OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Welp, the Vikes cut Bryant "The Matador" McKinnie today....

not shocked, but it's a shame that a guy with that much talent never figured out that it took some work to survive in the NFL.

hmm...that's the first i heard of that. Mixed feelings.

EDIT: Just read that he reported for camp extremely out-of-shape and overweight and that the Vikes had to put him on the non-football related injury list as a result. In that light it was a good move to get rid of him.

• Members

It seems sometimes talent is as much a curse as it is a blessing. If someone is super-talented, they can excel at lower levels without really trying. If that's the attitude they have, when they get to the highest levels of competition, they never have learned how to work hard (McKinnie would be but one example of this). Or maybe they excel even at the highest level, but when the physical talent begins to fade, they haven't got anything left to fall back on (I think this happened to Randy Moss). On the other hand, someone who has to fight for everything from day one can be motivated to become better than they ought to be based on physical attributes (Wes Welker leaps to mind). What is really scary is when you have someone who has both talent and that motivation. That's what produces a Jerry Rice.

• Members

The eagles just keep stacking their team. I'm still not sure how they are affording all these FA's. Honestly, if they can all play as a team and gel well together, they could be a serious serious contender this year

You can't buy cohesiveness or luck: Two components of any Super Bowl winning team. On paper, they look great. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Members

You can't buy cohesiveness or luck: Two components of any Super Bowl winning team. On paper, they look great. We'll just have to wait and see.

That's what I'm saying though. The pieces are definitely there. But a well oiled machine still needs oil every once in awhile :)

• Members

To be honest, I'm not sure where I was going with that dumbass analogy
:facepalm:
Was talking to 2 different people while I was writing that...It makes no sense. Let's move on shall we?
:lol:

Well, while the Chiefs have acquired some valuable players, the Steelers have been up to some moves of their own. They re-signed William Gay (you may recall him running behind wide receivers with the ball in the Super Bowl) and Gregg Warren, the long snapper.

#7 is coming to town!

:facepalm::cry:

• Members

Well, while the Chiefs have acquired some valuable players, the Steelers have been up to some moves of their own. They re-signed William Gay (you may recall him running behind wide receivers with the ball in the Super Bowl) and Gregg Warren, the long snapper.

#7 is coming to town!

:facepalm::cry:

:lol: Awesome! :lol:

The fan base is actually pretty upset with how quiet we've been during Free Agency with how much cap room is available.

My theory is this...Pioli is about to drop some serious cash on our free agents that are in house. Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr and possibly Dwayne Bowe...All 4 of them deserve a nice paycheck. What I THINK Pioli may do, is front load ALL of those contracts, so the guys get their pay day, the Chiefs reach the cap this year (even though they don't have to until 2013, and then as those contracts move forward, we free up cap space by front loading those contracts. Pioli is a smart man, and he front loads most contracts he signs (Matt Cassel, Jamaal Charles, Derrick Johnson).

If this is, indeed, the route he takes, I am perfectly ok with that. That will enable us to make a run at Fitzgerald next year, possibly in place of Dwayne Bowe. Fitzgerald wants to play for Haley again, all the fans want Fitzgerald, and you KNOW Matt Cassel and Todd Haley would love to have that guy on our team.

So while I'm actually a little disappointed in the lack of big moves we've made, I can see Pioli having a completely different approach. Since Pioli has gotten here, he's made it clear that he isn't building this team to win for 1 year (Philly?), he wants to build a team that will compete year after year, and by doing it this way, that's exactly what he's doing. Develop the players you have in house, and bring in free agents who will bring competition to key positions. By doing that, you end up with quality depth that keeps talented players fresh at any time.

• Members

Awesome!

The fan base is actually pretty upset with how quiet we've been during Free Agency with how much cap room is available.

My theory is this...Pioli is about to drop some serious cash on our free agents that are in house. Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr and possibly Dwayne Bowe...All 4 of them deserve a nice paycheck. What I THINK Pioli may do, is front load ALL of those contracts, so the guys get their pay day, the Chiefs reach the cap this year (even though they don't have to until 2013, and then as those contracts move forward, we free up cap space by front loading those contracts. Pioli is a smart man, and he front loads most contracts he signs (Matt Cassel, Jamaal Charles, Derrick Johnson).

If this is, indeed, the route he takes, I am perfectly ok with that. That will enable us to make a run at Fitzgerald next year, possibly in place of Dwayne Bowe. Fitzgerald wants to play for Haley again, all the fans want Fitzgerald, and you KNOW Matt Cassel and Todd Haley would love to have that guy on our team.

So while I'm actually a little disappointed in the lack of big moves we've made, I can see Pioli having a completely different approach. Since Pioli has gotten here, he's made it clear that he isn't building this team to win for 1 year (Philly?), he wants to build a team that will compete year after year, and by doing it this way, that's exactly what he's doing. Develop the players you have in house, and bring in free agents who will bring competition to key positions. By doing that, you end up with quality depth that keeps talented players fresh at any time.

It would make sense to extend all of those players to make use of the cap. It would also give them more flexibility as other contracts come up; definitely a smart move if they do it.

I think Fitzgerald's contract will be interesting. Arizona could shape up this year and he might want to stay. If they continue to blow completely, I'm sure Kansas City would be a much more attractive destination.

• Members

It would make sense to extend all of those players to make use of the cap. It would also give them more flexibility as other contracts come up; definitely a smart move if they do it.

I think Fitzgerald's contract will be interesting. Arizona could shape up this year and he might want to stay. If they continue to blow completely, I'm sure Kansas City would be a much more attractive destination.

The ones that absolutely must be extended/re-signed are: Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers, and Brandon Carr. There is no debating this, and the fans will be extremely upset if even one of these 3 walk. Carr and Flowers are a fantastic duo...Carr has really stepped up the past couple of years. I think if he wasn't sharing a field with Flowers, he'd be a lot more popular around the league. As it is, he's overlooked because of Flowers....not a bad thing.

Dwayne Bowe...I'd love to keep him if he has another good year. He came into camp in ridiculously good shape, and it seems he's kept up with where he left off last season. His problem since he got drafted was commitment. I think that could be gone now, as he just seems hungry. I'd be thrilled to keep him if he keeps the team attitude, instead of the "D-Bowe show" that he came to town with.

Fitzgerald is probably a pipe dream. But if the Cardinals don't lock him up, one of the easiest landing places I see for him is KC...and probably would be the favorite for him.

• Members

Well, we've made some possibly smart if not flashy moves on O line, LB, and defense. I recant my ire over the Crowder cut, as we've actually upgraded (Burnett), and I'm happy as hell to see JT back. Is he the every down speed demon he was when he started as DE, no, but he's a damn good pass rusher still and more important a leader.

Still, we are placing our season on Chad Henne and a rookie back. I don't see the fantasy of Bush as an every down back lasting past the third game, and hopefully they'll get it out of their system earlier than that.

They could have signed Bradshaw, that would've been a lot closer to what we need in the back field than Bush.

As far as Henne goes, before last year I held out hope, but he just has nothing but fast balls in his bag, and sometimes you need a curve or a slider.

• Members

I'm the biggest Eagles fan there is, but I agree with this 100%. As much as I'm enjoying this FA signing period, it may not mean squat come the postseason.

• Members

Well, the Chiefs got LeRon McClain. I dig this signing. If we can convince him to lay some blocks for JC this year as a FB, and split carries with Thomas Jones to prove he can take over for him next year, then this will work out well. Jamaal Charles hasn't had a lead blocker since he's been in the league. It could get dangerous with someone leading the way for him. So anxious to see this play out.

Archived