OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't get to pay close attention to the entire game yesterday (crappy live feed), but I saw some good and a good bit of bad.

First, Leftwich's arm was disappointing. Broken in four places. Should have known something bad was going to happen when he rolled out of the pocket, though. Needs more Kraft Singles and milk, I guess.

The secondary picked up where they left off in the Super Bowl. I know they were all backups, but I cannot understand playing off the receiver 20+ yards. Great practice, though. I don't think the Falcons tried to run in the first half of the game. I am hoping that the injury to Keenan Lewis isn't significant. He has had an excellent camp and has performed moderately well in the preseason and I would hate to see him go down with an ACL or something. Butler looked decent; he had a gimmie pick when the receiver fell, but overall I thought he was decent in the secondary. Hope he gets reps in the dime package this season.

The o-line looked {censored}ty. Pouncey tweaked his ankle again, but he supposedly wasn't hurt bad. It scares me though, because he is the bulk of the talent on that line. Gilbert didn't do anything to impress me, but he's a rookie so that's to be expected. Good experience for him. Hills and Willie the Colon held their own. LG is still a huge concern. Fatboy Kemoeatu is always hurt and doesn't play well even when he is in and there isn't anyone else on the roster to play guard. Hopefully Kugler can get these guys into shape.

Ben looked decent. He missed on a couple passes, but hit on two big passes to the star of the night, Antonio Brown.

Speaking of Brown, I think this kid is the real deal. He looked good in the post season last year, but is really doing the best he can with his opportunities in this preseason. Wallace is the #1 guy at this point and it seems like he is consistently drawing double coverage. That gives Brown a chance to exploit single coverage with his speed. Once Sanders gets back from his foot injury, this receiving corps should be stacked with young talent. Add Ward and Cotchery to the mix in the slot, and I am pretty confident in the passing game. Just need the o-line to hold their own and stop getting hurt.

• Members

Well, Week 1 is finally here and it is Ravens Week, always a tough battle and excellent show. After last season and the preseason, there are some key match ups I am interested in:

Ravens o-line against the Steelers front seven: The Ravens played some musical chairs along the offensive line this preseason and still have some concerns. Oher has been moved to RT where he should be more successful, McKinnie was acquired from the Vikings and will be thrust into the lineup as the starting LT and there may still be concerns about Birk's health. Steeler linebacker James Harrison is still recovering from off season back surgery, so look for him to be spelled by second year player Jason Worilds. The Steelers defensive line is back with Keisel, Hampton and Smith, but I would not be surprised to see some hybrid or 4-3 fronts incorporating Ziggy Hood and last year's first round pick, Cam Heyward. It will be very interesting to see how this battle in the trenches goes and how Flacco works with his o-line's new look.

Ravens passing game against the Steelers secondary: The biggest question mark for the Steelers this year has been the secondary. After being torched by Rodgers in the Super Bowl, the Steelers have to prove themselves. While Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor are consistent, everyone else in the secondary can be a concern. Flacco looked solid in the preseason and could be blossoming as a passer (maybe the coaching staff will give him more freedom). Boldin is still a tough possession guy and the recently acquired Lee Evans could be the answer to Mike Wallace. With Ray Rice's ability to turn dump off passes in the flat into big plays, the Ravens could be very dangerous on offense, translating to some manhandling of the Steelers center field.

Steelers passing game against the Ravens secondary: This preseason, second year receiver Antonio Brown emerged as a speedy receiving threat. On a team that already has speedster Mike Wallace and possession guy Hines Ward, Brown is just another threat. Let's not forget the other second year receiver Manny Sanders. Supposedly a big part of the offensive game plan in the Super Bowl, Sanders went down with a broken foot and did not return to the lineup until the final preseason game where he made some nice plays demonstrating his ability to run after the catch. While he is not Santonio Holmes, he may be used like him in the intermediate passing game. The Steelers also acquired veteran receiver Jerricho Cotchery and while he may not be a starter, he will be able to spell other receivers this year. The Ravens appear to have a healthy Ed Reed and a new corner in Jimmy Smith. It will be interesting to see how these two units match up against one another; if Wallace will be double covered and how well the wideouts can get open against a stingy Baltimore defense.

While this match up has always been a meeting of defensive juggernauts, I could see a shift to more of an offensive battle. Both defenses are aging while both offenses are bringing in some talent. Rather than the usual 13 to 10 slug fests, we could see a 23 to 20 outcome; a high scoring game for an otherwise low scoring series.

• Members

What the {censored} happened to the Jags' O-line since last year? What looked to be a developing strength is now a huge weakness. Eben Britton has been hurt with a back injury all throughout preseason and is a question mark to start the year, and for some {censored}ing reason, Maurice Williams thought it would be a good idea to drop a bunch of weight and come into camp at 285 lbs at the other tackle spot and has been getting pushed around like a bitch the entire preseason, and Will Rackley has been just as bad at guard next to him. :facepalm:

What IS interesting is the Jags promoting Luke McCown to the #2 QB slot and moving Gabbert back to 3rd string. The real reason behind this is because Garrard, admittedly behind what's been a porous offensive line, has been fantastically underwhelming in the preseason, while Gabbert is clearly the QB of the future, but is just too raw and unready to take the job away from him. Luke McCown was rumored to be close to taking the starting job from Garrard last year before he was hurt, and when this season starts next weekend, look for Garrard to be on the shortest leash in the league, and if he continues to struggle, look for Del Rio, desperate to save his job (which he SHOULD have lost LAST year), will pull him sooner rather than later and promote Gabbert to the #2 slot, at which point, we've likely seen the last of David Garrard on the field as a Jaguar.

What's not helping is the inexplicable fact that the Jags, with the exception of stud TE Marcedes Lewis, had the worst starting WR corps in the league last year, let one of their starters in Sims-Walker go to the Rams, and for some reason decided they didn't need to make a run at any of the premier WR free-agents like Sidney Rice before the season. They drafted rookie Cecil Shorts, who's nice, but inconsistent and has shared the other Jags' wideouts unfortunate proclivity for dropping passes so far in the preseason. The Jags are still going to struggle in the passing game with Lewis being their only real consistent receiving threat, giving opposing defenses the option of loading up the box to stop their only other real weapon, MJD.

The defense already looks MUCH improved against the run with the additions at linebacker and safety, and while Kampman only played in a couple of series in the preseason at DE, ONE sack in the preseason ain't cuttin' it. The secondary remains a serious concern if they can't generate better and more consistent pressure once the games count.

All in all, I'm sadly having to revise my earlier guarded optimism downward, and see the Jags at 5-11 to 7-9 at best this season. The good news is that, unless owner Wayne Weaver is {censored}ing STUPID, this will FINALLY spell the end of the Jack Del Rio/Gene Smith regime, something Jags fans have been longing for for a few years now, and the real reason why they're having problems moving those last 10,000 tickets.

• Members

What the {censored} happened to the Jags' O-line since last year? What looked to be a developing strength is now a huge weakness. Eben Britton has been hurt with a back injury all throughout preseason and is a question mark to start the year, and for some {censored}ing reason, Maurice Williams thought it would be a good idea to drop a bunch of weight and come into camp at 285 lbs at the other tackle spot and has been getting pushed around like a bitch the entire preseason, and Will Rackley has been just as bad at guard next to him.
:facepalm:

What IS interesting is the Jags promoting Luke McCown to the #2 QB slot and moving Gabbert back to 3rd string. The real reason behind this is because Garrard, admittedly behind what's been a porous offensive line, has been fantastically underwhelming in the preseason, while Gabbert is clearly the QB of the future, but is just too raw and unready to take the job away from him. Luke McCown was rumored to be close to taking the starting job from Garrard last year before he was hurt, and when this season starts next weekend, look for Garrard to be on the shortest leash in the league, and if he continues to struggle, look for Del Rio, desperate to save his job (which he SHOULD have lost LAST year), will pull him sooner rather than later and promote Gabbert to the #2 slot, at which point, we've likely seen the last of David Garrard on the field as a Jaguar.

What's not helping is the inexplicable fact that the Jags, with the exception of stud TE Marcedes Lewis, had the worst starting WR corps in the league last year, let one of their starters in Sims-Walker go to the Rams, and for some reason decided they didn't need to make a run at any of the premier WR free-agents like Sidney Rice before the season. They drafted rookie Cecil Shorts, who's nice, but inconsistent and has shared the other Jags' wideouts unfortunate proclivity for dropping passes so far in the preseason. The Jags are still going to struggle in the passing game with Lewis being their only real consistent receiving threat, giving opposing defenses the option of loading up the box to stop their only other real weapon, MJD.

The defense already looks MUCH improved against the run with the additions at linebacker and safety, and while Kampman only played in a couple of series in the preseason at DE, ONE sack in the preseason ain't cuttin' it. The secondary remains a serious concern if they can't generate better and more consistent pressure once the games count.

All in all, I'm sadly having to revise my earlier guarded optimism downward, and see the Jags at 5-11 to 7-9 at best this season. The good news is that, unless owner Wayne Weaver is {censored}ing STUPID, this will FINALLY spell the end of the Jack Del Rio/Gene Smith regime, something Jags fans have been longing for for a few years now, and the real reason why they're having problems moving those last 10,000 tickets.

Garrard is a guy who has left me scratching my head. He went from playing at a decent level to being mediocre in a flash. The year the Jags beat the Steelers in the playoffs, the dude gave the defense fits: If he didn't connect on a pass, he would just scramble for a first down. One of those incredibly frustrating QBs. Do you think it is the o-line's decline that has had an effect upon his play?

• Members

Garrard is a guy who has left me scratching my head. He went from playing at a decent level to being mediocre in a flash. The year the Jags beat the Steelers in the playoffs, the dude gave the defense fits: If he didn't connect on a pass, he would just scramble for a first down. One of those incredibly frustrating QBs. Do you think it is the o-line's decline that has had an effect upon his play?

It hasn't helped, but really, even that year, his decision-making was erratic at times, but I think mostly that was just a fluke of a season, unfortunately. I really WANTED Garrard to be the guy, too. He's a total class-act and team-player, but he holds the ball too long, has a frustrating penchant for overthrowing the deep ball and has even regressed with his decisions when to just tuck it and run and not take a senseless sack. He's got all the physical tools, just not the mental ones. I think he'll end up being a GREAT backup for another team one day, but ultimately, I think that's all he really is, a very good backup.

• Members

Well, Browns vs. Cinci, and Pitt vs. Baltimore...so as long as the Browns don't screw the pooch, we should be tied for 1st after week one.
:lol:

This should be a cool week to see how the AFCN starts out of the gate. I am interested in seeing how the Browns perform this season with the new offense. By the way, your Browns and my Steelers don't even have to bother playing games this season. According to my friend who is a Ravens fan, they have all but won the AFCN by acquiring Lee Evans and McKinnie. lolwut

• Members

I can't wait for Thursday.

And wifey is going to be gone this weekend so all Sunday I can be planted guilt-free on the couch doing nothing useful except watching football and screaming as Bear's receivers run wrong routes and drop passes.

• Members

I can't wait for Thursday.

And wifey is going to be gone this weekend so all Sunday I can be planted guilt-free on the couch doing nothing useful except watching football and screaming as Bear's receivers run wrong routes and drop passes.

Funny, that's exactly what I plan on doing watching the Jags WRs do the exact same thing on Sunday. :facepalm:

• Members

I figure if I start out pessimistic, I can only be pleasantly surprised if something different happens, right?

Yep!

Just looked at my fantasy matchups this week. Uhhhhhhhh.

Romo vs. Jets

Mendenhall vs. Ravens

Steven Jackson vs. Eagles

Great week for 3 of my starters :facepalm: May have to play Kolb and Lynch earlier than expected.

Archived