OT: OFFICIAL 2011 NFL Season thread - Check in!

KCTigerChief

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lifelong Dallas fan here. They had the game under wraps, but Romo proved once again he's more than capable of finding ways to give W's away. I stopped watching after the first few games or so last seaon. I don't think I'll even make it to a few this time.
:facepalm:

I'll give Romo a bit of credit. He's made some good plays and had some good games. However, he hasn't shown he can be a quality QB week in and week out yet Jerry J seems to keep thinking he can. :idk:

At least the announcers aren't trying to force feed me how great he is anymore. That got nauseating a couple years ago.

• Members
I'll give Romo a bit of credit. He's made some good plays and had some good games. However, he hasn't shown he can be a quality QB week in and week out yet Jerry J seems to keep thinking he can.
:idk:

At least the announcers aren't trying to force feed me how great he is anymore. That got nauseating a couple years ago.

Agreed. I think Romo would make a very good backup QB. Sadly, even though he's the best QB Dallas has had since Aikman, the dropoff from Aikman to Romo IMO is at least as much as from Romo to those other guys. :D

• Members

Lifelong Dallas fan here. They had the game under wraps, but Romo proved once again he's more than capable of finding ways of giving W's away. I stopped watching after the first few games or so last seaon. I don't think I'll even make it to a few this time.

The guy just doesn't care, he was probably thrilled when he got hurt last year that's how much it looks like he doesn't even want to be playing. The guy just doesn't have any heart from what I've seen.

• Members

My Niners won, though they didn't look very good in doing so - other than Ginn; I was "WTF is Seattle even doing punting it to us, down by 9 with three minutes left?" They gave us that win.

Whatever; I don't care if they 2-14, just beat the {censored}ing Seahawks.

• Members

Don't you guys get me started :mad:

Being in Houston and Dallas being "Americas team" everyone is on Tony homos cock all the time. Been saying for years he's overrated immensely. No problem with the team just hate seeing them praise him when he hasn't done {censored} for them since being there.

• Members

Homer Simpson on the Steelers yesterday:

ARITnC80VhE

On a serious note, I have to hand it to the Ravens coaching staff and players for coming out ready to impose their will on a team. What you saw there was a team that was coached up and that had the drive to win. Games are won in the trenches and both the offensive and defensive lines looked like they were out to prove Woodley, Clark and the talking heads wrong. Excellent job by Harbaugh and crew developing a gameplan and coaching their guys up, especially the new aquisitions.

Now as for the Steelers: Something I have been afraid of for quite a while has seemingly begun to take its toll, that is stubbornness. Stubbornness when it comes to roster changes; stubbornness when it comes to play calling and gameplanning. While the offense sucked harder than a Kirby vaccuum, I think that will improve. What scares me to death is the defense. The secondary was trounced in the Super Bowl, but I don't blame them for yeserday's debacle. I blame the defensive line and the linebackers.

During the game, I saw exactly what a 34 defense cannot do: Linemen being blown off the ball and taken out by single linemen. Outside linebackers being pushed outside by tackles. Inside linebackers blowing coverage and not calling the right defenses. Casey Hampton (NT) looks like he is finally finished. It's one thing when you see a NT being taken out by a young, powerful center a time or two per game. Instead, Hampton was being dominated by Birk; a dominant, but aging center with offseason back surgery. The same went for Aaron Smith (LDE). The once dominant five technique end appeared to be weak, being wrapped up by the guard time and time again. A 34 defense needs the defensive line to occupy blocks and close gaps in order to stuff the run and free up linebackers, so whenever they are being negated by three offensive linemen, the linebackers are stuck in a tight spot.

Speaking of linebackers, they looked like a completely different crew. Woodley continued trying his bullrush style, but got very little pressure on Flacco and made the team's only sack late in garbage time. Harrison is noticeably not himself and needed to be spelled by second year player Jason Worilds who has been mediocre thus far. The middle linebackers scare me to death. Timmons made some plays, but also pulled his fair share of boners as well. James Farrior is apparently done as a starter. According to Mike Tomlin, Farrior cannot handle the heat during games and they need to spell him with youngster Larry Foote. I believe both of these guys were rookies whenever Kennedy was assassinated, so they are splitting time between two aging MLBs that are past due.

Here's the scary part: The team apparently saw the need to begin splitting time between these guys in the first preseason game. That makes me ask why Lawrence Timmons was not given signal calling duties this preseason; he is the future of the linebacking corps and the team did not address this issue.

Just a little blurb on the secondary: Ike Taylor looked solid in coverage and while McFadden was burned on an early TD, it was good coverage against an excellent pass. If he covers that well all season, he won't be the reason why the team loses games. Ryan Clark looks like he is picking up with his "tough" play of the last few years: No talent in coverage, no big hits and missed tackles. I sure am glad that Donovan Warren, a guy who looked much better than Clark in the preseason, was cut.

This is the stubbornness I referred to earlier: The team is clinging onto old players based on past performance. Hampton and Smith both appear to be finished and neither will return next season.

Farrior looks like he is about as strong and as fast as I am and for all of Ryan Clark's bravado, you would think he would at least not suck more than a pre-op tranny hanging out in a West Hollywood ally. None of the aforementioned players have made consistently good plays for the last few years, yet they are automatically given starting jobs because Dick Lebeau's defense "is difficult to understand and requires years to master." Well, the Patriots and Packers mastered it last year and the Ravens seemed to master it this year. Why not put the two recent first round picks Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward out on the defensive line? They can't possibly be worse. Oh, but they lack experience. Just like Tony Hills did on the offensive line. Good thing Legursky was handed the starting job.

Wait. How did the offensive line perform? Well, Doug Legursky apparently has a lot of experience being tooled, because that's what happened all day. A dynamo in the gym and a superb backup does not a starter make. The knock against him is his height and the Ravens tipping passes thrown over him really made that apparent. Supposedly, he can call out defenses like a champ, though. Shame he got tooled in run blocking and pass blocking, though. Good thing they got rid of Hills. I also liked that Jonathan "Swinging Gate" Scott picked up where he left off last season. I always wanted to play football and I am pretty sure I could play somewhere on the offensive line for the Steelers, because if Scott has a job, I sure as hell could perform just as well. The tackle's job is to push the OLB around the edge to create a pocket. Scott is pressed backwards and lets the rusher come through inside. All I can think of when I see him playing is the dad in Step Brothers screaming, "FAILURE." By about week four, I am fully expecting rookie Marcus Gilbert to be starting at LT, otherwise I am going to fly to the 'burgh, run out on the field and hit Scott in the knee to take him off the field.

I know this is a lot of bitching about a team that just went to the Super Bowl, but the play of the offensive and defensive lines have been concerns for years now and it is frustrating whenever even the most casual of fans can see needs that are never addressed. While the team is willing to invest high draft picks into these positions, they never let them see the field unless they are guys like Pouncey. Hood might become a starter next year, Heyward will probably start by 2015 and knowing the Steelers with o-linemen, Gilbert will bounce around at LT and G for a few years then get cut. Same {censored}, different season, but it looks like some of these vets don't have enough in the tank at this point and don't deserve to be full time starters. Hopefully the coaching staff gets out of the rut and starts coaching the team and putting talent on the field sooner than later. The good thing about a blowout loss is that the coaches can see all of the holes on the team right now and judge players accordingly.

• Members

Steelers are getting old. I've said all along that Tomlin is a {censored}ty coach. As soon as they start losing the players Bill put in place, they'll be a sub-500 team. They made it to the superbowl last year...yes. But look at the gameplan, style, and roster...and tell me how it's different from Cower....

• Members

Steelers are getting old. I've said all along that Tomlin is a {censored}ty coach. As soon as they start losing the players Bill put in place, they'll be a sub-500 team. They made it to the superbowl last year...yes. But look at the gameplan, style, and roster...and tell me how it's different from Cower....

Not going to argue; I agree. Tomlin inherited a team and has continued to keep old players over young talent. I guess they'll "unleash hell" and have a tough practice or two this week. I do think that this shows that Bruce "I'm retarded" Arians needs to hit the road as OC. He calls the same exact plays every season, every week and every drive. The stock market diving after Obama speaks is less predictable than Bruce Arians' play calling.

Time for the lolololololol part: Willie The Colon hurt his arm and will probably be out for an extended period of time. Achilles tear and on the IR last season, now a triceps injury this year. Really happy they resigned that tub of lard to a 5 year/$29 million contract. Must have hurt himself on a false start or while he was holding someone.

• Members

Bears win. Sweet.

Romo good most of the game, but I get boned in fantasy because my opponent has the Jets D. Fuuuuu.

Tonight should be interesting games. Unfortunately, my only concern is if I should play Ochocinco or Bess

I wish I was playing this week. I'd easily have a 120 pt game...assuming Brady and Welker have average games tonight.

• Members

I think the Vikings are a lot closer to winning the Andrew Luck sweepstakes than any other team I watched yesterday. There is no more inept offense in the NFL. The defense looks nearly as bad...especially the secondary which is just plain horrible.

I thought the defense looked more than respectable considering the team they were playing - you're talking about an elite-level QB with very good receivers. Yeah, they broke down late in the game, but the offense didn't do enough to win the game. This is a passing league, and they managed all but nothing through the air.

I don't think they're Carolina/Seattle bad, but they're probably a 5-11 team. Maybe less since the Lions seem to be maturing at a much more rapid pace than anyone expected them too. The offensive line is trouble right now, not that that is any different from the past few years - they haven't drafted a Hutch replacement, Loadholt looks more like a roadcone than a tackle, and the rest of the players are hardly starting caliber.

What happened with Buffalo though? Holy carp - hanging 41 on a team on the road? Wow.....Fitzpatrick looked awfully good.

Archived