Can my school charge me for my confiscated phone?

Beasleyboy

• Members
It's not like I don't want to be punished for breaking the cell-phone policy, nor do I disagree with the policy itself, I would just like disciplinary action that doesn't involve my personal property being held from me and some bull{censored} fine

see if you can write " I will not bring my phone to class" 1500 times on a black board..:lol:

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

that is seriously some of the stupidest {censored} i have ever heard in my life

in order to be penalized for ANY violation of ANY law, one must be proven guilty and convicted in a court of law

PERIOD

I cant believe I passed over any of this earlier, but how about detention. You guys are up in a {censored}ing hissy fit over detaining property, how about detaining YOU? Should they go to court for that? 5th amendment?

/thread

• Members

I cant believe I passed over any of this earlier, but how about detention. You guys are up in a {censored}ing hissy fit over detaining property, how about detaining YOU? Should they go to court for that? 5th amendment?

/thread

i was just explaining that the policy displayed in the contract cannot be law

• Members

that is seriously some of the stupidest {censored} i have ever heard in my life

in order to be penalized for ANY violation of ANY law, one must be proven guilty and convicted in a court of law

PERIOD

LOL you're dead wrong. Take a parking ticket for example. You can go to court and contest the fine if you want to or you can just pay the fine. They do not have to take you to court for that.

And before you say "parking tickets are given by law enforcement", let me remind you that a school is by law granted the legal right to enforce their policies within the property.

They do not have to take you to court to expel, suspend or detent you either.

• Members
they are not forbidding students to bring cell phones to school, just to use them DURING CLASS.

Cell phones are not necessary
in a classroom
in the 21st century. Outside the class, yeah. But during class, they're not. Keep it off and in your pocket and you won't have any problems.

Exactly. But some may feel the need to text and play games while in class -- or even using stored info in their phones to cheat. :D

I could see it differently if an instructor wants them communicating with each other on a project or something, though I'm thinking it's probably not something they'd need to do in class.

Maybe there's more going on in high school than I'm aware of, but I'm working on a BSRN degree at the moment and haven't found a need for my cell phone yet. I guess not being sync'd up to play Jeopardy or having any girls to text with is a loss, but it hasn't impacted my grades. :D

• Members

LOL you're dead wrong. Take a parking ticket for example.
You can go to court and contest the fine if you want to or you can just pay the fine
. They do not have to take you to court for that.

And before you say "parking tickets are given by law enforcement", let me remind you that a school is
by law granted the legal right to enforce
their policies within their property.

They do not have to take you to court to expel, suspend or detent you either.

when you just pay the fine youre waiving your right to appear in court

tickets are given out based on state/city/county/region LAWS too, not policies of specific organizations

• Members

/thread

Because I can choose to simply not go to the detention?

• Members
It's not like I don't want to be punished for breaking the cell-phone policy, nor do I disagree with the policy itself, I would just like disciplinary action that doesn't involve my personal property being held from me and some bull{censored} fine

One day about 15+ years ago I was brutally sick but was the only person who could drive my brother to have eye surgery. The brakes were shot on my VW bug, so my mother gave me the keys to my then-recently departed grandmother's car. I wasn't aware the tag was out for 2 months and got pulled over on the way back from dropping my brother off. The cops just said "Get out of the car. It's being towed." And I had around $0 and never saw that car again even though I pleaded my case. I then walked my hacking, sick @ss home through a $hitty part of town in freezing rain.

In other words, welcome to the real world. :(

• Members
One day about 15+ years ago I was brutally sick but was the only person who could drive my brother to have eye surgery. The brakes were shot on my VW bug, so my mother gave me the keys to my then-recently departed grandmother's car. I wasn't aware the tag was out for 2 months and got pulled over on the way back from dropping my brother off. The cops just said "Get out of the car. It's being towed." And I had around $0 and never saw that car again even though I pleaded my case.

In other words, welcome to the real world.
:(

So you violated a federal law?

• Members

when you just pay the fine youre waiving your right to appear in court

Again, you're wrong. Even if you want a court hearing, you still pay the fine when it's due. If you win in court, they will reverse the fine and give it back to you.

He could pay the $15 and take them to court to get it back. I doubt he'd win, but he does have that right. Maybe he would win, who knows, but until that happens, the contract is valid and he owes the school $15.

• Members

Why the {censored} does it matter? The school should confiscate phones just because we don't "need" them? It's not like a lot of students participate in numerous extracurricular activities and need to communicate with their parents or anything

You must be new at this, you signed the contract and agreed to their methods of punishment.

• Members
So you violated a federal law?

No. I'm not one of the ones talking about law vs. school board rules, etc... I just learned the hard way that it's better to pay attention and (if possible) avoid things that can cost me my $ and/or belongings. I forgot to mention I also received a ticket in addition to losing the car. :mad:

• Members

I was referring to :

so again, explain the legalities of detention.

people arent property

plus, they still let you go at the end of the day and dont CHARGE you money to get out:p

i can understand taking a phone away for the day and returning it to the student after school (perhaps even adding more punitive action that doesnt involve taking property from others), but keeping the private property of a student until they pay a fine just isnt right (or legal)

its completely inappropriate and unprofessional disciplinary action if you asked me

• Members

people arent property

plus, they still let you go at the end of the day and dont CHARGE you money to get out:p

i can understand taking a phone away for the day and returning it to the student after school (perhaps even adding more punitive action that doesnt involve taking property from others), but keeping the private property of a student until they pay a fine just isnt right (or legal)

its completely inappropriate and unprofessional disciplinary action if you asked me

its restitution for the loss of the teachers time teaching. He robbed the teacher and his classmate of valuable education.

Archived