I'm normally an Apple defender...

JBecker

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The latest macbooks are {censored}.

The macbook air is pretty much the worst thing apple has ever come out with.

I don't mind the imac.

Mac Pros are {censored}ing awsome... but way to much scratch.

The mighty mouse is a piece of {censored}.

Ah... all that said I love my quad G5 tower.

My wife's laptop has had bugs from day one. The day they make a pc that can run OSX (without the hack) is the day I let apple go. But for now Microsoft can suck my cock with their worthless OS.

I also love the fact that if I purchase something like a firepod recording interface that connects via firewire, all I have to do is plug it in and turn it on and it works. No {censored}ing drivers, no {censored}ing worrying about hardware compatibility (although "ahem" I guess some newer macs have been having this issue hence I said new macbooks are crap).

I am finding pro tools runs MUCH better on OSX.

• Members

That'll depend on the ASIO driver. Some cards have better drivers than others.

This is on a MOTU interface using the same versions of the drivers on both Windows and Mac using the same settings (96 samples).

I got the same results with my friend's Layla.

Even just using the built in laptop speakers, the latency is just lower.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but with the equipment I personally own...it all plays better with the Mac so far. It's also more stable.

• Members

I was just thinking, sounds like poor research on card choice, not CoreAudio versus ASIO.

My EMU card's driver hauls ass. I just tried some Presonus dealy and it couldn't keep up with it at all. There are huge differences in drivers and the company's name may not have much to do with how good the drivers work. Then there's also WDM, which works very well with some cards.

Oh and as for text rendering, it's better in Xubuntu than in Windows XP once you get your hands on the preferences and set it the way you want. Windows is ok but it's not as refined. Although I haven't spent long in Vista to know how it deals with this...I'm skipping it and staying with XP for now.

And I certainly have no problems with Pidgin. It's the best IM program I've used. And Gimp, Openoffice, Thunderbird, VLC Media Player...it makes me wonder why I bothered using other programs in Windows and felt "entrenched". If drivers for audio cards in Linux were more available/stable, it'd be a no-brainer to switch to Linux completely.

• Members

Oh and as for text rendering, it's better in Xubuntu than in Windows XP once you get your hands on the preferences and set it the way you want. Windows is ok but it's not as refined. Although I haven't spent long in Vista to know how it deals with this...I'm skipping it and staying with XP for now.

And I certainly have no problems with Pidgin. It's the best IM program I've used. And Gimp, Openoffice, Thunderbird, VLC Media Player...it makes me wonder why I bothered using other programs in Windows and feeling "entrenched". If drivers for audio cards in Linux were more available/stable, it'd be a no-brainer to switch to Linux completely.

The thing is, I use Pidgin, Thunderbird, VLC, etc all in Windows as well. That's why it almost makes 0 difference to me. Almost everything I use in Windows is the same program I use in Linux.

I really do find Linux to have the best text rendering. It makes Windows look jagged and OSX look blurry, IMO.

• Members

I have a 17" MBP (the last generation, not the new one) and it kills. I do graphic design for a living and work on it all day every day with very few issues. I'm looking into a Mac Pro right now, so we'll see.

The main thing I like about Macs is the OS. I know, I can hack a PC to run OS X, which I have done before, but it's not the same.

OS X is something that Windows has been trying to duplicate for quite some time. To me it's worth the price of admission. I'm not an Apple elitist by any stretch. I think it's funny how some PC folks think that everyone with a Mac is an "elitist".

• Members

The latest macbooks are {censored}.

The macbook air is pretty much the worst thing apple has ever come out with.

I don't mind the imac.

Mac Pros are {censored}ing awsome... but way to much scratch.

The mighty mouse is a piece of {censored}.

Ah... all that said I love my quad G5 tower.

My wife's laptop has had bugs from day one. The day they make a pc that can run OSX (without the hack) is the day I let apple go. But for now Microsoft can suck my cock with their worthless OS.

I also love the fact that if I purchase something like a firepod recording interface that connects via firewire, all I have to do is plug it in and turn it on and it works. No {censored}ing drivers, no {censored}ing worrying about hardware compatibility (although "ahem" I guess some newer macs have been having this issue hence I said new macbooks are crap).

I am finding pro tools runs MUCH better on OSX.

I installed the Vanilla Kernel on my PC with no problems. I only had to add an audio patch (no different than a driver for Windows).

:idk:

• Members

500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 320GB

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner

Wireless-N LAN card

$648.99, no education discount that I'm sure I could find if I look.

Let's compare to the Mac Mini at $799.99, sans keyboard:

# 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Super-Drive

Nvidia Integrated 9400M

320GB harddrive (laptop drive, ATA 5400rpm)

Bluetooth

Not even a fair comparison.

What I'm trying to say is, this is not the version of this thread we'd be talking about a year ago. The differences have gotten a lot wider. A lot wider. This is not a small amount extra for a great OS. This is not $200 more for a great OS. This is like twice the power for $150 bucks less.

• Members

Doesn't this thread pop up about once a month?

Any computer with decent parts and the correct operating system will be decent.

As far as OS's go, there are many flavors of windows and linux, but only one of OSX.

OSX does a good bit to be a jack of all trades, but IMO for specific tasks, a windows or most likely a Linux box will perform the best.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of Windows, my posting ont his forum all over the place confirms that. But jeez, the hardware disparity is getting to be so bad it's really unjustifiable, especially overseas where you must be paying even more than we do!

The software is brilliant... but that Apple tax is running ridiculously high these days.

I gotta agree. I am a die-hard lifelong Apple devotee, from my first Apple IIe to my 4 gig Quadra, to my current Mac Pro, and I'll be getting a new one this year.

But this really is getting absurd.

Now, for a lot of those cheaper computers, you're going to be replacing them a lot more often than you will a Mac, for a variety of reasons. Most people I know who use their computers a lot, or for business have to upgrade or replace or fix their computer or hardware far more often. I've had my current computer for two and a half years, and my recent ker{censored}ery with the video card is the first major problem I've had with it.

In that same time frame, two of my best friends have gotten new computers three times. My friends who work in the video game industry get a new tower every 6 months.

But there are guys who build from components off newegg and stuff that keep their {censored} forever.

Now that the chip R&D for Apple isn't all on their shoulders (since switching from that proprietary Motorola deal to Intel), you'd think some of the burden that keeps them from being competitive price-wise would be gone, and that the influx of cash from the iPhone would bouy the bottom line, and getting a larger market share by creating more Mac users that would then NEED iPods and iPhones to sync their digital lifestylez would create value added incentive to price the computers better, but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

They're gonna focus on MacTV. :facepalm:

But Apple has a history of charging an assload for new product to soak the early adopters, then lowering the prices after the intitial geekcred crowd does their thing. Once the newer Nephalim chip loaded stuff pays for itself, I think, prices may come down a bit.

But on the whole, I agree, Apple needs to rethink it's drink on pricing to stay competitive. I don't mind paying a premium for better (IMHO) product, but they are pushing the limits.

EDIT: And don't get me {censored}ing started on the Apple Cinema displays. I can buy a {censored}ing 42" TV with better specs for that kinda dough.

• Members

Almost the same rumor that's been around for months.

Also, it's not a netbook if it costs $800. Small screen =/= netbook.

The netbook concept is not as rigid as some may think. I was under the impression that the netbook concept is:

ultra portable (emphasis on battery life over performance)

wifi capable

But in the end putting boundaries on what you want to call it doesn't really matter that much. It looks like the apple product is going to be a combination of netbook concept of ultra portability and touch-tablet tech functionality. So, it's not quite a netbook no, and I doubt it will compete with the current netbook market.

Oh, and the rumors have mostly been confirmed, there are tons of articles about apple placing orders for components of the new product. The touch screen has been confirmed as well.

• Members
Probably not, but it just seems stupid to buy a macbook with integrated graphics when you could get something with a real video card (and probably more RAM and a faster processor) for less money. My sense of being cheated overpowers my desire to own a sexy looking macbook in this case

That said, my next laptop will probably be a 15" Macbook Pro
:o

Still the sexiest mofo'ing Laptop to be had....I miss mine :cry:

• Members

The netbook concept is not as rigid as some may think. I was under the impression that the netbook concept is:

ultra portable (emphasis on battery life over performance)

wifi capable

But in the end putting boundaries on what you want to call it doesn't really matter that much.
It looks like the apple product is going to be a combination of netbook concept of ultra portability and touch-tablet tech functionality. So, it's not quite a netbook no, and I doubt it will compete with the current netbook market.

Sounds to me like it's going to be a 12" tablet. That's been done. And you can hardly say it hasn't been done elegantly, the Thinkpad X series tablets have been available at the 12" mark for some time kicking ass. Apple's just making it smaller, and if rumors are true, taking out the keyboard.

Apple is making an ultra-portable, not a netbook.

Netbooks have almost come to be defined more by the chipset they use (Via or Intel Atom) than any other feature set, but it's quite clear that the focus is 90% on portability and price and 5% on feature and 5% power. The rumored Apple machine is hardly being designed that way. This sounds more like the Apple tablet version of the iPhone that was rumored since 6 months out of the original iPhone, only now people want to call it a netbook to leech onto the current buzz words. It's like half the {censored} that purports to be "nanotechnology". Sure, it's science on a nanoscale, but so is pretty much all of chemistry. Half of the {censored} we call "nano" is just to jump on the funding bandwagon.

I guess my real point is mostly, "yawn". Unless we're talking e-Ink, or AMOLED, and some other truly innovative combination of features that everyone else is too stupid to produce, this is just going to be a very large Nokia Internet Tablet.

• Members

The problem with a tablet computer will be the operating system. Unless Snow Leopard has some features specifically for touchscreen it might be more difficult to use than it should be. For example some OSX programs use that damned tiny version of the top bar (the one with the close, minimize etc buttons) and it's hard to click with a mouse. Think how hard it'll be to click with your finger.

Other than that I'm looking forward to trying one. For all I know it might be just what I need. Apple is one of the few computer companies these days that do sometimes come out with stuff that just makes sense, like the multitouch, buttonless trackpad.

For desktop machines, there's less and less need to change them these days. CPUs aren't advancing as fast as they were when we moved from single core to dual core systems. Those were a big improvement but nowadays it's simply slight speed bumps and more cores, which can't be utilized in most programs and thus in everyday use your 2 GHz dual core will do most tasks almost as fast as my 3.4 GHz quad core. I'll be most likely skipping the whole Core iSomething generation because they don't offer anything significant over my current setup.

For graphics cards, apart from games and 3D modeling, even the integrated 9400Ms in Apples computers will be plenty for regular stuff, 1080p movies and so on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hackintosh FTW.

Just get a Core2Duo machine and odds are you can find an OSX86 distribution that will make it work. Buy the retail OSX disc and you are covered by the EULA. Oh, slap a Mac sticker on the inside of the box too.

I agree entirely. I've built 2 dual core, 3 quad core, and 2 I7 systems in the past few months and haven't had any problems at all. They're used for either final cut or pro tools without any issues.

The most spent was 1100 on an i7 with 2TB of storage. Sure beats the hell outta 3600 from mac.

• Members

I agree entirely. I've built 2 dual core, 3 quad core, and 2 I7 systems in the past few months and haven't had any problems at all. They're used for either final cut or pro tools without any issues.

The most spent was 1100 on an i7 with 2TB of storage. Sure beats the hell outta 3600 from mac.

{censored} the stuff you can buy at Best Buy kicks the ass out of the Apple products price wise.

I guess I could build an i7 Hackintosh, but there's very little info out on a lot of the i7 hardware and I'd definitely be nervous running a hack like that as my main OS on my main computer.

• Members

{censored} the stuff you can buy at Best Buy kicks the ass out of the Apple products price wise.

I guess I could build an i7 Hackintosh, but there's very little info out on a lot of the i7 hardware and I'd definitely be nervous running a hack like that as my main OS on my main computer.

Then get a cheaper chip for now and wait until the price drops on the i7 stuff AND the Hackintoshes are more proven with that hardware.

I run an e2180 clocked from 1.6 to 3.2 on air with ZERO problems.

• Members

I have a 17" MBP (the last generation, not the new one) and it kills. I do graphic design for a living and work on it all day every day with very few issues. I'm looking into a Mac Pro right now, so we'll see.

The main thing I like about Macs is the OS. I know, I can hack a PC to run OS X, which I have done before, but it's not the same.

OS X is something that Windows has been trying to duplicate for quite some time. To me it's worth the price of admission. I'm not an Apple elitist by any stretch. I think it's funny how some PC folks think that everyone with a Mac is an "elitist".

I do web design and development on my 24" iMac that I picked up a couple of months ago and my 15" macbook pro that I just picked up and I agree, for what I do, it kills.

• Members
Then get a cheaper chip for now and wait until the price drops on the i7 stuff AND the Hackintoshes are more proven with that hardware.

I run an e2180 clocked from 1.6 to 3.2 on air with ZERO problems.

To be honest, I'm probably going to wait for the new socket to be out and see what happens to prices and re-evaluate. I really do need a new machine, but I'm getting what I can out of this one I built. At that moment, the i7 stuff is actually cheaper to buy pre-built and that's just not something I'm gonna get involved in.

I've been waiting since March, but hopefully by December with the i5s out on the new chipset, there will be an option that fits the right price:performance, and maybe I'll even be able to run OSX on it.

In the meantime, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to be running Linux on all of my machines for quite some time to come.

I have to admit, I saw some really nice laptops today that made me reconsider my stance on not replacing my T43.

Pretty amazing that a guy as geeky as me is still using an AMD3200+ with 1gb of RAM and a 6800GT as his main machine, and an IBM Thinkpad T43 14" with 1.5ghz Pentium M, 64mb ATI x300, and 1.5gb RAM as his laptop.

Man, it's really time to upgrade.

Maybe I should get on the spend half as much, buy twice as often bandwagon, though that seems wasteful. It is more fun :D.

Archived