What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

.homewrecker.

• Members

Brutal!!! I love it, every once in a while I go to a local Irish Pub and get a glass of that, she's somewhere around 120 horse though, definitely needs some water, makes my mouth and gums numb when I drink it. 59.4% alcohol I believe.
:thu:

Haha, I viewed the bottle with slight trepidation when I read it first!!

What I really liked about it when I first tried was that despite the alcohol level it didn't taste like paint stripper, but still had the full flavour and finish. I haven't had it neat, though, always with a little water as the bottle directs. A wonderful whisky indeed. :thu:

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of my favorites at the moment is Highland Park 12 year, its a great combination of a little bit of every "region" of single malt scotches. Some do not like it, but it is a flavor that I absolutely crave.

A man after my own heart.

Have you tried the 18 year old from them?

Gorgeous

• Members
If you haven't tried this, go buy a bottle. Stunningly good. $40 or so. Beats $100 scotch.

230227742.jpg

ah ha. in my price range, and info comes from good source. thanks, man!

not that I don't trust the rest of you, dissing JD, but I don't like scotch enough to drop more than $40 a bottle :D

• Members

N00b here (when it comes to hard drinks). So
Jack Daniels
or Maker's Mark to start off on whiskey?

No.

Jamesons. Cheap and tasty. I have not had Maker's Mark so I can't speak to that. I don't mind JD for mixing, but I don't find it enjoyable for sipping.

BUT, I am a whiskey novice myself. I've only had a few different ones and nothing "nicer" than Jamesons which I find tasty and friendly to my nooby mouth.

• Members
ah ha. in my price range, and info comes from good source. thanks, man!

not that I don't trust the rest of you, dissing JD, but I don't like scotch enough to drop more than $40 a bottle
:D

There's a bunch of single malts to be had for under 40 bucks.
Singleton
Bowmore
Maccallan 10
and if you're lucky, Highland Park 12

Just to name a few

• Members

If I'm sipping it, usually Jameson's or Crown Royal.

If its getting mixed with soda then whatever was on sale lately between Southern Comfort (not true whiskey I know), Seagrams, Jim Beam, or even something a step lower. I did learn my lesson on using ultra cheap whiskey even as a mixer. That was a tragic tale of woe and puking.

Wasn't R&R was it?

• Members

There's a bunch of single malts to be had for under 40 bucks.

Singleton

Bowmore

Maccallan 10

and if you're lucky, Highland Park 12

Just to name a few

There's a good start for getting into single malts. From the Speysides to the Islay's (Bowmore)... I have a bottle of Bowmore Legend 'The Original' here with me.. I cannot quite bring myself to drink it. I've tried every trick in the book and cannot get rid of the Plasticine aftertaste. Not an islay guy, I guess.

If you are just getting into them, try out different regions and different tastes, there are a billion whiskey's that all taste different... I've found that for smooth/sweet, Speysides are a good one. Glenmorangie is the smoothest pour I've had, Singleton is a good basic SM, Glenfidditch and MacCallan too. If you are looking for something that's easy to drink a lot of, go with an irish like Jameson. Straight or on the rocks, Jameson has never let me down..

• Members

Wasn't R&R was it?

I dunno what R&R is.....BUT....

ok, confession. It was whatever the hell Krogers sell's as their house brand. I figured "oh I'm mixing it...it'll be fine." Yeah, that was the first and last time I made that mistake. :facepalm:

Archived