Is Suicide Wrong, Is it the ultimate act of Selfishness?

Hardvalve

• Members

Every decision a human makes in their lifetime is self serving. If you did someone else a favor purely out of the goodness of your heart it was really because you wanted the warm fuzzy feeling over whatever you could have been doing instead of helping. If you sacrifice yourself to save someone else its the same exact thing. Everything we think and do comes back to the pleasure principle.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every decision a human makes in their lifetime is self serving. If you did someone else a favor purely out of the goodness of your heart it was really because you wanted the warm fuzzy feeling over whatever you could have been doing instead of helping. If you sacrifice yourself to save someone else its the same exact thing. Everything we think and do comes back to the pleasure principle.

Jesse...ya know...I have to agree with you...but...

We simply MUST differentiate between a selfish act and an "unselfish" one. In other words...something that won't give anything BUT a "warm fuzzy feeling" (no money, no pats on the back, no expectations of fame) Even that isn't really any good because you can get that EASILY from a selfish act.

We should be wise enough to know the difference and not just lump it all under the same word.

How about a person that sacrifices their life for someone else? DO you think for one second THEY are gonna enjoy the fruits of their warm fuzzy feeling? The ensuing endorphins? LOL... Not as we know it.

So for God's sake...let's discern the difference...even if only in theory and sake of communication. Don't let Freud destroy one of the greatest gifts Human Beings can give.

I understand it's a difficult concept for us to compute, given Freud's powerful message. Especially HCAF- we thrive on attention and acceptance (check Izzy's sig). But that's not always everyone's motivation. Sometimes, for some people, "doing the right thing" is so built in, so ingrained, they don't even think about warm fuzzys. It's just what needs done.

Believe it or not. Doesn't matter to me.

• Members

I don't believe in selflessness.

Why do I believe you? I do!..because a lot of humans believe the same thing. It's part of our problems.

Some people can actually do things with ZERO reward..even costs them. Sometimes their life.

You either have it or you don't. Many don't.

• Members

Stevetemp hit the nail on the head.

Ar first thought I agree with Jesse G. but I think there are non-self serving acts.

When a soldier goes into the army he is taught what for many is a new code of conduct and thinking...honor and duty. Doing what your told because your obedience and sacrifice is for the greater good.

When a man and a woman manage to negotiate a rough spot in their marriage without taking the easy wy out of divorce (marital suicide) for the love of God and His commandments, same thing honor and duty.

The reason duty sits outside the realm of selfishness is that duty encompasses things we would normally not do, why not because there is no selfish reward. Raising children is an honor and a duty. Anyone who says kids are just self serving and rewarding are people who have never had kids.

The ability to live by duty with honor is the core of true character, and this maybe the very standard that we are in danger of losing in this "me" generation.

• Members

when i think of saving someones life, i think "man, i am gonna be famous if i died for someone else."

I would protect my wife and sons with no other thought than "this is my job....GET TO IT"

I would have fearful thoughts for sure but my motivation would be my heartfelt sworn sense of duty.

I could oly imagine the personal shame I would feel if I failed to try with all my heart if my family was threatened, a private shame that would never go away.

• Members

Ar first thought I agree with Jesse G. but I think there are non-self serving acts.

When a soldier goes into the army he is taught what for many is a new code of conduct and thinking...honor and duty. Doing what your told because your obedience and sacrifice is for the greater good.

When a man and a woman manage to negotiate a rough spot in their marriage without taking the easy wy out of divorce (marital suicide) for the love of God and His commandments, same thing honor and duty.

The reason duty sits outside the realm of selfishness is that duty encompasses things we would normally not do, why not because there is no selfish reward. Raising children is an honor and a duty. Anyone who says kids are just self serving and rewarding are people who have never had kids.

The ability to live by duty with honor is the core of true character, and this maybe the very standard that we are in danger of losing in this "me" generation.

we live in 2 different worlds, my man.

in my experience, people joined the army recently for money, because it's a job and when it's done, they are no different. they go in, they repeat lines they are taught, and they do their job.

and you haven't seen the parents i grew up around, with, and who my friends have become.

• Members

we live in 2 different worlds, my man.

in my experience, people joined the army recently for money, because it's a job and when it's done, they are no different. they go in, they repeat lines they are taught, and they do their job.

and you haven't seen the parents i grew up around, with, and who my friends have become.

We only live in "two different worlds" in our head. We LIVE in one world. Fact.

It's a big combination of things that determine our viewpoint and experience of it. Still...it is one world.

We need to imagine something that isn't "in our world", as you call it.

• Members

Why do I believe you? I do!..because a lot of humans believe the same thing. It's part of our problems.

Some people can actually do things with ZERO reward..even costs them. Sometimes their life.

You either have it or you don't. Many don't.

Of course people do thinks for the good of others, and get zero reward.

That is, except for the satisfaction of doing something for the good of others, for zero reward...

• Members

Of course people do thinks for the good of others, and get zero reward.

That is, except for the satisfaction of doing something for the good of others, for zero reward...

Again..a huge mistake on your part.

You seem to think everything you (other people) do will give you "satisfaction". A Freudian World. Maybe for you. but maybe NOT for others.

I disagree with Freud. Some things....even a so called "selfless" thing....is zero sum. Nothing gained not even any satisfaction of any kind. It seems hard for you to imagine, and I'm starting to understand why.

My last post about this. If you don't "get it"...you never will.

And trust me...I understand the "motivation" thing. Many argue the simple act of taking a {censored} is because of some satisfying (physiological) feeling well after the actual act. Can't argue with that. But sometimes...that isn't what it is. Call it what you want...divine intervention, human spirit, "selfishness" even I guess...if that is what you want it to be.

• Members

There is no getting out. The choice the soldier made by living by the code of his duty is like every other choice a person makes. He did what, in the big picture is what he wanted. :idk: That's not to say he was selfish though, no way. Just not completely self-less.

• Members

It's none of anyone's business what someone does, until it's suicide. I love that mentality. If you really cared about someone, then making them feel like {censored} for wanting to end pain is seriously {censored}ed up.

If someone wants to die, and you feel that it would be selfish and painful for them to do that to you, then you seriously are {censored}ed up for not being there for them enough to get them the help they need. Ignorance is not bliss, and you are just as guilty if you feel wronged when someone kills themselves.

No two people are the same, and who are you to judge, or even tell someone that they need to keep on living. You don't know what another person is going through, and even if you've had similar experiences, you aren't anywhere near the same person they are. Some people are weaker than others. Get over it. I wish there was more support for people who wished to end their lives.

For a person who fails at attempted suicide the aftermath is absolutely horrible. In some places you can be charged with a felony and lose all of your rights. You will be put on nasty drugs that will {censored} up your life even more. You will have assholes tell you how {censored}ty a person you are for trying to kill yourself. You will be given a bunch of stupid stories about how great life is for other people and how {censored}ed up you are for not being like them. You will be hospitalized, tied up, drugged, berated, and put down for anywhere from a week to several months.

Some reward for living huh? Next time someone kills themselves and you feel bad, why don't you start thinking about how selfish you are instead.

Archived