OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of my favorite Jags memories involves the Chiefs, watching Tony Boselli dominate Derrick Thomas.

Damn I wish Boselli's career hadn't been cut so short by injury, dude was such a {censored}ing beast!

Yeah he was. I always thought it was funny how he put on a shirt and pads two sizes to small to look bigger though. It made him look like he should be playing on the "special" team, and by "special" I don't mean kick/punt and FG.

Anyway, as far as his status as a player, he was one of the best ever without a doubt. It's a shame that he didn't have the longevity of a Bruce Matthews or Bruce Smith.

• Members

One of my favorite Jags memories involves the Chiefs, watching Tony Boselli dominate Derrick Thomas.

Damn I wish Boselli's career hadn't been cut so short by injury, dude was such a {censored}ing beast!

And I wish Derrick's wouldn't have ended early due to dying :( So sad. Derrick Thomas was one of the best to play the game. Of course he had off days, but when he was in arrowhead, his game was taken to another level. Watching him in pursuit of John Elway play after play is something I'll never forget.

John Elway said something when Von Miller wanted to wear number 58 (and he wants to mimic his game to that of DT), "Just don't come up behind me..." John knows how scary it was to play DT :)

Derrick Thomas was a dominate linebacker. Him and Neil Smith were easily one of the best duos to take the field.

• Members

This is good to know. Thanks for posting. As a steelers guy, I know you had run into him in the past. I think we'll put up a good fight too. Just a ridiculously tough schedule this year...One of the roughest in the league.

I definitely saw him crush Hartwig and Mahan frequently. :lol:

• Members

And I wish Derrick's wouldn't have ended early due to dying
:(
So sad. Derrick Thomas was one of the best to play the game. Of course he had off days, but when he was in arrowhead, his game was taken to another level. Watching him in pursuit of John Elway play after play is something I'll never forget.

John Elway said something when Von Miller wanted to wear number 58 (and he wants to mimic his game to that of DT), "Just don't come up behind me..." John knows how scary it was to play DT
:)

Derrick Thomas was a dominate linebacker. Him and Neil Smith were easily one of the best duos to take the field.

This. Derrick was a monster. I always liked the Chiefs, especially their defense, and it was a watershed moment for Boselli to have such a good game against such a legendary player. Derrick had a lot more left in him, too. It really was a shock hearing of his death, I was bummed. :(

• Members

I will say it's awesome how much fans of other teams respect the Chiefs. That's always been interesting to me. I grew up around the city so I've always been a fan, but hearing people who root for other teams but still respect the Chiefs happens more often than not. Not sure why that is...Lamar Hunt maybe? I don't know. Just cool.

• Members

And the talk of Offensive Line? This is one of the best o-lines ever put on a football field

chiefs_583_2_forreal.jpg

Will Shields, John Tate, Brian Waters, Willie Roaf (got snubbed this year in HOF), and Casey Weigmann...damn, I think a running back without legs could have had success behind that line. Miss those days!

• Members

Wait, a team that could not protect the QB, and they are going to let Kreutz walk? Are they going to use a folding metal chair instead?

They signed Chris Spencer, ex-Seahawk. They're idiots. Kreutz was on the downside of his career, yes. However, he was still a solid player, and VASTLY more important, the leader of the fledgling Oline. He was a vocal presence in the clubhouse and by all accounts the team's leader as well.

Maybe Spencer will come in and step right in and kick ass, but honestly, you're going to let a 13 year vet walk over 500k? Really? After last year giving Chester Taylor and a giant fat turd of a blocking tight end 13 million combined, you're going to let your starting center walk over a half mil.

This.... GAH! :mad:

*Has not been 100% finalized that Kreutz will not sign. Just 99% finalized.

• Members
He wore the smaller pads to give guys he was going against less leverage. Ironically, that also likely led to the shoulder problems that cut his career short. He was easily a first-ballot HOF'er if he just could've made a few more seasons. Anthony Munoz called him the best offensive tackle he'd ever seen. Tony really got me into paying more attention to and realizing the full importance of O-line play. Watching him humiliate guys like Bruce Smith & Jason Taylor just never got old! Plus, he was had a true mean streak at that position, and he actually gave a {censored}, something that our O-line has sorely lacked since its heyday with Tony, Widell & Searcy.

Tony's
still
the best player we've ever had.

This. Derrick was a monster. I always liked the Chiefs, especially their defense, and it was a watershed moment for Boselli to have such a good game against such a legendary player. Derrick had a lot more left in him, too. It really was a shock hearing of his death, I was bummed.

Yeah, that incarnation of the team was one of the most physical teams in the league at that time.

You had a dominant O line, mean defense, one of the best power backs in the league, and Keenan Mccardell. No wonder Brunell looked so good, with that team I could've went 9-7.

• Members
This. Derrick was a monster. I always liked the Chiefs, especially their defense, and it was a watershed moment for Boselli to have such a good game against such a legendary player. Derrick had a lot more left in him, too. It really was a shock hearing of his death, I was bummed.

He really was a beast. There were certain times when he could be stopped, and I'm sure you're speaking of one of those times...But more often than not, if he had the attitude, you wouldn't stop him with a brick wall.

He really did have a LOT left in him...Probably 3 or 4 more years at least.

I was fortunate enough to meet Derrick Thomas about 4 or 5 times as a kid. He was very involved with the military around here, and often was a speaker at events for Richards Gebaur Air Force base in Kansas City...My dad was a Chief Master Sergeant out there and was on a first name basis with DT, so I got to meet him and talk with him over dinner a couple of times. Got a signed rookie card or two of his stored away.

I actually cried when he died. Like, it was very emotional for me. He was an idol for me from age 6 when he got drafted. The whole town was affected by it though, unfortunately.

• Members

They signed Chris Spencer, ex-Seahawk. They're idiots. Kreutz was on the downside of his career, yes. However, he was still a solid player, and VASTLY more important, the leader of the fledgling Oline. He was a vocal presence in the clubhouse and by all accounts the team's leader as well.

Maybe Spencer will come in and step right in and kick ass, but honestly, you're going to let a 13 year vet walk over 500k? Really? After last year giving Chester Taylor and a giant fat turd of a blocking tight end 13 million combined, you're going to let your starting center walk over a half mil.

This.... GAH!
:mad:

*Has not been 100% finalized that Kreutz will not sign. Just 99% finalized.

I know how you feel. The Steelers cut Max Starks and Flozell Adams and resigned Willie Colon (very meh player) and Jonathan "Swinging Gate" Scott. The o-line looked like it was finally on the rise, and now I am not the least bit optimistic. Jared Gaither was available, but the team made sure they didn't go after an impact signing. :facepalm:

We can be {censored}ty o-line brothers, Ovid9.

• Members
I will say it's awesome how much fans of other teams respect the Chiefs. That's always been interesting to me. I grew up around the city so I've always been a fan, but hearing people who root for other teams but still respect the Chiefs happens more often than not. Not sure why that is...Lamar Hunt maybe? I don't know. Just cool.

Lamar Hunt, Hank Stram, they were one of the first AFC teams to really dominate (along with my 'Phins and the Jets), and they were always a franchise that conducted themselves with class. Can't say enough good things about the Chiefs. :thu:

• Members

Lamar Hunt, Hank Stram, they were one of the first AFC teams to really dominate (along with my 'Phins and the Jets), and they were always a franchise that conducted themselves with class. Can't say enough good things about the Chiefs.
:thu:

That's awesome. Good stuff man. I've heard the classy thing from lots of different fans of different teams too. Along with the Chiefs fanbase being pretty classy as well. And I can see that, unless you're a rival in our division. Things get heated with those teams, but we still respect the talent on their rosters...

I so wish I was alive for the Hank Stram era Chiefs. You have no idea. They had a ton of talent on that team, and it's just sad that I wasnt even born to witness it. Lamar Hunt was a visionary for sure. He did so much for the modern day game that a lot of people take for granted.

I was also proud of Clark Hunt in the negotiations for the new CBA as he was fighting to keep the revenue sharing in tact. Mainly to give each team a fair slice of the pie, to keep the league competitive. The contrast to this is very apparent when you look at MLB and the NBA. The big dogs walk away with all the top players, because they can pay them whatever they want with no recourse. Clark knows his dad fought to keep the league competitive for all teams.

• Members

I know how you feel. The Steelers cut Max Starks and Flozell Adams and resigned Willie Colon (very meh player) and Jonathan "Swinging Gate" Scott. The o-line looked like it was finally on the rise, and now I am not the least bit optimistic. Jared Gaither was available, but the team made sure they didn't go after an impact signing.
:facepalm:

We can be {censored}ty o-line brothers, Ovid9.

Yeah..this...well, thankfully the season isn't here yet. I can still hope for the best until the first time a guy misses an assignment because Kreutz wasn't there to point it out to him, or Cutler gets flattened as the wrong O-line call was made. :facepalm:

Over a half mil. If it'd be a couple million, or even 1.5 million difference, ok, he's an aging player, but a half mil which still was going to put him 1.5 million less than he made last year. :facepalm::mad::cry:

• Members

Yeah..this...well, thankfully the season isn't here yet. I can still hope for the best until the first time a guy misses an assignment because Kreutz wasn't there to point it out to him, or Cutler gets flattened as the wrong O-line call was made.

Over a half mil. If it'd be a couple million, or even 1.5 million difference, ok, he's an aging player, but a half mil which still was going to put him 1.5 million less than he made last year.
:facepalm::mad::cry:

I have to remind you Cutler spent a lot of time on his ass last year anyway. Some of the time was due to Martz's scheme but more times than not Cutler snapped the ball dropped back and got dropped all within 3-4 seconds. That O-lne wasnt worth a damn last year with Kreutz. Not that I think they have any possibility of being better without him, just pointing out the facts.

You can count on a long season though it appears. Youll probably get to the point I did with Carolina - who I have erased from my fan club now due to the signing of Cam Newton :mad: I quit watching them play last year. The O-line wasnt worth a damn and when dumbass Claussen did have time, he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn! Claussen never impressed me at Notre Dame. So its not like I thought he really would do anything to begin with. I was really pissed at them last year for drafting Tony Pike and never letting him play even when Claussen clearly could not do anything. No big deal now though. Ive given up on them and given all my Carolina {censored} away. Done with them. :lol: Hope Cam gets his clock cleaned the first game when he thinks hes going to go skating down the field against NFL linebackers. :lol: Cant wait to see that. :thu:

• Members

I have to remind you Cutler spent a lot of time on his ass last year anyway. Some of the time was due to Martz's scheme but more times than not Cutler snapped the ball dropped back and got dropped all within 3-4 seconds. That O-lne wasnt worth a damn last year
with
Kreutz. Not that I think they have
any possibility
of being better without him, just pointing out the facts.

Oh yeah, the O-line kept getting him massacred last year. :mad: Was it always their fault? No. Was it often their fault? Yes. Did they get better? Marginally.

We'll have to see. I personally can't see how bringing in a new guy in a shortened training camp can possibly be a good thing, but well, I can hope for the best. Right? :facepalm:

• Members

Oh yeah, the O-line kept getting him massacred last year.
:mad:
Was it always their fault? No. Was it often their fault? Yes. Did they get better? Marginally.

We'll have to see. I personally can't see how bringing in a new guy in a shortened training camp can possibly be a good thing, but well, I can hope for the best. Right?

:lol: Sorry man. I feel ya, I really do. Youre better off chalking this up as a learning process.

Prediction: Martz doesnt make it half the season before they can him. (Then they'll be in another offensive scheme with no coordinator. :facepalm:)

• Members
:lol:
Sorry man. I feel ya, I really do. Youre better off chalking this up as a learning process.

Prediction: Martz doesnt make it half the season before they can him. (Then they'll be in another offensive scheme with no coordinator.
)

I don't know. They seem to be buying into the Martz philosophy, though I can't think of one Chicago team that was worth a {censored} without a mean ass TE. Martz philosophy on tight-ends is essentially, cool another blocker so I can get my receivers farther down field. :facepalm:

• Members

I don't know. They seem to be buying into the Martz philosophy, though I can't think of one Chicago team that was worth a {censored} without a mean ass TE. Martz philosophy on tight-ends is essentially, cool another blocker so I can get my receivers farther down field.

Reminds ya of Steve Spurrier eh? :lol:

They better pick up Boss before he gets gone then!

• Members

I don't know. They seem to be buying into the Martz philosophy, though I can't think of one Chicago team that was worth a {censored} without a mean ass TE. Martz philosophy on tight-ends is essentially, cool another blocker so I can get my receivers farther down field.

Martz has brought "the greatest show on turf" to the slowest field in the NFL. Oh, yeah, we don't have any Pro-bowl caliber receivers either.

BUT we did pick up 3 guys who were cowboys last year. And the cowboys were good. Wait, what's that? They weren't? :cry:

• Members
BUT we did pick up 3 guys who were cowboys last year. And the cowboys were good. Wait, what's that? They weren't?
:cry:

:lol:

As a Niners fan it's in my DNA to hate the Cowboys, but I always had a soft spot for the Bears. Call me crazy but I think Roy Williams might work out for you guys - kinda like his "last chance for romance"; I don't think he'll blow it.

Archived