I'm normally an Apple defender...

JBecker

• Members

Dual boot Xubuntu / Windows works well for me. Windows for my audio apps only (no networking at all), Xubuntu for everything else.

To be honest, I haven't even dual booted on either my desktop or laptop for 1.5 years now and it hasn't really caused me trouble. I do write major papers (more than 3k words) in the library on their Windows machines because the formatting is a bit complex on some of those documents and requires a fully functioning version of Word for authoring (Office 2003 in Wine is about 95% there for word, about 80% for Excel). I also am not recording at all at the moment...

I don't actually need Windows or OSX, but OSX is fun enough that I wouldn't mind having it around. I could do OSx86 but the point of having OSX is 0 tinker, 0 thinking, futzing with really cool software that probably doesn't function 100%.

::sigh::

Apple is only thinking of how to entice people with a new U2 exclusive or ambiguous indie song on an iPod commercial, and not the person who loves to use his computer like me.

That being said, I'll still be using an iPod basically forever...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't the iPod overpriced, overhyped and just a product of smart marketing as well?

Yes-- but it's created a market of peripherals that are incompatible with other devices that's unrivaled. I can't do seemless control of my X with a car stereo, and no player is well designed to control while sitting in a car from the device itself.

Unless Apple drops the proprietary adapter for mini-USB and the accessories have to follow suit, I'm basically locked in.

I'd much rather have a device with FLAC and OGG support.

• Members

I also am not recording at all at the moment...

Ah...well when you are, you'll realize why I keep Windows on a separate partition. :) You can make things work in Linux if you really want to, but it's hard to guess what your success will be in making it run without issues (especially at low latency with the "low latency" or "realtime" kernels...which may require rebooting to load those kernels anyway, so why not have a dual-boot with Windows if it works better). Meanwhile I can use a fairly average (but good quality) sound card in Windows with ASIO running rock-solid in Reaper with 4ms total latency, a USB MIDI controller for faders/transport/pan/etc. functionality in the DAW, and have a wide variety of free or inexpensive plugins to choose from.

• Members

Is that really going to be an issue for me? I'm going to be programming, running statistics, and building presentations?

Probably not, but it just seems stupid to buy a macbook with integrated graphics when you could get something with a real video card (and probably more RAM and a faster processor) for less money. My sense of being cheated overpowers my desire to own a sexy looking macbook in this case

That said, my next laptop will probably be a 15" Macbook Pro :o

• Members
Pidgin

oh god I hate Pidgin :mad:

I had ubuntu on my laptop for a bit and it was more reliable than Windows 7. I went back to 7 though because I hate the way ubuntu/linux renders text, its {censored}ing awful. It can probably be fixed but I couldnt be bothered to mess with it. I got annoyed with all the minimise/maximise etc animations as well :o

• Members

The Mac Mini and iMac are very convenient devices. They take little space, are very quiet and for the average user powerful enough. I was seriously considering getting my parents the Mac Mini when it was updated but I felt it was too expensive for what it is and instead just used some of my old PC parts and bought a motherboard and built them a nice Core2Duo rig for little money.

I like Apple's Macbook Pros and iPods (as well as iPhone) a lot. Nice devices. However, for a desktop system I prefer running a PC with both OSX and Windows 7 running on it. When using OSX, my current quad core system seems to beat all the quad core Mac Pros in tests.

• Members

500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 320GB

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Blu-ray player & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner

Wireless-N LAN card

$648.99, no education discount that I'm sure I could find if I look.

Let's compare to the Mac Mini at $799.99, sans keyboard:

# 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

# 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Super-Drive

Nvidia Integrated 9400M

320GB harddrive (laptop drive, ATA 5400rpm)

Bluetooth

Not even a fair comparison.

I'm wondering how the hp slimline can run a 1gb nvidia card and all the extra stuff with a 220 watt power supply?

• Members

I'm wondering how the hp slimline can run a 1gb nvidia card and all the extra stuff with a 220 watt power supply?

because it's a GT220. video memory isn't indicative of a video cards performance by any means. it's a {censored}ty chip with relatively low performance.

we're using the HP slimlines exclusively at work now(replaced lenovo M57p in our standards) and all of our field personnel love them.

• Members

because it's a GT220. video memory isn't indicative of a video cards performance by any means. it's a {censored}ty chip with relatively low performance.

we're using the HP slimlines exclusively at work now(replaced lenovo M57p in our standards) and all of our field personnel love them.

Correct, however, that memory makes for damn sure no matter what you're not touching my system's RAM (which I already have more of), and the GT220 is still better than the 9400M.

• Members

After deleting AVG, I've actually come to enjoy my PeeCee laptop. I hate the way it looks, the lights all over the keyboard, the trackpad, etc... but it's fast, does everything I need it to, and hasn't had any issues. When I was trying to scrape up the money for an amp, I actually sold my Macbook (both laptops were frivolous purchases, and the Mac was worth more), and honestly I don't miss it too much.

I still love OSX, and once my wife graduates, we've already come to an agreement that I get a new Mac Pro to replace my old Power Mac. Do I need it? Hell no, a Mac Mini is overkill for most of my needs, but I'm a sucker for a pretty interface. :D

• Members

and until apple comes up with a DirectX alternative with game industry backing, i'm sticking with windows.

Apple didn't come up with it, but it exists, and it's basically as powerful as DirectX, though only some companies embrace it. It's called OpenGL, and developers need to be convinced cross-platform work is worthwhile.

• Members

Apple didn't come up with it, but it exists, and it's basically as powerful as DirectX, though only some companies embrace it. It's called OpenGL, and developers need to be convinced cross-platform work is worthwhile.

i know what openGL is, and until it's embraced by developers like DirectX, i don't really care about it.

• Members
Did I mention Im browsing on a 17inch MBP?

Suck it.
:p

Me too...it's only a couple of weeks old and it screams. Expensive {censored}er though...I must say. Great for gigging. I hook up my guitar synth into the midi in on my MOTU interface and watch people's mouth drop when I start a soundscape loop.

Mac's native CoreAudio smokes ASIO...that's all I have to say.

I could care less about OpenGL vs. Directx10. I dual boot over to Vista and Bioshock looks like God

Archived