Can my school charge me for my confiscated phone?

Beasleyboy

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A contract you are forced to sign in order to attend the public school?

Also *Their

so, as many others have said, dont go to public school. you could be home schooled, go to a private school, or, better yet. drop out completely. you dont seem to be the smartest guy in the world so school must not be doing you much good :facepalm:

• Members

Dude, don't dodge the issue. I was making a point and I clearly stated my opinion on this specific matter in question.

Still, it's like

"why were you late for class"

"Skyler said we should go to Tim Hortons because they have a deal today" "WELL IF SKYLER SAID TO JUMP OFF A BRIDGE WOULD YOU"

response:

"{censored} YOU IT WAS TIM HORTONS NOT A BRIDGE

lol

• Members

I'm probably just going to explain my points, what I have a problem with, and suggest an alternate form of punishment for me

now THAT'S a reasonable way to deal with it and very likely to work.

One suggestion: start by recognizing you were wrong. Then explain your financial situation, why do you need your phone and ask if there is anything else they can do to help you while making sure you receive some form of punishment.

• Members
so, as many others have said, dont go to public school. you could be home schooled, go to a private school, or, better yet. drop out completely. you dont seem to be the smartest guy in the world so school must not be doing you much good
:facepalm:

• Members

One suggestion: start by recognizing you were wrong. Then explain your financial situation, why do you need your phone and ask if there is anything else they can do to help you while making sure you receive some form of punishment.

AND it establishes the realistic precedent that you can go through life making mistakes but getting special treatment.

• Members

Expulsion more like. But yeah, tackled...

But, you do know that the student contract is not legally binding right?

they took your phone, and now it's just a matter of how hard they can bully you to get it back

• Members

What this is really trying to do is to discourage people from bringing cell phones into the classroom, not to {censored} you over. If you show contrition and admit you made a mistake, then I'm sure they will probably bargain with you. They probably had to institute this law because they originally just confiscated it, and all the Neanderthals ran in and started screaming about getting their phone back, and then doing the process all over again the next day.

• Members

HOly {censored}ing {censored} there are some seriously delusional people in this thread. SOme of you geniuses need to read up on court decisions related to school law. Wow. The school has every right to do what they did. If you call the police, they're going to look at you like a moron. Have fun with that.

• Members
oh no, my worst nightmare

being the laughingstock of a bunch of minors
:facepalm:

They would be his peers lol
I was kidding though really... I don't care what lengths I would have to go to in order to get it back without spending 15 dollars, I like having money.

• Members

But, you do know that the student contract is not legally binding right?

they took your phone, and now it's just a matter of how hard they can bully you to get it back

It is legally binding dude. All of the school law precedent says so, they are free to "legislate" any rules they deem needed that are prudent to the school running smoothly. Bullying doesn't come into this whatsoever, they can't be bullies when they are right.

• Members

It is legally binding dude. All of the school law precedent says so, they are free to "legislate" any rules they deem needed that are prudent to the school running smoothly. Bullying doesn't come into this whatsoever, they can't be bullies when they are right.

orly?

so if he walks in there and takes his phone back, what is he charged with?

• Members

my point is that the rule sends the message that its not a big deal for wealthy kids to break the rule, seeing that they would hardly receive punishment that actually affected them

while less privileged students are subject to HARSHER punishment for the SAME offense (even though the monetary amount is the same)

As you said, fines are equal for everyone. Everybody is responsible for their own (and their kids) financial situation. The school is not responsible for that.

Yes, people that are broke have to be more careful about doing things they can be fined for. That's life.

• Members

orly?

Violating school policy, which would likely result in expulsion. If he refuses to leave, after being told by school staff, he can be arrested for Criminal Trespass. Anything else, counselor?

• Members

orly?

He'll be expelled, and then you have taken an innocuous situation and turned it into a big hairy deal because you are too {censored}ing stubborn to admit you broke some extremely simple rule. Then you will have to sue for reinstatement, it will go to court, and you will have been deemed in violation of the school rules and your expulsion will stand.

It's a {censored}ing 15 dollar fine when you knowingly broke the rules. Get over it.

• Members

As you said, fines are equal for everyone. Everybody is responsible for their own (and their kids) financial situation. The school is not responsible for that.

Yes, people that are broke have to be more careful about doing things they can be fined for. That's life.

The school is responsible for that, they're the ones extorting cash from the students

Archived