Can my school charge me for my confiscated phone?

Beasleyboy

• Members

if there is a legit reason or complaint for having the phone or any amendment to the documentation being signed, it must be made prior to a violation. You cannot run a red light, get a ticket, then complain that you were unjustly forced into agreeing to the laws of the road by accepting your drivers license.

How is that even related to this? The police didn't confiscate your car and keep it from you, they followed the standard disciplinary procedure that they do for all other traffic violations

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well...I guess I'm in the minority. While I feel you should have had the phone taken away and been disciplined...I don't see where it is any school's right to start dishing out fines for anything.

Which is the same way I feel, especially when my parents don't pay for my {censored} and it's all coming from my pocket

• Members
withholding someones personal property that is more likely than not a staple to their lifestyle could easily be considered UNREASONABLE
:wave:

If a cell phone is a staple to your lifestyle then you need to get a life.

• Members
withholding someones personal property that is more likely than not a staple to their lifestyle could easily be considered UNREASONABLE
:wave:

how do you figure? It is an item that is found to be A nuisance and disturbance in class (as admitted by the OP). The item is removed to further protect the ability of the teacher to teach and the students to learn. That is 100% reasonable.

• Members

In principle, yeah, I don't think the school should fine you either. I think it's fair for them to confiscate it until the end of the day (that's what my high school did), but fines are bull{censored}.

But the fact still remains that the OP signed a contract. So if he doesn't agree to it, he should have obviously voiced his concerns to the school before signing a paper (and thereby legally stating that he agreed to the terms).

• Members

if there is a legit reason or complaint for having the phone or any amendment to the documentation being signed, it must be made prior to a violation. You cannot run a red light, get a ticket, then complain that you were unjustly forced into agreeing to the laws of the road by accepting your drivers license.

rules of the road (also called laws) aren't held in the same regard as stipulations in a student contract for a freaking HIGH SCHOOL

PLUS, a drivers license is a PRIVILEGE while access to socialized schooling is a RIGHT

• Members

How is that even related to this? The police didn't confiscate your car and keep it from you, they followed the standard disciplinary procedure that they do for all other traffic violations

if you cannot figure it out, you shouldnt have the right to a phone, a computer or {censored}ing anything that will continue to dumb you down any further

• Members

If it's so important, then maybe they should be able to take appropriate measures to ensure that they don't get it taken away for violating terms they already agreed to.

:idea:

This {censored} is not hard to understand.

• Members

how do you figure? It is an item that is found to be A nuisance and disturbance in class (as admitted by the OP). The item is removed to further protect the ability of the teacher to teach and the students to learn. That is 100% reasonable.

well i just explained it, but if i have to spell it out for you

THIS IS THE {censored}ING 21ST CENTURY, PEOPLE RELY ON THEIR CELLPHONES

no one keeps house lines or contact books anymore, how the hell is a high school kid supposed to get a hold of anyone (including PARENTS)?

confiscating PERSONAL property is total out of line for such a minor offense

• Members
If it's so important, then maybe they should be able to take appropriate measures to ensure that they don't get it taken away for violating terms they already agreed to.

:idea:

This {censored} is not hard to understand.

Violating terms they were forced to agree to?

• Members

If a cell phone is a staple to your lifestyle then you need to get a life.

It's time to get real and understand that, whether you like it or not...cel phones are a staple to many people's lifestyles. It's not going to change...it's only going to become more prevalent. I'm sure there was a day when people thought that electricity, land line phones, radio, color tv, stereos, cd players, computers, and countless other things were unnecessary luxuries but people evolve for better or worse.

Where I draw the line is {censored} like when my wife is trying to call my kid who is in the next room. I caught her doing that the other day and told her that, by God, we will at least get off our asses and go into the next room and talk to people face to face. Now THAT is overboard.

• Members
I got my phone taken up today by my 2nd period teacher, my first offense in the 3 years I've been at my high school. My school is making me pay $15 bucks to get my phone back (this is just the first offense, they can keep it for a long time after multiple offenses). The cell phone policy is also stated in the student handbook which I signed and agreed to at the beginning of the year. The whole idea of paying my hard earned money to the school to get
MY
property back kind of makes me
:mad:
. 5th amendment? Safety Hazard (like if I was mugged or in a car crash and didn't have my phone because of the school)? Anything? Can I talk my way out of paying this $15? Or am I just screwed and fork over the 15 bucks?

I would've KO'd someone trying to take something of mine when I was in school. Then again, I was kicked out in the 11th grade at 20 yoa. :o

Maybe things have changed a lot since I was in high school, but it seems really strange that they could fine you for something like that. If you and/or your parents signed off on such a policy, though, there's probably nothing you can do about it except possibly cause yourself a much worse headache to deal with than the $15.

• Members
well i just explained it, but if i have to spell it out for you

THIS IS THE {censored}ING 21ST CENTURY, PEOPLE RELY ON THEIR CELLPHONES

no one keeps house lines or contact books anymore, how the hell is a high school kid supposed to get a hold of anyone (including PARENTS)?

confiscating PERSONAL property is total out of line for such a minor offense

I dont own a cellphone..:lol:
call me old fashioned but i like to socialize and talk to friends face to face.

• Members

I always had a notebook in school.

Welcome to the 21st century where a majority of our information is held and transferred digitally? And why would I carry around tons of notebooks and planners when I can put it all conveniently into a pocket sized digital device?

• Members
anyone here who says that cellphones arent a staple for their lifestyle is totally full of {censored}

adapt or die, this is the {censored}ing information age

:facepalm:

Bull{censored}.

The world would be a better place without them.

• Members

Then like I mentioned in my post, if it's really such a problem, you should have gotten Mommy and Daddy to talk to the school about it before you signed it. It looks like they'd have no problem with doing something like that, seeing as how you're probably a spoiled little brat for bitching so much about something like this.
;)

Yeah, you're such a victim. Oh noez, we have to listen to our parents, go to school, then work, then die! :rolleyes:

• Members
anyone here who says that cellphones arent a staple for their lifestyle is totally full of {censored}

adapt or die, this is the {censored}ing information age

It's honestly not a staple of my lifestyle, but then again I'm a fugly sumb!tch and have no women who'd want to call me regardless of me constantly being around them. :o I actually have a cellphone with a prepaid card but have only loaned it to a friend to use on a trip once and have never made a call on it, myself. Hell, I even worked for Cingular Wireless for a few months and could only go by the scripted info to help customers over the phone. :D

Archived