Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

New clip from the Electric... same song as before but with the Deep knob on the 4th click position (for more bass), the Fuzz slightly up (for more gain), and the EQ tweaked a bit... levels I changed on the original reduced slightly more toward 0 so it sounds more like the original flat recording before editing: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7673586

• Members

New clip from the Electric... same song as before but with the Deep knob on the 4th click position (for more bass), the Fuzz slightly up (for more gain), and the EQ tweaked a bit... levels I changed on the original reduced slightly more toward 0 so it sounds more like the original flat recording before editing:

If there was ever an example of what I consider to be a nearly perfect doom tone that pretty much nailed it. It's got that loose, flabby fuzz gain tone nailed to a "T".

There's nothing like hitting palm mutes where you can feel the gain oozing out the speakers in big, heavy chunks of flab. It's like the tone's so thick that you could literally pick it up smoke it.

• Members

New clip from the Electric... same song as before but with the Deep knob on the 4th click position (for more bass), the Fuzz slightly up (for more gain), and the EQ tweaked a bit... levels I changed on the original reduced slightly more toward 0 so it sounds more like the original flat recording before editing:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7673586

GREAT TONE

. . . this must sound sooo good in real life, right infront of the cab :evil:

• Members

So I have a question here. I play faster kinda metal stuff but I {censored}ing love the Matamp tone, so my idea is to use a booster/od pedal and hit the front end with that. Anyone think i can do metal with that? If so, any clips around with one of these beasts with an od pedal?

• Members

So I have a question here. I play faster kinda metal stuff but I {censored}ing love the Matamp tone, so my idea is to use a booster/od pedal and hit the front end with that. Anyone think i can do metal with that? If so, any clips around with one of these beasts with an od pedal?

You have a few choices. Matamp made a few models that will work for more modern tones. I think JoshuaTSP's Matamp RED is already gone but that's one of them. There's also the Matamp LX and GTV. The Roadster was marketed as having enough gain to play anything from good cleans to modern metal but, as a prevous owner of one, I'll say it does have a lot of gain for a Matamp but won't do modern metal perfectly. In fact, the Electric heads will best it for available gain. The most gain I ever got out of it was the amp gain set to about 2 o'clock and then putting a boost pedal in front of it. The result was hilariously noisy since I lived in downtown Philly at the time and the area is SOAKED in RF noise but it came out like this: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6229473. It won't do Engl or VHT tones but whether it's what will work for you or not is up to what you need in tone. I personally dig the mid-gain growl of these and don't miss having super high gain at all right now.

So yes, a Matamp/Electric with or even without a boost pedal can do metal and sound suuuuuuuuper heavy. It just might not sound like other modern metal sounds you hear these days and will be its own unique thing.

• Members

You have a few choices. Matamp made a few models that will work for more modern tones. I think JoshuaTSP's Matamp RED is already gone but that's one of them. There's also the Matamp LX and GTV. The Roadster was marketed as having enough gain to play anything from good cleans to modern metal but, as a prevous owner of one, I'll say it does have a lot of gain for a Matamp but won't do modern metal perfectly. In fact, the Electric heads will best it for available gain. The most gain I ever got out of it was the amp gain set to about 2 o'clock and then putting a boost pedal in front of it. The result was
hilariously
noisy since I lived in downtown Philly at the time and the area is SOAKED in RF noise but it came out like this:
. It won't do Engl or VHT tones but whether it's what will work for you or not is up to what you need in tone. I personally dig the mid-gain growl of these and don't miss having super high gain at all right now.

So yes, a Matamp/Electric with or even without a boost pedal can do metal and sound suuuuuuuuper heavy. It just might not sound like other modern metal sounds you hear these days and will be its own unique thing.

AWesome, listening now. I don't need ultra amounts of gain, but I do need tighter gain than these produce stock. Still I love the mid growl as you do, so I want that but just tighter, if it is able to be done.

[edit] after listening, that was less than I was hopeing for, but useful none the less. It lacks that depth that I hear in the unboosted tone.

• Members

after listening, that was less than I was hopeing for, but useful none the less. It lacks that depth that I hear in the unboosted tone.

And that's why it's only one of two clips I have with the boost pedal. I prefer these amps natural and on their own. One thing to grasp is that the 'old' high wattage Matamp heads that sound so ridiculous put out a LOT of low-end. They aren't necessarily "loose" amps but their low end extends so deeply for a ~100W guitar amp that the bass portion becomes a bit flubby. At least that's my take on it. The part that makes them sound thick and heavy and aggressive also makes them not sound as tight as a more heavily dampened, focused modern amp. The other thing that makes them sound so heavy is the raunchy gain that sounds like it's resonating at its own frequency outside of the frequency of the notes it's outputting. It's fuzzy and growly and mean. But modern "tight" metal amps sound sterile and boring by comparison.

I've had a bunch of high gain amps and a bunch of low/mid gain amps and modern high gain is just boring to me now. I'd rather write stuff that works with an amp like my Electric than something that requires my Engl E530 for tigher, faster playing because the Electric's output is so much better sounding.

• Members

after listening, that was less than I was hopeing for, but useful none the less. It lacks that depth that I hear in the unboosted tone.

I'm going to drop some 6L6s in mine as an experiment, but I won't be able to report back for a few days as I have an out of town gig tomorrow. Other than that, I think thrashing an Electric (or similar) is an uphill battle (trust me... I tried). The power section just isn't designed to produce the tight, hard hitting bottom end of a modern amp.

• Members

BlackHive, that sounded awesome!

Redeye5, check my soundclick sample on the previous page. I tried to do some metal chug with the Matamp. You can get it if you boost it right. And I'm sure that after proper tweaking it will sit nicely in some metal mix.

• Members

I would guess that these peeps offer the heaviest (IMO) tone i've yet to hear from matamp + it's detuned to Drop G.....sick. Raw brOOtel tone.... If only I knew which matamp was responsible, it would already be bought?!?!?! :evil:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Oh wow I've been an Abominable Iron Sloth fan for years and never noticed he uses a Matamp head. I have no idea what model it is, unfortunately. It's one of the "White" logo Matamps but the model isn't visible here:
G73ni.jpg

It's a 7-knob amp (one missing) so it could be a few different models. That rules out it being a GT120, GTO, LX, Roadster, GT1, 1224, or any of their modern models or non master volume models. That pretty much just leaves the GTL or the idea that it's a custom job for him. I'm pretty sure a Dual Rectifier and GTL would sound just like that though.

• Members
It's a 7-knob amp (one missing) so it could be a few different models. That rules out it being a GT120, GTO, LX, Roadster, GT1, 1224, or any of their modern models or non master volume models. That pretty much just leaves the GTL or the idea that it's a custom job for him.

My GT1 has 7 knobs. :idk:

• Members

My GT1 has 7 knobs.
:idk:

Well now I have no idea.

Actually, AIS have been around for longer than the GT1 was available, I think. I also don't think Matamp has made the "White" heads in a while but I could be mistaken. In fact, it almost looks like one of the ones built for Matamp USA that kind of had the aesthetics the future Electric Amp models would have. I could be wrong, though. Without looking at the label on the back to see what model it is, it'll stay a mystery. Sounds good though.

EDIT: nevermind! I was thinking of the 70s "White" Matamps that were just the standard GT120 with a new faceplate:

io3d6b.jpg

I guess the AIS "White" amp could have been made at any time.... but doesn't Electric now own the legal rights to the White Amps name?

[YOUTUBE]UOC3k9xZO5I[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

It's a 7-knob amp (one missing) so it could be a few different models. That rules out it being a GT120, GTO, LX, Roadster, GT1, 1224, or any of their modern models or non master volume models. That pretty much just leaves the GTL or the idea that it's a custom job for him. I'm pretty sure a Dual Rectifier and GTL would sound just like that though.

It's a GTO.

The extra knob is a voice switch. All I know about it is that it directs effects out to an XLR on the back of the amp. I suspect it's some sort of DI, but I can't say for sure.

• Members

It's a GTO.

The extra knob is a voice switch. All I know about it is that it directs effects out to an XLR on the back of the amp. I suspect it's some sort of DI, but I can't say for sure.

Know what.. you're right. I was confused because I thought the power switch was the black thing on the left side and couldn't find another amp they made like that. But no that's one of those locking input jack things. Right side is power, standby, and power light... NOW I got it.

It's basically this with a White panel instead of Black: http://www.planetoftheamps.com/MS-YOBblack-gto-2002model.jpg

• Members
It's a GTO.

frigin awesome!!:thu::thu:

do we know if any pedals have been used or is this straight up 'cranked'......

Archived