jet city amplification?

the_woodoo_mule

• Members

I second Matt's words. You have been kick ass. You guys and red Star have been classy, forthcoming and totally honest, not just here to plug your wares and openly getting involved in the tom foolery of this lovely little subcommunity.

Thanks man. On this alone I'm interested :thu:

-Curtis

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks guys - I appreciate the welcome. I'm here for two reasons:

1. too make sure the story is straight if people make assumptions which are not accurate.

2. to learn from the market.

@ Brad - hello! No, people didn't applaud those early BEH amps, but, I think you also know I had no input on those designs, and I left that company in 2003...

• Members

Hi Dave - I guess you could say the SL60 is the great great Uncle of JCA100H. SL60 was unlike any other Soldano product the pcb was not laid-out by Mike himself - the Japanese manufacturer did the engineering based upon Mike's circuit. Later, Soldano came out with the Hot Rod 50 which was a more direct follow-up to SL60.

JCA100H was designed by Mike personally and is of course 100 watts, and also has 2 channels.

That's about all I know, I have never personally seen or heard an SL60. D.

• Members

Hi Dave - I guess you could say the SL60 is the great great Uncle of JCA100H. SL60 was unlike any other Soldano product the pcb was not laid-out by Mike himself - the Japanese manufacturer did the engineering based upon Mike's circuit. Later, Soldano came out with the Hot Rod 50 which was a more direct follow-up to SL60.

JCA100H was designed by Mike personally and is of course 100 watts, and also has 2 channels.

That's about all I know, I have never personally seen or heard an SL60. D.

That

• Members

Well... about how it sounds - MRAAJR is right, how can I be objective about this? Of course we feel it sounds great. But I think that verdict belongs to the market. Yes, we will do sound clips when the time is right, but, even still, everyone wants a different guitar, a different setting, or uses some desktop speakers which won't allow you to really hear it anyway. The real evaluations will come in the music shops at buying decision time.

But I can tell you this: I have been in the music industry for a long time, and I have managed a lot of products, and the good people in this forum have heard those amps and applauded them. And, Mike and I have personally spent a lot of time on the JCA100H - we labored over the transformer, we stood in the factory's engineering labs and put it through all the tests, and most important we played it and played it and played it. And we are PROUD of it. That's why it says Soldano, right on the front panel...

Sorry if I go on too long - I'm very passionate about our new company and our products...

Please e-mail Jerry Dyer at Surreal Amps and give him some tips on how to promote his products with class.

This is how you do it, folks, and I'm intrigued not only by the amps, but also by the classiness of the guy running the show. Good job! :thu:

You guys definitely need more clips, though, and some that feature the higher gain settings. I like what little I've heard, though!

• Members

Sheik - thanks. Actually though I have been managing music companies for many years, I am VERY new to using forums - so I'm glad to know I haven't blow it so far.

Regarding clips, yeah, we have a couple more we will get posted but then need to record another series. Learned a lot during the recording of the first 4 or 5, so I think we can do much better. I also need to learn how to post the audio-only clips to the product specific pages on the website...

• Members

I agree with about the clips. Make sure that they are 100%, even if we have to wait a bit longer to hear them.

I love the concept of the amps. As a big Soldano fan, who can't afford a $2K amp I can't wait to hear one of the Jet City amps in person. I'm especially curious about the Andy Marshall(THD) designed amp that's listed as coming soon on the website.

• Members

Any feedback on the 3 clips already on YouTube would be appreciated. I think they are not bad... maybe the bass on the higher-gain sample got a little too mushy...

The THD amp is called PicoValve for now (Andy's name for it) but if you all have any name ideas it isn't too late. His THD Uni and Bi-Valves are where this design is inspired. It will be 5 watts with a 1/2 power switch, and his swappable power tube design. So "Pico" sorta made sense. So far it sounds awesome and the design is nearly complete.

• Members

Any feedback on the 3 clips already on YouTube would be appreciated. I think they are not bad... maybe the bass on the higher-gain sample got a little too mushy...

The THD amp is called PicoValve for now (Andy's name for it) but if you all have any name ideas it isn't too late. His THD Uni and Bi-Valves are where this design is inspired. It will be 5 watts with a 1/2 power switch, and his swappable power tube design. So "Pico" sorta made sense. So far it sounds awesome and the design is nearly complete.

Yeah, the higher gain clip didn

• Members

ok, someone help me out. what's up with the spacesuits in the avatars? do I need to get one of those?

@ Dave, thanks - good advice.

@ potaetoes - I see you're a local here. yeah, hooking up both those guys just seemed like a natural idea. and, there's more of that type of stuff to come in our strategy.

@ Helstrume - ok, that demo sounds @#$(*% hot. Love it. As the manufacturer I think we have to NOT use pedals in the signal path (unless they are our pedals) but in the case of an end-user, it's fair, right?

I have a great product idea I would enjoy discussing with you dudes but I'm afraid a competitor with more resources than us could drop in here and learn about it...

• Members
ok, someone help me out. what's up with the spacesuits in the avatars? do I need to get one of those?

@ Dave, thanks - good advice.

@ potaetoes - I see you're a local here. yeah, hooking up both those guys just seemed like a natural idea. and, there's more of that type of stuff to come in our strategy.

@ Helstrume - ok, that demo sounds @#$(*% hot. Love it. As the manufacturer I think we have to NOT use pedals in the signal path (unless they are our pedals) but in the case of an end-user, it's fair, right?

I have a great product idea I would enjoy discussing with you dudes but I'm afraid a competitor with more resources than us could drop in here and learn about it...

Never know whos lurking for ideas :cop: I think user flapjacks started with the astronaut thing. People just started making them for fun. Don't worry, we'll put your amp on a body :thu:

• Members

@ Abstract - you make a fine point. There is only ONE Soldano SLO. It has been copied several times, it has been modeled several times. But there is only one. Soldano has indeed used the same preamp "formula" in other products such as the Avenger, the Decatone, etc, but there are other parts of a circuit which create the amp's sound - as you noted transformers are very important.

So YES, the Jet City JCA100H does indeed feature the SAME preamp circuit which makes Soldano famous and desireable, but no, it isn't an SLO100 - there's only one...

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

:thu:

Can't wait to hear some clips, and see some prices. You seem like a good guy, definitely better than the jackasses that we have had around these forums peddling their stuff.

btw, are you saying we get the stickers for free, just because?

Cuz I'll rock that shit on my mini-fridge all day, man. :poke:

Archived