Can my school charge me for my confiscated phone?

Beasleyboy

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Public school = government

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or
property
, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

It's a stretch...a BIG stretch...but I'm just thinking of ways to not pay the $15

do even understand what you just quoted? that's basically your right to remain in silence, which btw you are clearly not making good use of it.

• Members

I understand punishment for breaking the rules set by the school. I get that. A detention or suspension for having your phone out? Fine. Look through my phone for having it out? Fine, whatever lets you sleep at night. But should schools be able to keep your property for however long they feel like or charge you whatever fee they want to get your property back?

"nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" is what I am referring to, meaning the phone is not apart of any kind of investigation (for example, checking my messages to see if I was setting up a drug deal) yet they still keep it from you

• Members

I think If I were a teacher and I heard some kids phone go off or saw someone even touching a phone I'd throw it into a wall and watch it shatter. Then I'd shove that students face into the shards. I'd say "sorry if I disrupted your phone call, you disrupted my class, oh it wasn't a phone call? Well sorry school is no place for cell phones."

I say you thank god that I'm not a teacher in your school and pay up the 15 bucks and just keep it in your car or your locker all day.

and we now know why I am not a teacher.

• Members

I understand punishment for breaking the rules set by the school. I get that. A detention or suspension for having your phone out? Fine. Look through my phone for having it out? Fine, whatever lets you sleep at night. But should schools be able to keep your property for however long they feel like or charge you whatever fee they want to get your property back?

"nor be deprived of life, liberty, or
property
, without due process of law" is what I am referring to, meaning the phone is not apart of any kind of investigation (for example, checking my messages to see if I was setting up a drug deal) yet they still keep it from you

Hey, dumb{censored}. Regardless of whether you think it is right in principle, they still outlined their terms in writing and you stated you understood them and agreed to them by signing the paper. So stop bitching and fork over this week's allowance. :poke:

In other words, if you were so butthurt that you actually did take this to court, they would still win! Once again, legally binding document.

• Members

property
, without due process of law"

Let me break it down for you:

Law = rules

Property = phone

Due process = Teacher saw you breaking the Law and relieved you of Property

Also, you signed a contract saying that you are aware of the rules and their consequences.

Shut up, pay the $15, and stop being a whiny bitch.

You knew the rules, you broke them. Deal with it.

If you're going to pretend to use adult things like the Constitution to get your way, you've got to act like a {censored}ing adult in the first place.

• Members

OP is a douche. You got what you deserved.

I made it through HS without a phone.... why cant you?

~Matt

Why don't you go {censored} yourself? I payed for my phone myself and I pay the monthly bill, why should the school be able to keep my phone for however long they want and charge me some bull{censored} fee to get it back? Investigate whatever you need to investigate (the cell phone policy is for our "safety", they don't want kids sending answers, setting up drug deals, etc. during class), give me legitimate disciplinary action and send me, along with my phone, on my way

• Members
I think If I were a teacher and I heard some kids phone go off or saw someone even touching a phone I'd throw it into a wall and watch it shatter. Then I'd shove that students face into the shards. I'd say "sorry if I disrupted your phone call, you disrupted my class, oh it wasn't a phone call? Well sorry school is no place for cell phones."

I say you thank god that I'm not a teacher in your school and pay up the 15 bucks and just keep it in your car or your locker all day.

and we now know why I am not a teacher.

:lol:

• Members

Hey, dumb{censored}. Regardless of whether you think it is right in principle, they still outlined their terms in writing and you stated you understood them and agreed to them by signing the paper. So stop bitching and fork over this week's allowance. :poke:

In other words, if you were so butthurt that you actually did take this to court, they would still win! Once again, legally binding document.

It's called a job dumb{censored}. And you think I would actually take this {censored} to court? No, I'm just brainstorming ways to save me $15 bucks and get my phone back

• Members

Why don't you go {censored} yourself? I payed for my phone myself and I pay the monthly bill, why should the school be able to keep my phone for however long they want and charge me some bull{censored} fee to get it back? Investigate whatever you need to investigate (the cell phone policy is for our "safety", they don't want kids sending answers, setting up drug deals, etc. during class), give me legitimate disciplinary action and send me, along with my phone, on my way

lol just another stupid kid. The school has rules - you broke them. its your problem for being a douche.

stupid douche kid.

~Matt

• Members

You learned a lesson and you'll only have to shell out $15 for it.

That's pretty cheap although you may not realize it now. Life will teach you some expensive lessons and this is not one of them.

This is true!!! Don't drink and drive!!! EVAR!!11!!111!!11

• Members

property
, without due process of law" is what I am referring to, meaning the phone is not apart of any kind of investigation (for example, checking my messages to see if I was setting up a drug deal) yet they still keep it from you

Since you read and signed a legal public school (government) document agreeing to that policy, there was a due process of law.

• Members
It's called a job dumb{censored}. And you think I would actually take this {censored} to court? No, I'm just brainstorming ways to save me $15 bucks and get my phone back

How many times do I gotta say this?

You. Signed. The. Paper.

:idea:

Maybe you should be brainstorming ways to not break contractual obligations that you legally agreed to.

• Members

:facepalm:

Boy, some kids sure are whiny these days.

You screwed up!

Take it like a man.

• Members

Pay the money. It sucks and all but what can you do.

Once you have your phone back put it away and head for the mens room.

Bust up the mirrors and break anything porcelain you can find. Toilets, sinks that kind of thing.

Now you and the school are even.

Don't get caught.

If you get questioned, don't admit to anything.

It's even better if you can do it to the teacher's facilities but about a 100 times harder.

Superglue in locks is fun too - and it's much quieter.

:thu:

• Members
Bleeding whingeing emo kids these days! Count yourself lucky, back in my day you would have been beaten with a stick and never seen the phone again. (Not that any kids had phones).
:lol:

Back "in the days" you could bring a phone to school, it was just that there'd be no where to plug it in....

Archived