Fender Clean and Classic Marshall Crunch in one amp?

S J B

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are tons of amps that will claim to do that. You really need to test out a few of them and see what you like. No amp will be exactly like these 2 amps but the whole Fender clean/Marshall crunch is very common. On the lower end you can get something like a Carvin X100B, on the higher end a Bogner Shiva would be great. The Peavey Classic series also does this quite well. There are just too many amps to mention.

Came in here to mention the X100B. If size was not an issue - not to mention silly carpet covering - I'd own one.

• Members

"Fender" clean tone comes from 6l6's, Marshall crunch tone comes from EL-34's
:wave:

Really? It is true, that a lot of classic Marshall tone came from the power tubes and to get it they had to be turned up, but that is also true of Fender's Blackfaces and Twins. The Blackfaces did not need to be turned up quite as loud as they were lower power. But Marshall gain sounds most often come from the preamp as does the Fender clean. The Fender just offers more clean headroom. It really has little to do with the power tubes, they may sound different but it is not clean or crunch. The new Marshall JVM for example has EL34s but has a preamp and tone stack modeled on the Fender Blackface and produces cleans very similar to that of the Fender.

• Members

The 100B probably isn't the answer, only because the clean channel is much more Twin Reverb-esque....it does a great TR, but that's not what the OP wants. Same with many of the Riveras I've tried.

The power tubes are a red herring. They difference they make is negligible after a point. I could build a Super Reverb with EL34's and no one would know the difference unless I told them...the voice comes from the preamp design and the behavior form the PI and power amp design. And Marshall went years in the '90's without using a single EL34 (they didn't have a supplier after RFT closed its doors).

But that power amp and phase-inverter design do matter, and they are relatively different. And ultimately that's the problem, you can't get one power amp to work like the other, you'll have to comprise on one or both and since we are talking mostly non-master-volume tones, that just doesn't work. That's why it hasn't been done with any great success after decades of dual channel amps.

• Members

I find it doesn't really exist either. For me, it was what was more important... Which was the gain sound, which is why I like NMV Marshalls. But if clean was my priority, I'd probably just wind up a Super Reverb, hit it with a tubescreamer for gain, and turn it off and slightly roll back guitar volume for cleans.

That said the Marshall JVM has a surprisingly nice clean channel. The Bogner Shiva is a great suggestion too. I agree with the guys that said on a budget, the Peavey Classic and Carvin X100b are good choices.

• Members

I'd be interested in seeing what I could now get out of an older rivera, I actually like my rivera-era superchamp a lot. I've tried a few rivera combos back in the late 90s early 2000s but wasn't as good at dialing things then, so I don't doubt I could get them working better than I could then. But I have played a friends k-tre a bunch recently and agree that it does the fender side better than the marshall side IMO and that was more or less what I remembered from the combos I played years ago too.

[video=youtube;bQ-vTDar2q4]

[video=youtube;sbHEjhE0BYs]

For example this ^ sounds more or less like I remembered. The cleans sound a little like the poweramp is too tight for an accurate fender thing, and then the gains don't really sound marshall-ish IMO. Still good for sure, but dunno I'd say it quite delivers fender and marshall in a box, either. Just my .02.

• Members

The closest I've gotten to that ideal, and like EVERYONE else it's a combo I've looked for all my life, is the Divided by 13 FTR 37.

It even has reverb.

Not cheap though.

+1 GREAT {censored}ing amps. I would agree this is a good choice, but TBH the Marshall side of things still just didn't quite get the Marshall sizzle for me. It did sound VERY good though. Cleans were amazing on that amp.

• Members

For example this ^ sounds more or less like I remembered. The cleans sound a little like the poweramp is too tight for an accurate fender thing, and then the gains don't really sound marshall-ish IMO. Still good for sure, but dunno I'd say it quite delivers fender and marshall in a box, either. Just my .02.

Lots of Riveras mentioned here. It's too bad he didn't push the lead chan more

• Members

Bogner Goldfinger 45. Cleans are pretty clean but not like a twin. Think higher headroom Deluxe. Reveb is amazing.

Dirt ch is pure vintage Marshall crunch on Loud 69 and modded on 80 mode. Closest I've found for the fender clean/Marshall crunch thing. Great amp.

• Members

Bassmans get great crunch...with 6L6's...

And Hiwatts get great cleans...with EL34's...

:idk:

And thinking on it for a few hours. These are two amps which I feel get both the great cleans and great crunch...albeit incorporated into one single channel.

Get either of these...and a good volume pedal...and you're good to go.

Trainwreck clones are PERFECT for this sort of thing too.

I don't know of anything that gets both those tones separately in a two channel.

• Members

:lol:
I don't know why, but that was really funny.

Truth

Yes they do, but they seem to do better with the Fender thing, even though a lot of Riveras have EL-34's.

I'll tell you what though, the clean channel on my old Rivera Rake was a thing of beauty.

I agree. Got an M60 and R55. I don't know if something is wrong with the M60 but,

the distortion channel is hugely underwhelming. Really bad with single coils...passable with humbuckers. On the other hand, I love the clean channel and it takes pedals really well. Also really like the reverb although it's pushed by an opamp. More pull

knobs and switches than you can shake a stick at.

The R55 has a better distortion channel. Clean is pretty good, not as good as the M60. It's much lighter of the two. Good reverb here too.

• Members

shameless self promotion, but i'm just gonna leave this here:

[video=youtube;Y8MGqiHXuDE]

edit: more detail on the crunch channel..

[video=youtube;YLZdEnt6YrI]

hell, here's just the clean channel while i'm at it :facepalm:

[video=youtube;28hQ8c9L0aA]

Archived