Anyone ever use gun oil on their fretboard?

jlb32

• Members

I don't like any oils on my guitars. I usually clean them with a dry cloth. As long as you clean your guitar regularly, it should be enough.

My motto is: if you need anything other than a dry cloth to clean your guitar, you're not cleaning it as often as you should.

Regular maintenance is the key.

• Members

I don't like any oils on my guitars. I usually clean them with a dry cloth. As long as you clean your guitar regularly, it should be enough.

My motto is: if you need anything other than a dry cloth to clean your guitar, you're not cleaning it as often as you should.

Regular maintenance is the key.

The fretboard will get dry over time if you don't put something on it occasionally.

• Members

Tru oil = gunstock oil = great on unfinished bodies and necks. Nothing stopping you from using it on fretboards.

It creates a light varnish that embeds slightly into the wood; it needs about 24 hours to set, wire wool back and repeat and its a pretty durable pseudo-finish that protects the wood from grime and crap without affecting the sound (it doesnt sink in very much and it sets hard). Looks pretty too. And I like the smell, but then I like the smell of WD40 as well, so that might just be me.

• Members

I use Fret Doctor bore oil on my fretboards. It's expensive, but so is my guitar, so it's worth it. This stuff works so well, and is supposed to be really good for the wood because it's just oil and doesn't have any solvents in it and doesn't gunk up or feel gross. It's especially made for ebony, but it works really well for rosewood, and slightly darkens the wood, nicely. If you love your guitar, you won't mind spending the money for the good stuff. I use lemon oil for my cheaper guitars.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I live in Florida and in the summer it gets so hot my fingers perspire. When my fingers perspire they sort of stick to the strings. I tried baby oil that works well for sticky fingers. Right now I’m using a lubricant for the nut of my guitar called Tune It. I take little dab on the ball of my finger, rub my fingers together, and then I apply this to only the “unwound” strings (G, B, High E). A little dab will do you. This helps keep my sweaty fingers from being sticky fingers. LOL

• 5 months later...