Can my school charge me for my confiscated phone?

Beasleyboy

• Members

I got my phone taken up today by my 2nd period teacher, my first offense in the 3 years I've been at my high school. My school is making me pay $15 bucks to get my phone back (this is just the first offense, they can keep it for a long time after multiple offenses). The cell phone policy is also stated in the student handbook which I signed and agreed to at the beginning of the year. The whole idea of paying my hard earned money to the school to get MY property back kind of makes me :mad:. 5th amendment? Safety Hazard (like if I was mugged or in a car crash and didn't have my phone because of the school)? Anything? Can I talk my way out of paying this $15? Or am I just screwed and fork over the 15 bucks?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How about you don't be an asshole and answer your phone in class, for starters?

I had forgotten to switch my phone to silent and I didn't want it to go off in class...the teacher confiscated it while I was turning it to silent

• Members

What do you need a cell phone for in school? All your friends are at school with you and your parents are at work. Who is gonna call you?

oh like you dont wish that you had a camera phone to take upskirt pics of girls in your class... give me a break

• Members

:lol:

:confused:

:idea:

:mad:

:facepalm:

Public school = government

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

It's a stretch...a BIG stretch...but I'm just thinking of ways to not pay the $15

• Members

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or
property
, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

It's a stretch...a BIG stretch...but I'm just thinking of ways to not pay the $15

Doesn't matter. See the "due process of law" part? The page in the handbook became a legally binding document the second you signed it. :cop:

• Members

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or
property
, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

in short, you have the right to not incriminate yourself. I dont see what you are even thinking about trying for?

I mean, you broke a rule and made it apparent with incriminating evidence. What are you trying for?

• Members

What do you need a cell phone for in school? All your friends are at school with you and your parents are at work. Who is gonna call you?

Why the {censored} does it matter? The school should confiscate phones just because we don't "need" them? It's not like a lot of students participate in numerous extracurricular activities and need to communicate with their parents or anything

Archived