OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Members

Eagles fan here. Our offense is fine, save for maybe one piece on the O-line. We need a backup QB because of the way Vick plays, and it looks like Kolb will be shipped outta here. I'm hoping he'll go to Arizona in trade for Cromartie for cornerback, which we need.

The Defense is where we need serious work. Even if we get another good corner opposite Assante Samuel, we still need help at both safety positions, or at least one of them. Then, there is the other side of the D-line, opposite Trent Cole. Cole is a great end, but without serious pressure from the other side, teams can key on that side of the line and make him less effective.

I'm looking forward to a great season.

I think that trade (Kolb and DRC) would make sense for both teams. That will be interesting to see, and I hope it pans out. I'm not a Cardinals fan, but I would like to see them be competitive, so that whenever I get free tickets to games I don't have to watch a slaughter fest. :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So it looks like Seattle will be dropping out of the QB race with the acquisition of Tavaris Jackson. I personally don't think he is any sort of answer, but I guess Seattle sees some value in him. :idk:

It also sounds like Washington is in talks with Minnesota about trading McNabb. That move makes a lot of sense to me. Although the Vikings drafted Christian Ponder, I doubt he is NFL ready at this point, especially without a proper off season. A veteran QB like McNabb could get them some wins and help Ponder with his development. I don't consider McNabb to be a great QB prospect at this point of his career, but he would definitely fit in Minnesota. It would be interesting to see which players/picks the trade might take.

The Bengals are still holding strong on the Palmer front, it seems. As an AFC North fan, I am very interested to see how this pans out. The Bengals are undeniably in rebuilding mode, and I am somewhat surprised to see that they don't want to trade Palmer. If he does retire, they are screwed either way. If they could trade him, at least they would get something for him. That said, given his performance and injuries, I doubt he would fetch much. Perhaps it is worth the risk to attempt to call his bluff and retain him in hopes of him returning this season.

It also seems like there are some better known names are being/will be released around the league: Shaun O'Hara, Marion Barber, Roy Williams, Willis McGahee, Todd Heap and Derrick Mason, among others. By Saturday, I'm sure these guys won't be alone.

• Members

Chiefs were relatively quiet with UDFA today. We grabbed 7 or 8 guys, but some teams nabbed upwards of 20. The good thing is pioli said most of our moves would be giving money to the guys on our team already who have earned it.

I still think we'll be going after at least one top tier FA. There were some tweets saying people saw Sidney rice at Gates BBQ today. That would be a huge signing.

• Members

So it looks like Seattle will be dropping out of the QB race with the acquisition of Tavaris Jackson. I personally don't think he is any sort of answer, but I guess Seattle sees some value in him.
:idk:

It also sounds like Washington is in talks with Minnesota about trading McNabb. That move makes a lot of sense to me. Although the Vikings drafted Christian Ponder, I doubt he is NFL ready at this point, especially without a proper off season. A veteran QB like McNabb could get them some wins and help Ponder with his development. I don't consider McNabb to be a great QB prospect at this point of his career, but he would definitely fit in Minnesota. It would be interesting to see which players/picks the trade might take.

The Bengals are still holding strong on the Palmer front, it seems. As an AFC North fan, I am very interested to see how this pans out. The Bengals are undeniably in rebuilding mode, and I am somewhat surprised to see that they don't want to trade Palmer. If he does retire, they are screwed either way. If they could trade him, at least they would get something for him. That said, given his performance and injuries, I doubt he would fetch much. Perhaps it is worth the risk to attempt to call his bluff and retain him in hopes of him returning this season.

It also seems like there are some better known names are being/will be released around the league: Shaun O'Hara, Marion Barber, Roy Williams, Willis McGahee, Todd Heap and Derrick Mason, among others. By Saturday, I'm sure these guys won't be alone.

Seattle is also bringing Matt leinart in. Reuniting with his college coach. I think they are just trying to get Andrew luck next year :lol:

There are some very big names being cut this year. The lack of a salary cap last year and the institution of a lower salary cap this year has really {censored}ed a lot of teams who don't have an idea how to manage money. That leads to lots of solid players able to be signed.

Teams like the chiefs who HAVE to SPEND 34 million to meet the cap, are in a very advantageous situation.

God damn I'm so glad football is back and we can talk about moves and actual football news!

:rawk:

• Members

I'm a long-time Dolphins fan.
:facepalm::cry:

Can you imagine how much the clowns in their front office are going to screw up the compressed offseason? They can't get it right when they can sit and think about a decision. Plus I don't think they can move fast enough to handle the upcoming free for all.

Unfortunately, I couldn't agree with you more. :cry:

• Members

There are some very big names being cut this year. The lack of a salary cap last year and the institution of a lower salary cap this year has really {censored}ed a lot of teams who don't have an idea how to manage money. That leads to lots of solid players able to be signed.

Teams like the chiefs who HAVE to SPEND 34 million to meet the cap, are in a very advantageous situation.

God damn I'm so glad football is back and we can talk about moves and actual football news!

:rawk:

The Steelers are approximately $8 million over the cap (I am not sure if that is exact), but I expect several cuts that will not be of much concern to the team. I also imagine that there will be some restructuring/extensions. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron Smith retire given his injury history over the past several years. It is a shame, though, because they will need some space if they want to pursue a CB and wish to offer Woodley an extension.

• Members

Just heard that Jason La Canfora and Adam Schefter report that the Steelers tentatively resigned Ike Taylor to a four-year contract. While there are no reports on the monetary value of the contract, it sounds as if he was indeed willing to sign a conservative contract to stay in Pittsburgh; contradicting considering his earlier statements of not offering a "hometown discount." This is a big deal for Pittsburgh's suspect secondary, as Ike Taylor is, without a doubt, the best coverage player on the roster.

As a Steeler fan, I am now curious to see what else they do with the secondary. Bryant McFadden had a poor (but injury prone) year and William Gay looked awful on most packages not asking him to blitz. McFadden is still signed for one more year and Gay is a free agent. I am assuming the team will let Gay walk and hope that a young player, such as Crezdon Butler or Curtis Brown. I think Keenan Lewis is done in Pittsburgh, so the future is up to these two late round draft picks. I would love to see the Steelers pursue Jonathan Joseph (CB, Cincinnati), but I know that won't happen due to their cap room and the money that will be thrown at him. Another option would be Carlos Rodgers (CB, Washington) who would be an upgrade over McFadden who could be kicked in to the nickel. Again, the Steelers don't make much of a splash in free agency, so this is also doubtful.

I've also heard that reports of Robert Gallery (G, Oakland) and Tiki Barber (RB, Giants-retired) may also be pursued by the Steelers. I personally hate the idea of signing Barber. He was a good running back, but he has been out of the league for two years, which I don't like seeing for that position. I am also content with the current backfield. Despite Rashard Mendenhall's faults in the playoffs, he is a solid #1 running back, and former UDFA Isaac Redman is a likeable power back who has shown good ability in short yardage situations as well as situations in which he is asked to stay at home and block. The third running back position should be between Mewelde Moore and second-year player Jonathan Dwyer. Bringing in a player like Barber tells me that the team is going to give up on Dwyer, which I would hate to see, given his spot on the rotation.

As far as Gallery, I would love the signing. The Steelers have has a notoriously weak offensive line; however, the addition of Maurkice Pouncey proved to be fruitful and Flozell Adams playing on the right side (natural for a man deaf in his right ear) greatly enhance protection. The line is set to be Starks - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Colon/Foster/Gilbert - Adams/Colon/Gilbert, but I would love to see Gallery come in and take the RG position. I have never been impressed with Willie Colon at right tackle, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt if the Steelers could resign him to an affordable contract. Either way, I think the Steelers will only keep one out of the two when it comes to their veteran right tackles (Colon and Adams). Despite the fact that Gallery never lived up to expectations, he is a solid interior offensive lineman who could immediately improve the Pittsburgh line as a value signing in free agency. Again, this was only a report that I read, so it may not be legitimate.

Alright, rambling post was rambling, I'm done. :lol:

• Members

Well, looks like we got a good middle linebacker so far at least in Posluszny, {censored} do we need a corner, though. No shot at Asomugha, but we've got a TON of money to spend, so Cromartie, maybe? Grimes would definitely be an improvement, too.

I like Posluszny, but his injury history is definitely a concern. As far as cornerbacks go, I would think that Jonathan Joseph would be a better target than Cromartie. Asomugha is, without a doubt, THE corner on the market right now. I put Joseph behind him on the desirability scale. He is a highly capable cover corner who is young and has never been paired with much else in the secondary. While Cromartie is a good corner, I don't like the way the conducts himself off the field (yeah, Steeler fan, I know :facepalm: ).

• Members

What are your expectations for your team this year?

Green Bay Packers fan here and I have high hopes for a Superbowl repeat this season. Our starters are all healthy and rested and we've got sick depth at so many positions that I can't see the team getting anything but better. I'm smelling home field advantage throughout the playoffs... :fingers-crossed:

• Members

I like Posluszny, but his injury history is definitely a concern. As far as cornerbacks go, I would think that Jonathan Joseph would be a better target than Cromartie. Asomugha is, without a doubt, THE corner on the market right now. I put Joseph behind him on the desirability scale. He is a highly capable cover corner who is young and has never been paired with much else in the secondary. While Cromartie is a good corner, I don't like the way the conducts himself off the field (yeah, Steeler fan, I know
:facepalm:
).

I'll take ANYBODY right now, have you {censored}ing seen our secondary?! :lol::facepalm:

• Members

Not really a Vikes fan, but moreso than a Packers fan. :o

I'm lukewarm on the McNabb move - McNabb from 10 years ago was a monster, but this is a different player. We'll see.

The team as a whole, as they stand right now, are a 4-6 win team. That's it - they're old or undergunned in some key positions - the Williams wall is out for 4 games, Pat Williams is a 1st down only player, Jared Allen had a down year last year, they stand to lose Ray Edwards, their OL is old (and full of big guys who couldn't block their way into a buffet line), and Adrian Peterson looks more than human (have you EVER seen a running back with as much talent and as little patience as AP?).

For all of the Sidney Rice love out there, I'd be careful about getting too enthusiastic. He's really only had 1 good year, and that was a year that Favre literally played out of his mind for 3/4 of the season. Every other season, he's been underwhelming, injured, or both. He's not the kind of deep threat that some of the other top receivers in the NFL are, and I think he needs another weapon to be a dominant player (see Harvin, Percy).

• Members

I'm a Philly fan, but still a McNabb fan, so, I'm happy to see him go to at least a *decent* team. That division is tough, but I think you'll see a more accurate version of Don than you saw with that atrocity of a team from our nation's capital.

• Members

I'm a Philly fan, but still a McNabb fan, so, I'm happy to see him go to at least a *decent* team. That division is tough, but I think you'll see a more accurate version of Don than you saw with that atrocity of a team from our nation's capital.

Depends on whether or not the Vikings can retain Sydney Rice. Without him they don't have a real deep threat at WR and Donovan will be stuck throwing at Shiancoe and Harvin over and over again. That didn't work out too well in the past, without Rice.

• Members

I just read that the Chargers signed Eric Weddle to a 5-year/$40 million contract. I'll admit that I am not all that well informed when it comes to Weddle's abilities, but that contract seems a little rich to me. :idk:

Archived