I'm normally an Apple defender...

JBecker

• Members

I built this computer I'm using right now for about $1k.

It does everything I want it to, in flying colors, without a cough.

Money well spent, I love this thing, and I'm very proud of what I accomplished.

Can't wait to record/mix with it, and OC my proc/GPUs. :D

... just thought you all should know.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I built this computer I'm using right now for about $1k.

It does everything I want it to, in flying colors, without a cough.

Money well spent, I love this thing, and I'm very proud of what I accomplished.

Can't wait to record/mix with it, and OC my proc/GPUs.
:D

... just thought you all should know.

Your proud because you built a PC? It's as easy as Legos for godsake. That said, I'm glad you like it. Music production on a Mac is still way more stable and fast...at least it is for me.

• Members

I built my own machine 4 years ago and I'm still using it. I'm going to have ot replace it sometime this year but I'm not sure when and I'm not sure that I'm going to end up building. Core i7 stuff is basically at parody with a pre-built machine for the last 5 months or so.

• Members

Your proud because you built a PC? It's as easy as Legos for godsake. That said, I'm glad you like it. Music production on a Mac is still way more stable and fast...at least it is for me.

I'm proud because I did everything myself, without much studying. I didn't even look at the manual much. :o:idk: It wasn't hard, but some of the problems I ran into weren't easy.

Maybe I'll buy a Mac when I hit big bank. :o

• Members
I'm proud because I did everything myself, without much studying. I didn't even look at the manual much.
:o:idk:
It wasn't hard, but some of the problems I ran into weren't easy.

Maybe I'll buy a Mac when I hit big bank.
:o

Honestly, it is like Legos, unless you're a fanatic about cable management like me, but even then it's not a complex process.

• Members

How?

We were running our recording software on a machine with 2 gigs of RAM, the computer just COULDN'T do it.

Our bass player just bought a PC with 8 gigs of RAM, and running cubase and its effects, Reason and all its doodads, and guitar amp simulation software with its effects, is STILL putting a strain on the computer when it comes to playing back all the tracks we've got running with all that stuff.

Does whatever software you use on the Mac just use that much less resources? Because your typical mac has 2-3 gigs RAM, and that wasn't close to sufficient for us.

• Members

No multitask, no physical keyboard.

They will be able to multitask in the next model though. Plus there are just so many cool apps for the IPhone. There is really nothing that can compete with it right now (even if something else is actually better).

• Members

They will be able to multitask in the next model though. Plus there are just so many cool apps for the IPhone. There is really nothing that can compete with it right now (even if something else is actually better).

so it's taken them 4 generations to give it the ability to multitask? :poke:

• Members

Copy and paste and MMS took how many revisions and how long? Multitask is not something I'm holding my breath for. Exchange support took how long? Physical keyboard is alleviated how?

I don't really need another iPod, in fact, I'd rather not have my iPod be my phone since I almost exclusively use the iPod with my stereo and in my car and wnat my whole collection on the same device.

So basically, I'm paying for flash memory and interface but not getting functionality.

I'm not sure there are any really great smart phones out there, but iPhone is not the unquestionable leader amongst anyone who cares about anything other than the logo.

• Members

How the {censored} do you multitask on a cell phone? The screen isn't even big enough to have multiple windows/apps open
:freak:

Run an app in the background when I get a call, switch from a preloaded website, and not lose the music I'm playing.

I run multiple apps on my {censored}ty Tilt all the time.

Stay signed on to AIM without a half-ass push system... etc...

• Members
Run an app in the background when I get a call, switch from a preloaded website, and not lose the music I'm playing.

Yeah but does your phone have a guitar tuner on it or a 4-track? :D

• Members

How?

We were running our recording software on a machine with 2 gigs of RAM, the computer just COULDN'T do it.

Our bass player just bought a PC with 8 gigs of RAM, and running cubase and its effects, Reason and all its doodads, and guitar amp simulation software with its effects, is STILL putting a strain on the computer when it comes to playing back all the tracks we've got running with all that stuff.

Does whatever software you use on the Mac just use that much less resources? Because your typical mac has 2-3 gigs RAM, and that wasn't close to sufficient for us.

I wish I could get technical for you, but I don't know what happens under the hood.

I just know that I have half the latency I had before, and that CoreAudio crashes and glitches less that ASIO.

Just what I've seen on my end...I probably shouldn't have stated it as fact but I've found my Mac setup to be much better overall for audio production.

But other than that, I like PCs as well.

• Members

It runs apps in the background when I get a call. Once the call has ended it resumes where I left off :idk: Be it the iPod feature, Mail, weather, stock quotes, etc...

I don't know anything about AIM. Once I had a nice mobile email program, all other text based communications were rendered useless.

• Members
It runs apps in the background when I get a call. Once the call has ended it resumes where I left off
:idk:
Be it the iPod feature, Mail, weather, stock quotes, etc...

I don't know anything about AIM. Once I had a nice mobile email program, all other text based communications were rendered useless.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/10/editorial-taking-the-iphone-3gs-off-the-job-market/

+ I am constantly using multiple forms of communication-- some people use text, some like email, most like some sort of instant messaging client. Not everyone has email on their phone and so it's not the best way to get a hold of them.

• Members

Apple didn't come up with it, but it exists, and it's basically as powerful as DirectX, though only some companies embrace it. It's called OpenGL, and developers need to be convinced cross-platform work is worthwhile.

Every game I've tried that is available for both OSX and Windows runs slower on OSX. Not that it runs badly, but still noticeably slower. For example I could run Call of Duty 4 at 2560x1600 smoothly in Windows but not in OSX, where I had to drop to 1920x1200 to get great framerates and I'm not even those "must be 100 fps or more" folks.

I don't think it's even a case of OpenGL vs DirectX (I think CoD4 runs in OpenGL on both OSs?) but something in OSX makes it less suitable for games.

Font rendering is best on Windows IMO, because it's suited for displays due to the way it fits into the pixel grid, though this sacrifices the font shape a bit. OSX goes for accurate, print like fonts and that works better for big fonts and also if the screen has more pixels per inch. It can be blurry on smaller fonts. You do get used to it though. Linux tends to have something that is between these two and I find it a strain on the eyes usually.

As for the iPhone, I love the lack of a physical keyboard. It keeps the device size and weight down and I find the virtual keyboard is very easy to type on, not to mention it can be used in both vertical and horizontal orientation. I haven't felt the need for multitasking more than a few times, if you get a call, whatever you were doing will keep running in the background - music playing even automatically resumes after the call has ended. The reason why the iPhone is still the yardstick for all other smart phones is because its usability is better than any of the others I've tried. It may not have the highest number of features but what it does it does well. The camera is the only thing I don't like and that seems to be mostly fixed in the 3GS. I've got the 3G, I'll probably get the next version that hopefully comes out next year.

• Members

Every game I've tried that is available for both OSX and Windows runs slower on OSX. Not that it runs badly, but still noticeably slower. For example I could run Call of Duty 4 at 2560x1600 smoothly in Windows but not in OSX, where I had to drop to 1920x1200 to get great framerates and I'm not even those "must be 100 fps or more" folks.

I don't think it's even a case of OpenGL vs DirectX (I think CoD4 runs in OpenGL on both OSs?) but something in OSX makes it less suitable for games.

On this topic I'm not super knowledgeable because I don't game. However, I was just saying there is a DirectX alternative.

Font rendering is best on Windows IMO, because it's suited for displays due to the way it fits into the pixel grid, though this sacrifices the font shape a bit. OSX goes for accurate, print like fonts and that works better for big fonts and also if the screen has more pixels per inch. It can be blurry on smaller fonts. You do get used to it though. Linux tends to have something that is between these two and I find it a strain on the eyes usually.

This is always a preference thing. I happen to really like the way Linux handles fonts by default. OSX strains my eyes, especially Safari. Windows I'm ambiguous toward.

As for the iPhone, I love the lack of a physical keyboard. It keeps the device size and weight down and I find the virtual keyboard is very easy to type on, not to mention it can be used in both vertical and horizontal orientation. I haven't felt the need for multitasking more than a few times, if you get a call, whatever you were doing will keep running in the background - music playing even automatically resumes after the call has ended. The reason why the iPhone is still the yardstick for all other smart phones is because its usability is better than any of the others I've tried. It may not have the highest number of features but what it does it does well. The camera is the only thing I don't like and that seems to be mostly fixed in the 3GS. I've got the 3G, I'll probably get the next version that hopefully comes out next year.

My own experience strongly favors the physical keyboard. This is 95% of my complaint with the iPhone. Seriously. It's the yardstick for other smart phones because it was the first to use a touch interface effectively and because the nature of Apple, it's the first to really catch the flair of "average" users. Amongst my 22 year-old friends, Blackberries are at least equally popular.

Archived