OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Members

Well the chargers signed bob sanders to a one year deal. Pretty inexpensive hit, but why I wonder, what has bob sanders got to offer san diego?

He offers them a filled IR spot by week 5? :idk:

The dude is a stud with the durability of fine glassware.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Blahblahblah, pr>cassell

Anyhow, back to sanders. I think the dude could contribute, but he is 30 and is injury prone. Let's be honest, 30 is getting up there in football years and the age cannot be helping his ability to remain healthy. I hope he hangs in there and performs, but I definitely don't see him as long term material.

• Members

Blahblahblah, pr>cassell

Anyhow, back to sanders. I think the dude could contribute, but he is 30 and is injury prone. Let's be honest, 30 is getting up there in football years and the age cannot be helping his ability to remain healthy. I hope he hangs in there and performs, but I definitely don't see him as long term material.

No one has ever said Phyllis wasn't a good quarterback. He's a stud. Problem is, he's the biggest baby in football. And it's hilarious because Chargers fans will defend his actions till they're blue in the face :lol: I can't wait for Tamba Hali to roll over him this year, and have him cry about Arrowhead being too loud again.

hahahahahaha

Also, I think he'd have at least 1 ring if he was playing somewhere where the owner wasn't a complete idiot. The dude is getting screwed in san diego. :cry:

• Members

San diego blows dick at figuring out how to win where it counts. I think norv turner is not the greatest head coach around either but ehh.

The thing about philip is that people greatly over exaggerate his "cry baby" attitude. He gets mad, he gets pissed, he gets pissy, he {censored} talks, he complains... I guess what I am saying is he doesn't only complain, he just has a big mouth. Luckily he performs well, works hard, and has no off field trouble so I have absolutely zero problem with him. Plus, we have seen the likes of cryin ryan leaf in sd so... yeah :lol:

• Members

Good signing. I thought they were going to let him get away, and I was going to be happy. I actually hoped KC would look at him. Solid receiver.

Lots of injuries already all over the league. The lockout is going to bite everyone in the ass. Sure you can train in the off season, but it's not the same as having your trainers and coaches making sure your doing things the right way.

Gonna be a scary season I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had posted this as a new thread, but at KCTigerChief's request moved the discussion to this thread.

Just like the title says. How is your team performing relative to your off-season expectations.

So far the 'Phins have not assuaged my concerns.

The first team looked like {censored} against the Falcons. Now it was the first Pre-Season game and Marshall and Bush both sat out the game, but Henne picked up right where he was at the end of last season.

They looked good against Carolina, but come on, everybody looks good against Carolina, they're like the new Lions.

There were two positives, Bush showed his potential in creating coverage problems for the defense when coming out of the back field as a receiver, and it appears that Henne might actually be able to put a soft touch on his passes instead of all fastballs all the time.

On the negative side, our corners still appear to be afraid of the ball. :facepalm:

Also, the Steelers look ready to go back to the Superbowl already, the way the first team manhandled the Eagles was just :love:.

I'm thinking the Washington game was a fluke considering the way they looked against Vick and Co.

• Members
San diego blows dick at figuring out how to win where it counts. I think norv turner is not the greatest head coach around either but ehh.

The thing about philip is that people greatly over exaggerate his "cry baby" attitude. He gets mad, he gets pissed, he gets pissy, he {censored} talks, he complains... I guess what I am saying is he doesn't only complain, he just has a big mouth. Luckily he performs well, works hard, and has no off field trouble so I have absolutely zero problem with him. Plus, we have seen the likes of cryin ryan leaf in sd so... yeah
:lol:

Yeah, if Rivers was in New England they'd call him the second coming.

• Members

Nice evaluation NakedArab :thu: And you didn't HAVE to move it here, I think it just keeps everything together a little bit better :)

That said, my Chiefs...oh my Chiefs... :lol: First of all, Todd Haley has been focused on conditioning moreso than much else. This last week is the first full week of hitting we've had in camp. I understand his thought process for the most part. "Camp Haley" is no joke...His conditioning last year showed on the field late in the season when other teams were wearing out late in games, with their hands on their hips, the Chiefs didn't look drained one bit. Granted they got outplayed several times, but they were conditioned for the long haul. Missing that conditioning this offseason left a lot of "huffers and puffers" when camp started this year. So he focused on getting the team in shape.

That said, last week against Tampa Bay, we went into that game with 0 game plan and weren't playing 6 of our starting defenders. Tamba Bay came out with a game plan and stuck to it. We had 1 full padded practice before that game. The score was understandable. To the average fan it would look like we just got our asses beat, but really our 2nd team was in after 2 series', and TB left their starters in most of the 1st quarter. We used that game to evaluate talent and see where people were at conditioning wise.

This week against Baltimore we looked much much better. Our starters played the 1st quarter and a little bit of the 2nd. And they looked very very good. Our defense looked fantastic. Going in 10-10 at half time was nice to see. Baltimore scored their touchdown against our 2nd team defense, nothing to be upset about. Baltimore also left their starters into the 3rd quarter...By the end of the game, their 2nd string was playing our 3rd string...and it showed as they scored 28 points in the last quarter. No big deal though, we got what we wanted, and that was to see how our starters were going to play.

Noteworthy:

Kelly Gregg is a massive NT that looks like a bowling ball when he's in his stance. He pushes DOUBLE TEAMS backwards and collapses the pocket by himself. That's pretty impressive for a 35 year old man.

Justin Houston is going to be a good player. He has a very bright football mind, able to read plays before they develop and react to shut the play down. This is impressive to see from a rookie who missed a week of camp. He is also very good at what we drafted him for...rushing the passer. If he is able to work his way up the depth chart to start, QBs will not be happy having to deal with Tamba Hali on one side, and Justin Houston on the other.

Our secondary is still very good. Eric Berry is still a freak of nature. Brandon Flowers will shut you down if you don't shed him off you. Brandon Carr is still an underrated CB.

Our biggest weakness right now will be our offensive line. We'll see how that holds up.

Also, Jonathan Baldwin and Thomas Jones getting into a fight in the locker room was not a welcome story this week. No idea what happened, and we'll probably never find out unless one of the players says what happened...but there is one thing you do not do as a rookie...you do NOT mess with a man that is built like a greek god:

Thomas-Jones.jpg

And if you do? You're gonna end up breaking your hand...and miss the rest of preseason :facepalm:

• Members

My Raiders have done nothing but let players go (again). Goodbye Gallery and Asomugha. Gallery was a bust so I'm not too worried about him, but Asomugha effectively took away 1/3 of the field, which means the defense will have to work now. Zach Miller left but they signed Kevin Boss so hopefully they can stay solid at tight end. Jason Campbell just went down and Gradkowski left which means Kyle Boller and Trent Edwards get to battle it out for QB for a few weeks.

They drafted on the OK side, but generally new coach+lost players=season of fail. Plus the offensive line is horrible, so I'd imagine McFadden, Bush, or another QB will get injured before too long.

• Members

So far, the preseason has been interesting. I've been keeping a spreadsheet with players trying to predict the roster cuts. Football nerd. :o

Last week's game against Philadelphia was refreshing after looking so flat and vanilla against the Redskins.

QB: I thought Roethlisberger looked sharp. At the beginning of the first series, he missed two passes that should have connected; however, he seemed to shake off the rust, finishing after his second series 8/12 for two touchdowns. Leftwich looked like Leftwich: Some good and some bad. With the offensive line, his "wind up" passing style is somewhat dangerous for his health, but he did connect on some nice passes. Dixon was alright; I didn't see anything special from him, but there was nothing that looked awful in his play, either.

WR: Limas Sweed got cut this past week which was unfortunate. Looking at the guy on paper, you would think that he would be an excellent receiver: Speed, strength and size galore. Unfortunately, he couldn't catch anything, not even a break. With poor performance in his first year, an IR season last year and a separated shoulder this year in camp, it wasn't surprised that the former second rounder was cut. I wish him the best and hope he finds and home with a team (outside of the conference, hopefully!). I was happy to see Antonio Brown with another solid preseason game. With Sanders out, he is really capitalizing on his opportunities. New acquisition Jerricho Cotchery looked good; two nice snags and a touchdown.

O-Line: After the offensive line's offensive performance in game one, they really turned it around. Pouncey and Colon looked stable. Tony Hills, a long time project, looks like he may have finally found a place on the line at RG. He came into camp 15 pounds heavier this season (330) with a drastically reduced BF% of 13%; really sounds like he wants to start and there's definitely a need. He looked like he was doing very well in between Pouncey and Colon and I was pleased with his performance, overall. Jonathan Scott was knocked out of the game with a hyperextension to the knee on the first play and was replaced my rookie second round tackle Marcus Gilbert. I thought Gilbert looked decent, but had some misses as well, being called for a hold on one down. Unfortunately, he too was sidelined with a knee injury and Hills kicked over to LT where he didn't impress me. Ramon Foster gave a bull{censored} late hit to a Philly player which was completely uncalled for during his mediocre night.

D-Line: Surprise, surprise, Aaron Smith was out with swelling on the knee. I thought the defensive line looked solid. Ziggy Hood is looking good and I am liking these plays where he lines up at NT. With Woodley's size and Hampton's age (I doubt the team resigns him), I could see a front with Woodley - Heyward - Hood - Keisel - Harrison being a possibility in the near future.

Secondary: Much improved after being lit up by Rex Grossman only a week earlier. Clark and Polamalu came up with interceptions as did Keenan Lewis, a player in serious need of quality plays to keep his spot alive. I would say that my favorite player of the game could have been #30 Donovan Warren. A very instinctive player (Steelers fans remember Anthony Smith?) with a specialty in man-to-man, I was surprised by his play in Lebeau's zone schemes. He was regularly around the ball and made some nice hits. Not a starter, but I would like to see him along with Ryan Mundy as the primary backups at the safety positions.

Overall, it was a good night, but still only a preseason game against an Eagles team that wasn't opening up the playbook or featuring all its starters. I am really looking forward to evaluating the team some more when they play the Falcons this week. That should be an interesting third week match up that will test both offenses and defenses.

• Members

Another team I am curious about is the Colts. I know they don't do much in the preseason, but the backup QBs look very poor.

Watching the game right now, and I would have to agree.

The Redskins on the other hand are rolling so far this Pre-Season, which I am having a hard time believing is something that will continue into the regular season.

• Members

Texans here :wave:

Offense as usual not the problem. Schaub looked good and connected with AJ on some great passes. Gotta make sure we get everyone else in though to spread em out and have threats every where. Think Owen Daniels can help with that. Arian foster looked great as well. Picking em some good yardage. Ben Tate :eek: he had some great runs as well. Glad to see him in there now. Hopefully he can keep it going in the reg season.

Now the defense looks better but we can only go up:facepalm: getting good pressure on the QB but not good on stopping the run. Both jets and saints ran it well on us. Seems we're to focused on getting pressure and not playing the play that the opponent called. Just hope wade Phillips can get us where we need to be to compete. Luckily only have a few great QBs on schedule (manningx2, brees, roethlisberger, flacco). Haven't seen enough on Daniel manning or johnathan Joseph to make a conclusion on those acquisitions.

:wave:

• Members

Browns here. We may have lost to the Lions, but really our 3rd stringers lost, so who cares?

Colt McCoy has been one of the best QB's so far this preseason. And he's throwing to garbage receivers.

Colt McCoy: 19/28, 68% comp, 231 yards, 0 INT's, 4 TD's, 131.2 QB rating.

Interested to see how he does against the Eagles this week.

• Members
Browns here. We may have lost to the Lions, but really our 3rd stringers lost, so who cares?

Colt McCoy has been one of the best QB's so far this preseason. And he's throwing to garbage receivers.

Colt McCoy: 19/28, 68% comp, 231 yards, 0 INT's, 4 TD's, 131.2 QB rating.

Interested to see how he does against the Eagles this week.

I'm hoping you guys win. :thu:

• Members

Watching the game right now, and I would have to agree.

The Redskins on the other hand are rolling so far this Pre-Season, which I am having a hard time believing is something that will continue into the regular season.

Never ever doubt the Redskins ability to fail. No matter how good they may look, they will find a way to lose when the games matter.

• Members

Texans here

Offense as usual not the problem. Schaub looked good and connected with AJ on some great passes. Gotta make sure we get everyone else in though to spread em out and have threats every where. Think Owen Daniels can help with that. Arian foster looked great as well. Picking em some good yardage. Ben Tate
:eek:
he had some great runs as well. Glad to see him in there now. Hopefully he can keep it going in the reg season.

Now the defense looks better but we can only go up:facepalm: getting good pressure on the QB but not good on stopping the run. Both jets and saints ran it well on us. Seems we're to focused on getting pressure and not playing the play that the opponent called. Just hope wade Phillips can get us where we need to be to compete. Luckily only have a few great QBs on schedule (manningx2, brees, roethlisberger, flacco). Haven't seen enough on Daniel manning or johnathan Joseph to make a conclusion on those acquisitions.

With the offense that the Texans have, I don't think defense is a huge concern. The defense just has to hold its own; it doesn't have to be a top five unit to make the team dangerous. The problem was that the secondary was very weak and teams could stick with the offense. It looks like the defense is improving under Phillips and the secondary is improved; it will take some time for them to become cohesive, though. My biggest concern after the first preseason game was the play of Mario Williams. He looked out of place more often than not and sometimes it is hard for the big boys to make that transition to OLB (i.e. Aaron Kampman). Did he look like he improved in the second game? If so, he could be dangerous.

Archived