GEDC0152.jpg

i love these
old 8x10 cabs
. still got both the amp and cab, but neither work now
:facepalm:

anyone tried the matamp GT retro?

Looks like a simmilar cab (+ head) that i nearly bought 3 months ago :idea:

IMG_1642.jpg

Would love to hear this cab with 8 Emi Copperheads in it :evil:

• Members

I was about to post this in the Doom thread but I'll post it here, sounds AWESOME man, I really dig it. I need to get my hands on a FZ 2 soon
:evil:

Better make it quick, they are starting to go for stupid-collector-vintage prices now !

I found one in a very small guitar store in the city of Port Canaveral for $50.00

I saw it among the handfull of used (Boss only) pedals. The very friendly guy that helped me did not even know they had a used one for sale.

The FZ-2 and an EHX Knock Out after that sounds HUGE :rawk:

• Members
I'm not too concerned, I'd only get one if the price was right seeing as they pretty much have
sound to them
:thu:

I've got enough fuzzes at the moment now and can't justify another.
:lol:

Nah they have three modes which all sound very very different. There are two different types of fuzz and then a clean boost mode that gives up to 26db of boost. Pretty neat.

Dude's kind of a dork but here:
[YOUTUBE]NpnAUGU_PoA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I did say "pretty much"...
:lol:

When I see/hear FZ 2 I only think EW

True but that's Mode 2 and Mode 1 sounds vastly different. I know what you mean, though. Why do you think I bought one? haha. Just FYI, I saw a handful on craigslist for $50 last week. You can search craigslist nationwide with crazedlist.

• Members
True but that's Mode 2 and Mode 1 sounds vastly different. I know what you mean, though. Why do you think I bought one? haha. Just FYI, I saw a handful on craigslist for $50 last week. You can search craigslist nationwide with crazedlist.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check around.

Right now I need to retube my JMP and get a few things modded. THe stupid impedance selector keeps falling off so I need a new one install. :facepalm:

• Members
The Thunderverb series intrigues me, though. I have yet to hear a really good clip from them. I should search Youtube again now that they've been out a while....

stil no decent clips on youtube, and i have yet to record one and post it. new homework assignment i guess. just tell me the toanz you want recorded. this amp is really good. i was kinda dissapointed to open it up and see spaghetti wiring on a PCB, but everyhting is top notch and very well done. ceramic sockets, gold jacks etc. the output tranny is what makes it a thunderverb, allowing it to handle bass freqs (and WELL, i might add) this plus the built in attenuator make it THE BEST RECORDING AMP i have dealt with. and it seems to know what tones i am trying to achieve and just goes there by itself. even attenuated down to near silence, it sounds huge on recordings. i havent messed with the 200W version. im sure it sounds quite a bit different.
lets just say this orange wooden box of circuitry causes relationship issues with me and my gf. its that serious. pics time:
1208081947.jpg
0924082225.jpg
downsized_0914081530.jpg
orangeandsg.jpg
rigandme.jpg

• Members

how does the fz 5 compare?

they only thing that makes them alike is the colour and the name. Otherwise they're completely different.

FZ-2 is an octave down fuzz thing. Huge bass, crazy scoop. Its literally electric wizard in a box.

The fz-5 tries to emulate a maestro, a fuzz face, and octavia. Sounds nothing like the fz-2. Nor does it have any tone controls like the fz-2.

Archived