OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Members

Green Bay Packers fan here and I have high hopes for a Superbowl repeat this season. Our starters are all healthy and rested and we've got sick depth at so many positions that I can't see the team getting anything but better. I'm smelling home field advantage throughout the playoffs... :fingers-crossed:

I wouldn't get too cocky if I were a Packers fan. Your team won the super bowl because they got hot at the right time, not because their talent and coaching was so much superior to everyone else. Don't forget, but for two horrendous calls against the Vikings in the Metrodome meeting last year (one a clearly dropped 3rd down pass called TD for GB, another a clearly caught TD for the Vikings called an incompletion), the Packers wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Mind you, I'm not saying that the Packers are going to stink this year. Just that winning two SBs in a row is insanely difficult. Only once has a team won it as a wild card and come back to win it the next year (the Broncos, who were a 12-4 wild card in 1997). Also, only once has a 10-6 team won it all and come back to do so next year (the 1988 49ers, who came went 14-2 the next year). So, while it's possible, the odds are better that they will fall short.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't get too cocky if I were a Packers fan. Your team won the super bowl because they got hot at the right time, not because their talent and coaching was so much superior to everyone else. Don't forget, but for two horrendous calls against the Vikings in the Metrodome meeting last year (one a clearly dropped 3rd down pass called TD for GB, another a clearly caught TD for the Vikings called an incompletion), the Packers wouldn't have even made the playoffs. Having your starters back is helpful.

Mind you, I'm not saying that the Packers are going to stink this year. But winning two SBs in a row is insanely difficult, and only once has a team won it as a wild card and come back to win it the next year (the Broncos, who were a 12-4 wild card in 1997). Also, only once has a 10-6 team won it all and come back to do so next year (the 1988 49ers, who came went 14-2 the next year). So, while it's possible, the odds are better that they will fall short.

I can guarantee Packers fans that they are more likely to reach the SB than my Steelers, though. Steeler Super Bowl berth = miss the playoffs next year. :cry:

• Members

I wouldn't get too cocky if I were a Packers fan. Your team won the super bowl because they got hot at the right time, not because their talent and coaching was so much superior to everyone else. Don't forget, but for two horrendous calls against the Vikings in the Metrodome meeting last year (one a clearly dropped 3rd down pass called TD for GB, another a clearly caught TD for the Vikings called an incompletion), the Packers wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Mind you, I'm not saying that the Packers are going to stink this year. Just that winning two SBs in a row is insanely difficult. Only once has a team won it as a wild card and come back to win it the next year (the Broncos, who were a 12-4 wild card in 1997). Also, only once has a 10-6 team won it all and come back to do so next year (the 1988 49ers, who came went 14-2 the next year). So, while it's possible, the odds are better that they will fall short.

Didn't mean to come off as cocky, I'm just incredibly psyched for the coming season. The way I see it is GB "got hot" with 7 (or was it 8, i forget) starters on IR and had to win on the road in the playoffs - and then they went and won the whole damn shootin' match!! What are they going to do with healthy starters and a deep & talented roster to fall back on. I know they could have a meltdown on the first play of the first preseason game and lose Rodgers for the season, anything can happen, but I've got my fingers crossed man!

• Members

Ugh I don't get the weddle signing either
:(

How does that leave the Chargers in terms of cap space? I really don't understand why they agreed to such a huge contract; I'm sure they could have got him cheaper. :idk:

• Members

Pfffftt. MOST teams win the SB because the get hot at the right time....they won four games on the road to get in the big game - to dismiss their coaching is ridiculous. They overcame adversity (losing Ryan Grant the first game of the season, Nick Barnett, Jermichael Finley also suffered season ending injuries just to name a few....that's a lotta work on the coaches part) to get to the win

• Members

I am not sure where the chargers land in terms of cap space after this deal (and signing takeo spikes, jeromy clary, and bob sanders.) I just don't understand how weddle could get this lucrative of a contract. He has been a solid and consistent player, but he is not a game changer in my eyes. To make him the highest paid safety ever doesn't seem like the soundest strategy on a good (not great imo) player.

aaahhhh chargers. Maybe he will prove me wrong.

• Members

Pfffftt. MOST teams win the SB because the get hot at the right time....they won four games on the road to get in the big game - to dismiss their coaching is ridiculous. They overcame adversity (losing Ryan Grant the first game of the season, Nick Barnett, Jermichael Finley also suffered season ending injuries just to name a few....that's a lotta work on the coaches part) to get to the win

Two points:

1) Most Super Bowl winners have been the dominant team of the season. They don't just get hot and win it all - they are hot all year. There are obviously exceptions, such as last year, but by and large the last team standing was one of the best two or three teams that year.

2) I wasn't dismissing the coaching. My point wasn't that McCarthy isn't a good coach, but that all of the best teams have good coaches, and McCarthy wasn't significantly better than any of the top team's coaches.

• Members

The way I see it is GB "got hot" with 7 (or was it 8, i forget) starters on IR and had to win on the road in the playoffs - and then they went and won the whole damn shootin' match!! What are they going to do with healthy starters and a deep & talented roster to fall back on.

Why didn't they start hot if the starters are better than the backups?

We all know chemistry is one of the key components of success in the NFL. The danger the Packers face is that the players that come back from the IR weren't part of that magic. Throw in the fact that the lockout has killed the off-season, and I think it's going to be harder to keep that magic than most Packer fans around here would care to admit.

• Members

Why didn't they start hot if the starters are better than the backups?

We all know chemistry is one of the key components of success in the NFL. The danger the Packers face is that the players that come back from the IR weren't part of that magic. Throw in the fact that the lockout has killed the off-season, and I think it's going to be harder to keep that magic than most Packer fans around here would care to admit.

I think Packers fans have good reason to be optimistic. Statistically, yeah, it is highly improbable that any team repeats, but right now, the Packers are just as likely as anyone to get it. They beat everyone they faced in the playoffs and brought home the Lombardi trophy (I hate you guys :lol: ), and I don't think anyone can take that away from them.

:idk:

• Members

I think Packers fans have good reason to be optimistic. Statistically, yeah, it is highly improbable that any team repeats, but right now, the Packers are just as likely as anyone to get it. They beat everyone they faced in the playoffs and brought home the Lombardi trophy (I hate you guys
:lol:
), and I don't think anyone can take that away from them.

:idk:

Agreed. Not trying to diminish what they did, just pointing out the unlikelihood of them doing it two years in a row.

• Members
GO LIONS!!!!!!!!

they looked better last year but still mostly
:facepalm:
i grew up and live in michigan, i cant start rooting for another team. at least they have a sweet D line now, but still recovering from the complete and utter disaster/failure/abortion known as the millan years, aka drafting a {censored}ing WR every goddamn year and running a nfl team so far into the gutter it takes years to be a slightly competitive nfl team.

I'm with you. I'm glad millen got fired from the NFL network his ass doesn't belong anywhere near a football field. But anyways I'm totally pumped for the season. our D line is going to destroy any QB that happens to get in the way. I personally can't wait to see Cutler get his ass smoked a few times. Plus with the Lions having given Rodgers a concussion last year and forcing the Redskins to BENCH McNabb for Rex Grossman last year because he was too old and out of shape to run the two minute offense against our D I would say the Lions should be in pretty good shape this year. My best guess is 10-6 and in the wild card hunt. Not sure if they make the playoffs this year but we'll see. They just have to cut {censored}tard Jeff Backus and get a decent left tackle to protect the Barbie doll that is known as Matt Stafford. If his ass can stay healthy then all us true Lions fans will finally have something to cheer about again. I'm assuming that the bandwagon will be pretty full this season with fair weather fans.:soapbox::thu:

• Members

Lots of talk of Steve Breaston to my chiefs. I'd be very happy with that. Breast on had his best season under Todd Haley.

I'm still wanting some news of Aubrayo Franklin in talks with KC. With those two pieces, our team improves a great deal. Since we lost Ron Edwards today, we have to be signing a solid NT.

• Members

I'm with you. I'm glad millen got fired from the NFL network his ass doesn't belong anywhere near a football field. But anyways I'm totally pumped for the season. our D line is going to destroy any QB that happens to get in the way. I personally can't wait to see Cutler get his ass smoked a few times. Plus with the Lions having given Rodgers a concussion last year and forcing the Redskins to BENCH McNabb for Rex Grossman last year because he was too old and out of shape to run the two minute offense against our D I would say the Lions should be in pretty good shape this year. My best guess is 10-6 and in the wild card hunt. Not sure if they make the playoffs this year but we'll see. They just have to cut {censored}tard Jeff Backus and get a decent left tackle to protect the Barbie doll that is known as Matt Stafford. If his ass can stay healthy then all us true Lions fans will finally have something to cheer about again. I'm assuming that the bandwagon will be pretty full this season with fair weather fans.:soapbox:
:thu:

Lions are going to be scary real soon. Will be nice to see them out of the basement of thE NFL :thu:

• Members

Chiefs just signed Breaston to a 5 year 9.5mil guaranteed deal...Excuse me if I gloat a bit, but that is an amazing deal for the Chiefs. They got a legitimate #2 receiver and barely broke into the cap at all. This still leaves them a ridiculous amount of space to sign a top tier free agent in Aubrayo Franklin, AND work out Tamba Hali's contract (which will be massive), Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers (a very underrated CB duo, btw) and Dwayne Bowe...Wow.

The Chiefs are most certainly headed in a very VERY good direction since Pioli got here.

• Members

Chiefs just signed Breaston to a 5 year 9.5mil guaranteed deal...Excuse me if I gloat a bit, but that is an amazing deal for the Chiefs. They got a legitimate #2 receiver and barely broke into the cap at all. This still leaves them a ridiculous amount of space to sign a top tier free agent in Aubrayo Franklin, AND work out Tamba Hali's contract (which will be massive), Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers (a very underrated CB duo, btw) and Dwayne Bowe...Wow.

The Chiefs are most certainly headed in a very VERY good direction since Pioli got here.

Chiefs still need a better QB though - Cassell {censored} himself in the playoffs (the week before too). They're also need another decent RB to keep Jamaal Charles fresh (Thomas Jones is starting to show some wear), but I agree - KC is a team to watch. They had a great 1st round pick in Baldwin, but I don't think Cassel has what it takes to make them a true contender just yet.

• Members

Chiefs still need a better QB though - Cassell {censored} himself in the playoffs (the week before too). They're also need another decent RB to keep Jamaal Charles fresh (Thomas Jones is starting to show some wear), but I agree - KC is a team to watch. They had a great 1st round pick in Baldwin, but I don't think Cassel has what it takes to make them a true contender just yet.

Cassel had an exceptional season last year. Yes he had some down games, but the guy has plenty of heart and is the hardest worker on the team.

You have to remember that this will basically be his 4th year EVER as a starting quarterback. He is still learning. He's getting better every year. I do agree we could probably get by with a better qb, but honestly, I want to give cassel a chance. When you have a guy who plays with the heart he does and busts his tail off despite constant criticism, and then to have him sneak into the Pro Bowl last year and STILL take flak, it's impressive to see him maintain his composure and just want to continue getting better.

• Members

Lions are going to be scary real soon. Will be nice to see them out of the basement of thE NFL
:thu:

If their QB can stay healthy enough. Once the Lions figure out how to protect the QB, they will be dangerous.

• Members

Cassel had an exceptional season last year. Yes he had some down games, but the guy has plenty of heart and is the hardest worker on the team.

You have to remember that this will basically be his 4th year EVER as a starting quarterback. He is still learning. He's getting better every year. I do agree we could probably get by with a better qb, but honestly, I want to give cassel a chance. When you have a guy who plays with the heart he does and busts his tail off despite constant criticism, and then to have him sneak into the Pro Bowl last year and STILL take flak, it's impressive to see him maintain his composure and just want to continue getting better.

I'm new to KC and I can't wait for that MNF game against SD on Halloween. I'm looking forward to Tamba taking it to Rivers all night long....

• Members

Well the Vikings let Sidney Rice go to the Seahawks so that's pretty much our season unless we can pick up someone like Plaxico or maybe Braylon Edwards.

Why would Rice want to play for the Seahawks? Surely he heard that their new QB is Tavaris Jackson?!

Archived