Is Suicide Wrong, Is it the ultimate act of Selfishness?

Hardvalve

• Members

I also suffer from depression. Don't know if it's clinical or not but it's some serious depression none the less. When my doctor asked me if I felt suicidal I suddenly realized why I've been depressed. It's not that I feel like committing suicide. I don't. It's that I'm depressed because I know I'm going to die some day and I don't want to go. And, it's not that I started feeling that way as I've grown older. I've worried about that since I was 20. Frankly, if the thought of waiting around to die doesn't depress you then you are either ignoring reality or you are on far better meds than I am.

Seriously. Life is a precious gift. Hang on to it. The only thing that is depressing about it is when you come to the realization that God is an Indian giver. All you can do is hope that he's got more in store for you than just that.

You know what? Screw this. I wasn't even feeling all that depressed until I read this morbid ass thread. Now I need to go to the bathroom and take some more meds. Hope I don't decide to kill myself while I'm in there. Thanks a lot for the reminder!

I have been living under the threat of imminent death for over 6 years, ever since I was told I had stage 4 cirrhosis and needed a liver transplant if I was to survie. I was given no more than 1-2 years to live without a transplant and my quality of life would be unbearable.

I got the liver but 1 year ago I was told I once again had stage 4 cirrhosis (HepC is not cured by a transplant and it will re-attack the new liver), but, the average life expectancy of transplant recipients is 8-12 years; however once you reach stage four there is very little to be done except treat the symptoms.

I have come to accept my death and I am surprised every 6 months that I survive. In the last 12 months I have had open heart surgery and two incarcerated hernia's (this can kill you in less than 24 hours). I contacted a full body infection that was the cause for the bypass surgery I needed, I also had a valve replaced. My doctors told me and my wife that after two weeks from the first surgery that it was a miracle that I survived. I heal quickly.

Anyway we CAN accept our deaths and come to a place of peace without being delusional or crazy.

Our natural responses to a threat is to run or fight, acceptance is where we do neither, we stop fighting and move on with our lives.

Sorry for rambling on it's just that I cannot figure out a short way to share this crap, I am personally extremely bored with all of it, please pray and send mojo for me for the obvious reasons and more immediately I have applied for disability and will hear the answer in 60-90 days. We need this for I cannot work and my business is up for sale.

I own a remodeling business Liberty Home Services, check us out at www.libertyhomeservices.net. I have owned it since 1978.

Peace Bob

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Simply losing my father to natural causes when I was 14 had completely affected my entire life as well as everyone else in my family. I can only imagine the situation you experienced and am very sorry to hear that, though my step brother shot himself with my father's gun when he was only 21 (I was 12 at the time), so I also know how suicide can utterly hurt a family and everyone else the person was close to. And that had also left a permanent impression on me.

But I don't believe everyone's situation is the same and won't say everyone who commits suicide has done something terrible or selfish. Some possible scenarios:

This is an incredible post. I was fairly suicidal at one point- I was untreated for a number of thing. If I had taken my life, it certainly would have been selfish to an extent, but to blame a person who really isn't a sane state of mind for taking their own life is a little preposterous imo. Fortunately, I found the rationale to think my actions through, but those who do not do so aren't automatically selfish. IMO, anyways.

• Members

When is somebody actually considered to be "suicidal?" It it when they have attempted it and failed, or if they've been contemplating it pretty deeply?

My understanding is that it is dangerous when they start to visualize the act. I person who has reached the decision to suicide displays peace and serenity..not to be confused with real peace, it is just the emotional reaction to having finally settled the issue with a decision.

• Members
I have been living under the threat of imminent death for over 6 years, ever since I was told I had stage 4 cirrhosis and needed a liver transplant if I was to survie. I was given no more than 1-2 years to live without a transplant and my quality of life would be unbearable.

I got the liver but 1 year ago I was told I once again had stage 4 cirrhosis (HepC is not cured by a transplant and it will re-attack the new liver), but, the average life expectancy of transplant recipients is 8-12 years; however once you reach stage four there is very little to be done except treat the symptoms.

I have come to accept my death and I am surprised every 6 months that I survive. In the last 12 months I have had open heart surgery and two incarcerated hernia's (this can kill you in less than 24 hours). I contacted a full body infection that was the cause for the bypass surgery I needed, I also had a valve replaced. My doctors told me and my wife that after two weeks from the first surgery that it was a miracle that I survived. I heal quickly.

Anyway we CAN accept our deaths and come to a place of peace without being delusional or crazy.

Our natural responses to a threat is to run or fight, acceptance is where we do neither, we stop fighting and move on with our lives.

Sorry for rambling on it's just that I cannot figure out a short way to share this crap, I am personally extremely bored with all of it, please pray and send mojo for me for the obvious reasons and more immediately I have applied for disability and will hear the answer in 60-90 days. We need this for I cannot work and my business is up for sale.

I own a remodeling business Liberty Home Services, check us out at
www.libertyhomeservices.net
. I have owned it since 1978.

Peace Bob

I will give you my departed mothers wishes that she always had for me. God Bless you and keep you. You will be in my prayers. I don't know where we are all going but I do know that it's an infinite universe and we are all part of that infinity. I will see you on the other side soon enough my friend. I know that it will be good. Hang in there man.

• Members

I will give you my departed mothers wishes that she always had for me. God Bless you and keep you. You will be in my prayers. I don't know where we are all going but I do know that
it's an infinite universe and we are all part of that infinity
. I will see you on the other side soon enough my friend. I know that it will be good. Hang in there man.

I don't agree with much when it comes to post-life discussion but this is awesome and I share this belief.

• Members

I will give you my departed mothers wishes that she always had for me. God Bless you and keep you. You will be in my prayers. I don't know where we are all going but I do know that it's an infinite universe and we are all part of that infinity. I will see you on the other side soon enough my friend. I know that it will be good. Hang in there man.

Thanks very much S-man.

• Members

I'm very much a "buck up and deal with your problems" kind of person. I wasn't raised to feel sorry for myself, and I don't feel sorry for those who do. Before anyone tries to tell me that I just don't know what it's like, you're wrong. I've been through deep {censored}, including a severe drug addiction that redefined the meaning of rock bottom for me. I've had people close to me die. I've had times where I felt that I was in too deep a hole. Want to talk about depression? There's a big difference between feeling like your life is {censored}ed up and realizing that your life REALLY is completely {censored}ed. But you know what? Life isn't fair. Yes, some people have it easier than you. Some people have it worse than you. Dwelling on your lot in life will get you nowhere because you sure as hell aren't going to change where you came from. At some point you have to pick your {censored} up and push forward. If you don't and you choose the other option, well you'll be remembered as someone who couldn't take the heat like the rest of the human race, and ended your experience with a bang. Bye. Tell Darwin I said hello. I prefer to push on and live out a purposeful life, with my eyes on the goal of continually being a better person, achieving better things and experiencing more love in my life. As soon as you stop doing that, you're already dead anyways.

• Members

I notice that 'depression' is bantered about in this thread, but not 'Chronic Illness' as a source for suicidal thoughts. I'd like to see how well you 'deal with your own problems' types cope with being sick all the time, perhaps to the point that you can't work.

• Members

Suicide, is it immoral, sin, selfish, is it "wrong". If so, then why, if not, then why.

Discuss.

Selfish? A college freshman or sophomore is taking Philosophy 101 and has a term paper due and thinks an amp forum will do it for him posting about suicide on an amp forum is incredibly selfish, as evidenced by the posts you've brought up incredibly painful memories that chances are folks that posted hadn't thought about in a while, and just by coming here to talk about amps they are brought back to a place of incredibly painful anugish. Sorry dude, I don't normally call out folks for posting things, but seriously man, do your own {censored}ing paper.

• Members

I notice that 'depression' is bantered about in this thread, but not 'Chronic Illness' as a source for suicidal thoughts. I'd like to see how well you 'deal with your own problems' types cope with being sick all the time, perhaps to the point that you can't work.

So are you telling me that the point of life is work, and you should kill yourself if you can't do it?

• Members

So are you telling me that the point of life is work, and you should kill yourself if you can't do it?

No, but working gives you money, money gives you options, etc. I'm just curious about what the pitiless/religious types in this thread would do if they found themselves with a chronic illness that radically changed their lives or left them feeling miserable or in agony most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Selfish? A college freshman or sophomore is taking Philosophy 101 and has a term paper due and thinks an amp forum will do it for him posting about suicide on an amp forum is incredibly selfish, as evidenced by the posts you've brought up incredibly painful memories that chances are folks that posted hadn't thought about in a while, and just by coming here to talk about amps they are brought back to a place of incredibly painful anugish. Sorry dude, I don't normally call out folks for posting things, but seriously man, do your own {censored}ing paper.

I graduated college many years ago, this is a valid discussion, and they have nothing to do with a paper. My father committed suicide, so, I will ask a question if I want. Way to be a dick. Asshole.

Now please discuss.

• Members

I graduated college many years ago, this is a valid discussion, and they have nothing to do with a paper. My father committed suicide, so, I will ask a question if I want. Way to be a dick. Asshole.

Now please discuss.

I support you in that. Everyone here has a right to post anything they want as long as it doesn't blatantly violate forum rules. Other than that I prefer to post on forums and live my life without "sacred cows" in our midst.

• Members

If anything removing God from the equation helped. As a kid I dealt with religious foolishness (my opinion of course..don't let it spark a religion debate) and went my own way regarding religious philosophy. So far it's worked. I recently went through a really bad point and I'm clawing my way out of it bit by bit. I have dysthymia which is a low grade depression that often turns into actual depression..it runs in the family and my mother went through the same thing. Even though I know what I have is a mental thing I'm not yet ready to give up life, but I always keep it on the back burner as a possible options years down the road if all else fails.

My mother went through depression watching her mother go through Alzheimer's and she feared ending up the same way. My mother has an entire rap sheet of medical problems and as they are in the family, she's the oldest living person in her family because she's the only one who had the money and good enough insurance to deal with it. With her rough childhood, her relationship with her mother, her declining health and realizing she doesn't have much family left she stopped taking care of herself and in no time the issue got too great for her to deal with. She was on a breathing machine, had adult onset asthma, deteriorated disks in her back, two replaced knees, diabetes, high blood pressure, she's morbidly obese, etc, etc. Eventually she stopped caring and just ate constantly and didn't take her meds the way she was supposed to. For years it was a monthly to bi-monthly routine to pull her out of a low blood sugar reaction or call the ambulance and have her hospitalized due to it. 8 months ago while I was with my boyfriend (I was always scared to leave her because I feared something would happen, as my father wasn't much help) I got a call from my father saying my mother suffered massive brain damage from dying twice, once for over 15 min. Since then we've been trying to take care of her, but it's hard seeing a woman who was a MENSA member now literally retarded. She has ended up EXACTLY like her mother which was her greatest fear and even though she's in the state she's in I can tell somewhere in her head there's some rationale and she shows this is how she's become.

What happened to her affected me greatly. My boyfriend was already putting strain on things as the gay issue didn't sit well with my parents, who are Jehovah's Witnesses. At 26 I was still living at home because I was afraid of something happening to her and I knew I couldn't trust my father with her care totally. I feared that the moment I try to actually have a life, something would happen to her and it did. She was the only one supportive of my relationship because she was glad I had someone who made me happy, and she was my only defense in a family of people that had very negative things to say. With my mother gone, my father used that as his moment to give me the ultimatum to go straight or get out, forcing me to leave. With the awaytime I had, I started realizing how alike me and my mother were and I went further into depression. I used to talk to her everyday and relied on her advice, now I was living with my boyfriend, moved out for the first time with no one but him to talk to. I had no advice on relationships or anything and it made it hard. Even the comforts I had of music was gone because I realized everything I loved listening to was something my mother liked as well. Everything was a constant reminder, even the things that used to make me feel better so I had no "safety net". The depression strained my relationship almost to the breaking point, which made me worse because in these situations I'd ask my mother for advice and I couldn't and I had no one else to go to. My mother used to always say I'd miss her when she was gone and she was right, and those were the worst days of my life because I'd never felt so helpless and alone and I didn't even know how to start getting out of it. I realized I was now in my mother's place when she watched her mother deal with something similar. I have a smart mouth like my mother, I have her temperment, even my relationship oddly parallels my parent's relationship in a lot of ways and one of the things that bothered me was I feared I'd end up like my grandmother and my mother somewhere down the road and I didn't want to live just to end up like that.

So when I say I think suicide is a valid option..it's because I think it is. I know for a fact that my mother would rather die than be the way she is now, and I would rather it to because I wouldn't have to worry about her and see her suffering the way that she is. If I were in her position I'd want to die as well. She's not living..just existing and her brain is firing off broken impulses that used to make up who she was..my mother as I knew her is dead and isn't coming back. I considered suicide several times in recent months and part of the only reason I didn't do it was because I didn't want that weighing on my boyfriend's conscience and I couldn't find a fast enough way to take myself out without potentially {censored}ing it up and ending up in the hospital instead of just flat out dead. In a matter of months I'd lost my job, my band, my family, my peace, my friends, my mother, my love for music which was one of the only things giving me purpose, and I was losing my relationship and I knew when that was over I'd literally have nothing and as bad as it felt then, I knew hitting total rock bottom would only be worse and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'm nowhere near totally fine now, but I'm better than I was and I'm digging myself out of my own grave, but I know there's no guarantee that I'll never fall back into that slump.

I think it sounds like you know the danger signals, having witnessed them twice. Insighful post, I hope you're looking at a straight uphill for a while now, man.

Take care!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Asshole. Answered your question then too.

• Members

Now please discuss.

^^^^

• Members

I haven't read the entire thread, but a good bit of it.

I also haven't seen much talk of the mental conditions of people who kill themselves.

I think that most folks who kill themselves have something terribly wrong in their brains, and it's hard for me to call someone with an affliction like that selfish.

Archived