Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest that sounded similar to the RED.......actually, probably the mid point between the GTL/Electric and the RED.

I was actually going to say that same thing exactly. The GTV sounds more modern than the GTL/Electric/Roadster but not as modern as the Red. The closest production amp, soundwise, to your Red is probably the LX. Here: http://www.matamp.co.uk/lx.htm. Though it has, like all modern Matamps, tons of bells and whistles.

One of the most feature-rich amps I've ever seen is the Matamp 1224 which is probably why it's the heaviest (in the literal sense) amp head I've ever seen. I think they're like 78lbs. But yeah.. you can use it with 1 or 2 power tubes in Class A mode or 2 or 4 power tubes in Class AB power mode, has a half/full power switch, pentode/triode switch... all together giving you 16 different possible tube and power settings and power output between 3 and 50W depending on what it's all set to. Foot switchable voice shift, foot switchable overdrive, foot switchable reverb, an effects loop, an Orange/Electric style "Voice" knob (like the Orange FAC knob or Electric Deep knob kinda), foot switchable mid-boost, auto biasing, and a boatload of front knob controls. Pretty cool.

• Members

i hate you guys. i {censored}ing want a matamp so bad! anyone want a 2203x?

Sell the Sunn and Marshall and call Matamp UK to have them build you one! Matamp is only like... 5 people so there's a bit of a wait time but it isn't as long as Electric's waiting list. They'll pretty much build you anything you want.

• Members

Sell the Sunn and Marshall and call Matamp UK to have them build you one! Matamp is only like... 5 people so there's a bit of a wait time but it isn't as long as Electric's waiting list. They'll pretty much build you anything you want.

One more question. What's the price range for these custom heads? I mean, what numbers should I have in mind?

• Members

One more question. What's the price range for these custom heads? I mean, what numbers should I have in mind?

I really don't know. I always just hear they "cost less than Electric Amp heads" but don't get solid numbers out of them. What I've always heard though is that they are a friendly bunch and will be happy to work with you if you call them up and have questions about that kind of thing. They even say on their website to "call for pricing" on each of their amp pages. They also make a lot of other amps and variations of what they have on their website that they don't even list.

But they do sell the S2000 reissue head along with its matching reverb tank and matching cabinet all for around $2750 so... probably around $2k? Maybe less. Matamp is really known for being happy to make you a custom boutique amp but not CHARGE you for a custom boutique amp. Their huge, high second-hand pricing mostly comes from how rare they are in the states. I've seen used ones go for much cheaper in the UK. I just recently saw a beauuuutiful GT120 (the old Orange OR120's brother and the amp Sleep used) sell for like 650 British pounds over there. That's about $900 over here.

• Members

I see.. thanks for the info, man. I'm closer to the UK here, so I might get better prices.. then again, the pound sterling exchange is terrible as well. We'll see.

We have a new Hi-watt HiGain SER100 head in one of our local shops and it sounds amazing as well. But I didn't have time to compare it to the Matamp.. Better go down their next week and check on how my feelings changed.

• Members
Good lawd! Even the little 4W Minimat can get pretty raunchy:

I stupidly sold my Minimat.......:facepalm:

It was EXTREMELY sensitive to the guitar's volume knob.
Also very touchy to speaker, guitar, and FX selections.
I actually used it at rehearsal for that modern rock cover band I used to be in. Sat in the mix perfectly. :o

• Members

Its certainly not much more than that.

Theres the LX too which I think was one of dave greens designs. I dont know if matamo still do them but dolphin music look to have a few in stock for not much (well if

• Members

I gotta say though having heard and played a few mats I still keep coming back to my superbass. Now if I could run both of them we'd be talking :lol:

The retro picture frame 4x12 is still the best cab I've ever used though.

Archived