PETITION - Keep Legacy 1.0 open

Engl Kramer

• Members

To whom it may concern, quit trying to reinvent the wheel, round is good! Improvements are fine, build on what works and is popular with the community, but don't put spinners on a square and tell us its gooder.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Looks like we might get our wish, guys! Check it out:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/message/26640111#26640111

:thu:

i doubt it. i bet they broke the search originally trying to tie the forum into the main site search. which is what they are trying to accomplish with jive. if they cant get whatever they are working on to work like that, expect to see a lot of posts on the subject to disappear and things of that nature to be swept under the rug there after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Anderton- never let it be said y'all don't listen...even if it took a while :poke:

Listening didn't take a while - switching back did! The problems we had with 1.0 didn't go away magically while it was gone...took some work to get this back up to spec. But so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc. etc.) it's pretty much holding up okay.

• Members

It's really awesome that 1.0 is coming back for good. I'm sure it sucks financially, but maybe more users will return here.

Well, no one believed me when I said it wasn't a financial issue for the powers that be at HC. Maybe they will now...

It was always about trying to give the best forum to the community. As I've said before...you can sure as hell fault the execution, but not the motivation.

As to users returning, hey, spread the word!

• Members

Well, no one believed me when I said it wasn't a financial issue for the powers that be at HC. Maybe they will now...

It was
always
about trying to give the best forum to the community. As I've said before...you can sure as hell fault the execution, but not the motivation.

As to users returning, hey, spread the word!

Just to play Devil's advocate, the crash and burn in site rankings and the corresponding drop in advertising rates what would have likely followed could have been a motivator too. Not saying that's the way it is, but a cynical person could say that the user community never liked or wanted 2.0. From a user perspective it seems like it was pushed on us and it wasn't till we pushed back really hard that they finally got the message.

HC: The great 2.0 is coming

Users: We like 1.0. Just fix the search

HC: 2.0 will do all kinds of cool stuff

Users: We just want to talk to each other. Not interested in cool stuff

HC: But the cool stuff is cool

Users: Don't care if it's cool. It's ugly

HC: Here it is. You can thank us now

Users: This sucks give us back 1.0

HC: We're working on fixing 2.0

Users: We don't want 2.0. Give us back 1.0

HC: We hear you and we're fixing 2.0 as fast as we can

Users: Give us back 1.0 or we're out of here

HC: Any day now 2.0 will be unicorns and rainbows

HC: Hello?

HC: Where did everybody go?

HC Uh oh, our advertisers won't like this

Good thing I'm not cynical.

• Members

Just to play Devil's advocate, the crash and burn in site rankings and the corresponding drop in advertising rates what would have likely followed could have been a motivator too.

Well, no need to play Devil's advocate, that was of course something that couldn't be ignored but at that point, it was more like the final nail in the coffin. If the people at HC, particularly the moderators, had been happy with 2.0 and felt that the community just needed some time to get used to it, that would have been one thing. I'd say the biggest gap was the users saying "this sucks" and the people at HC (including myself at first) thinking "the things that suck can be fixed, and then we'll have the cool extra goodies too." But when it became clear things couldn't be fixed, at least not in a timely manner, and that vB offered a better experience for the foreseeable future, that was pretty much end of story. Then the question became how fast the vB stuff could be brought back on line, and whether it would be reliable enough.

FWIW the people delving into vB have found and fixed all kinds of junk code that was slowing things down. I've noticed that the vB forums seem to be working better than they did in the pre-2.0 days, so that's a good thing.

However, I should also add I've been very pleasantly surprised at how the content side of the site has been shaping up. There have been a lot of simplifications and tweaks, and a lot more content...there are now 800 videos up there, for example.

I also found out (I'm a little slow sometimes) that the new user reviews can work just like the old ones where you could just enter Manufacturer and Product and be exposed to a list of reviews for those products. All you have to do is ignore the cascading filter thing, go to the main search box (the one with the blue outline) in the upper right, and type in (for example) Yamaha Pacifica. Then links appear for the reviews of all the various models in that line, pretty much like the old site.

I'm going to ask to add a line of text to the main user review page that says something to the effect of "To find a specific manufacturer and model, enter those in the main search box." Should make life a lot easier for people.

With the pressure off to fix the forums, we can now turn our attention to the content side, which based on what's happened just the in last week is better than what we had before and when all tweaks are made, will be MUCH better than what we had before. Progress is being made...

• Members

Well, no need to play Devil's advocate, that was of course something that couldn't be ignored but at that point, it was more like the final nail in the coffin. If the people at HC, particularly the moderators, had been happy with 2.0 and felt that the community just needed some time to get used to it, that would have been one thing. I'd say the biggest gap was the users saying "this sucks" and the people at HC (including myself at first) thinking "the things that suck can be fixed, and then we'll have the cool extra goodies too." But when it became clear things couldn't be fixed, at least not in a timely manner, and that vB offered a better experience for the foreseeable future, that was pretty much end of story. Then the question became how fast the vB stuff could be brought back on line, and whether it would be reliable enough.

FWIW the people delving into vB have found and fixed all kinds of junk code that was slowing things down. I've noticed that the vB forums seem to be working better than they did in the pre-2.0 days, so that's a good thing.

However, I should also add I've been very pleasantly surprised at how the content side of the site has been shaping up. There have been a lot of simplifications and tweaks, and a lot more content...there are now 800 videos up there, for example.

I also found out (I'm a little slow sometimes) that the new user reviews can work just like the old ones where you could just enter Manufacturer and Product and be exposed to a list of reviews for those products. All you have to do is ignore the cascading filter thing, go to the main search box (the one with the blue outline) in the upper right, and type in (for example) Yamaha Pacifica. Then links appear for the reviews of all the various models in that line, pretty much like the old site.

I'm going to ask to add a line of text to the main user review page that says something to the effect of "To find a specific manufacturer and model, enter those in the main search box." Should make life a lot easier for people.

With the pressure off to fix the forums, we can now turn our attention to the content side, which based on what's happened just the in last week is better than what we had before and when all tweaks are made, will be MUCH better than what we had before. Progress is being made...

Sounds like things are finally headed in the right direction. Can you share a bit about what Jive's reaction to all this was? By PM if you like. As somebody in the industry, I'm curious what fell where.

But when it became clear things couldn't be fixed, at least not in a timely manner, and that vB offered a better experience for the foreseeable future, that was pretty much end of story. Then the question became how fast the vB stuff could be brought back on line, and whether it would be reliable enough.

I think that the new vB is getting better and if you search their forums and vBulletin.org you find all kinds of tweaks to fix things that are issues with vB4.0.

I've been running it on my forum since February and I think that I mentioned that I didn't feel like it was workable for HC a few months ago. That was before I saw some of the optimization articles and applied some of the tweaks to my place. The forums work pretty well although the search still sucks (they are working on integrating a 3rd party search right now: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?350427-Sphinx-search-BETA-for-vBulletin-4.0) but one thing that was mentioned quite a bit on my forum from people who were active on both sites was that many of the things that 2.0 was missing was already a part of of the new VB.

The content management system is still a mess, though. They have a ways to go before it is really ready for a site like HC and from what I've ready it seems like you are sticking with the Jive stuff for that portion of the site. I use it for video lessons and build tutorials but the formatting gets pretty wonky sometimes. If you want to see what a working VB 4.0.3 site looks like that has been pretty customized from the default that you see on vbulletin.com you can check out what I've done with it at www.MWGLforums.com.

Archived