Is Suicide Wrong, Is it the ultimate act of Selfishness?

Hardvalve

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Suicide, is it immoral, sin, selfish, is it "wrong". If so, then why, if not, then why.

Discuss.

Well, being that my father committed suicide while me and my brother were in the house and could hear the shot, I can tell you it {censored}ing devastates the families, friends, etc., for life. 22 years have passed, and it still affects me, and my brother is completely {censored}ed. So, yeah. Selfish.

• Members

People who do it are at the end of their rope (pardon the pun). As someone who has depression I think it's a totally valid option if you decide you really don't want to live anymore. I'd strongly recommend trying to fix the problems of your life but if you feel it's your final option, feel free to take it. You have to live your life, no one else..if you're tired of doing it, how does anyone else get to tell you to keep going through with it?

• Members

I don't know how giving up on everything - and I seriously mean everything - can be considered an act of selfishness? Many people committing suicide think that rest of the people, that including their family, are better off without them so it's more an act of altruism on their part. It may not make sense but when you are seriously depressed to the point of taking your life you're not really thinking and seeing things like sane people.

The worst assholes ever are people that kill themselves and leave their children alone.

No. The worst assholes kill their family too. Unfortunately too common in my country.

• Members

People who do it are at the end of their rope (pardon the pun). As someone who has depression I think it's a totally valid option if you decide you really don't want to live anymore. I'd strongly recommend trying to fix the problems of your life but if you feel it's your final option, feel free to take it. You have to live your life, no one else..if you're tired of doing it, how does anyone else get to tell you to keep going through with it?

Wow.

• Members

I don't know how giving up on everything - and I seriously mean
everything
- can be considered an act of selfishness? Many people committing suicide think rest, including their family, are better off without them so it's more an act of altruism.

Personally I think all things are done for selfish reasons, whether one chooses to admit it or not. Of course suicide is a selfish act..but I see nothing wrong with being selfish in many situations, this being one of them.

• Members

Personally I think all things are done for selfish reasons, whether one chooses to admit it or not. Of course suicide is a selfish act..but I see nothing wrong with being selfish in many situations, this being one of them.

Even if the act will {censored} with your family and friends for the rest of their lives?

• Members

Even if the act will {censored} with your family and friends for the rest of their lives?

So you're saying staying alive everyday even when you're absolutely suffering is fine? Your friends and family should understand that you did it as a way to stop your suffering. Death isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person..watching someone "spiritually" die is far worse.

• Members

I don't know how giving up on everything - and I seriously mean
everything
- can be considered an act of selfishness? Many people committing suicide think that rest of the people, that including their family, are better off without them so it's more an act of altruism on their part. It may not make sense but when you are seriously depressed to the point of taking your life you're not really thinking and seeing things like sane people.

No. The worst assholes kill their family too. Unfortunately too common in my country.

They may see it as an act of altruism, but in keeping with the cognitive distortions that are a feature of major depression, it is in fact only going to hurt the people the 'altruistic' act was supposed to benefit.

• Members

It's not as an easy issue as just abandoning your family by taking your life. For many reasons a person who commits a sucide may actually think his act is a better and more beneficial option for his family. For example, they do not wish that their family see them suffering from depression and related mental illnesses for rest of their lives, they have addictions that they can't shake off but that hurt other people, they are dragging their families to serious financial hole, etc. A sane person may see this stuff as obstacles that can be conquered, a depressed person doesn't view a worls that way and sees no hope at the end of the tunnel. They may think getting rid of him allows the family to find a new lovable person to replace him, who actually succeeds in life and is better for the family than what he ever was.

• Members

So you're saying staying alive everyday even when you're absolutely suffering is fine? Your friends and family should understand that you did it as a way to stop your suffering. Death isn't the worst thing that can happen to a person..watching someone "spiritually" die is far worse.

But in doing so, it's entirely possible you will cause other people to "spiritually" die. Of course, you'll be dead, so it won't make a difference to you. But it's still a seriously {censored}ty thing to do.

• Members

But in doing so, it's entirely possible you will cause other people to "spiritually" die. Of course, you'll be dead, so it won't make a difference to you. But it's still a seriously {censored}ty thing to do.

People die in life...it happens. Either you find a way to claw yourself out of your despair or you don't. Not everyone is built the same, and when dealing with serious mental/physical illnesses, telling someone to live just because you don't want to do without them is {censored}ty and inconsiderate. I totally get what you're saying, trust me. I'm saying that until a situation like that happens, sometimes you realize death isn't the worst thing possible..sometimes it seems like the only solution.

• Members

Well, being that my father committed suicide while me and my brother were in the house and could hear the shot, I can tell you it {censored}ing devastates the families, friends, etc., for life. 22 years have passed, and it still affects me, and my brother is completely {censored}ed. So, yeah. Selfish.

Simply losing my father to natural causes when I was 14 had completely affected my entire life as well as everyone else in my family. I can only imagine the situation you experienced and am very sorry to hear that, though my step brother shot himself with my father's gun when he was only 21 (I was 12 at the time), so I also know how suicide can utterly hurt a family and everyone else the person was close to. And that had also left a permanent impression on me.

But I don't believe everyone's situation is the same and won't say everyone who commits suicide has done something terrible or selfish. Some possible scenarios:

Those are just some of many possible scenarios, and each person and family member is unique. What is almost always the same is that people will be left behind in a devastated state of mind, and the situation is brutally permanent.

Something else to consider as well that I had to think about from the experience in my own family: Is it possible some left behind may be selfish in hating the person who made the decision to commit suicide? Again, I would probably feel a lot different about my family member if he would have had children to raise. He was having some mental issues, and it's impossible for me to know the level of torture he was experiencing. IMO, I would be an asshole for totally judging him whereas I would feel a bit less empathetic if he would've had children to raise and at least had a fair reasoning capacity.

• Members

I'd agree with the very first part, but not the rest of it. If you're still able to consider whether or not it's a valid option, you're not that deep in it yet. If someone kills themself after carefully weighing up the options and deciding, "Meh, CBF anymore. :idk:", then I'd say they're a selfish {censored}.

When you're so thoroughly {censored}ed in the head that you don't see it as an option, but basically just the only thing to do? Then I don't see how one could consider it selfish. If someone who was actually considered to be nuts, completely incapable of rational thinking, out of their {censored}ing mind, no grasp on reality whatsoever, went and killed themselves... you wouldn't go, "What a selfish prick," you'd go, "Well, he was {censored}ing nuts. Probably didn't even know what the {censored} he was doing." And anyone who has really suffered severe depression knows that there are times when you really are not thinking straight at all. It's not just a matter of being a bit sad, it can completely {censored} with your mind and make you think things you never normally would. When your brain has you convinced that not only would it not be selfish, but everyone would actually be much better off... ? :idk:

• Members

People die in life...it happens. Either you find a way to claw yourself out of your despair or you don't. Not everyone is built the same, and when dealing with serious mental/physical illnesses, telling someone to live just because you don't want to do without them is {censored}ty and inconsiderate. I totally get what you're saying, trust me. I'm saying that until a situation like that happens, sometimes you realize death isn't the worst thing possible..sometimes it seems like the only solution.

Agreed.

Archived